Texas Fishing Forum

Best Size Worm Hook?

Posted By: ftwfishing

Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 08:31 PM

What is the best sized work hook for medium sized bass
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 08:46 PM

I tend to fish for large sized bass myself...usually a 3/0 Owner wide gap hook for me....
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 08:47 PM

Since you asked about Senkos in your other question, I assume that is what you are asking about here. 3/0 is the size for the best action from the bait. If that isn't what you are asking, not sure what you really mean? I have caught bass up to 5lbs on a #6 split shot drop shot hook.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 08:51 PM

Depends on the size and or thickness of the bait for me. I'm not using a small hook on a big ole thick bait,.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 08:58 PM

4/0
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: june-bug
Depends on the size and or thickness of the bait for me. I'm not using a small hook on a big ole thick bait,.

^^^ what he said.
there is no such thing as best. shank size depends on the length of the bait, gap size depends on the thickness.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 09:02 PM

this

I use anything from 3/0-7/0 depending on the bait

A 4/0 should be a good number for most baits
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 09:34 PM

A 3/0 for a 6 inch worm, a 4/0 for a 7 inch worm. a 5/0 -6/0 for the 8-10 inch is what I have read in a good detailed book.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Best Size Worm Hook? - 10/19/15 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S

^^^ what he said.
there is no such thing as best. shank size depends on the length of the bait, gap size depends on the thickness.

Simple as that^^^

You may consider a straight shank or an off-set shank also.
Make sure you use a good quality hook! I like Owner.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum