Texas Fishing Forum

Winter Clothing

Posted By: Jkrez

Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 05:38 PM

I've done a lot of online searching around, but can't really find the article or thread that answers my need.

This year I want an overhaul on my winter fishing clothing. I'm tired of the years of layering up like a snowman and feeling like the Michelin man while casting. Most of our winter days are 40-50+, with about 1/4 of the year dipping below that. I want to be able to wear a minimal amount of clothing, but still be warm enough to be comfortable.

I'm not going to stop layering, as I know that's the best method to stay warm and comfortable, but I'd like to some options.

What is the best clothing setup for winter time, while ALSO being waterproof? I currently have H20's rain suit, and it's a good rain suit, but the warmth characteristics are nil. I still have to wear another jacket underneath it to feel warm.

Do they make a set of bibs and pants that have fleece lined waterproof bibs and a good arm waterproof jacket? To me that would be ideal as I could just throw on the jacket when its 40+ and be fine.
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 05:40 PM

BPS 100mph suit. Good stuff
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 05:45 PM

100 mph suit with fleece liner for the parka. Sock cap. Still have to wear long handles for the legs with blue jeans or sweat pants on really cold days and good socks and you should stay toasty even on the windiest and coldest day.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 06:01 PM

With all the stuff that is available today, there is no reason to be cold or the Michelin man.
I wear a pair of quality long jons,jeans and an h20 rainsuit. This covers me down to about 30. Colder than that and I'm changing out my rainsuit to my bibs and parka that I wear duck hunting.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 06:05 PM

Under Armor Base 3.0 w/ one more layer over that under BPS Pro Qualifier parka/bibs is very warm and not too restrictive.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 06:11 PM

I wear UA 4.0 cold gear top then pull over a UA 4.0 Mock over that with Hoodie
Bottoms I wear UA 4.0 Cold Gear with sweat pants.
Then I put on my BPS 100 mph bibs and parka with fleece liner when really cold. I do not feel like the Michelin man wearing this.
First layer I wear my normal size, then second layer I bump up to the next size larger. I can move around freely like this.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 06:18 PM

Texans are funny roflmao when it gets "cold" what you need is space between the cold and you. Tight fitting clothing is usually no bueno, so toss on some Carhartt bibs and a good goose down vest. Put whatever raincoat you want on top of that and you'll be sweating most winter days, and if it happens to get down to 5 or so, you should be good too thumb
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 06:31 PM

Fleece and goose down that's all I need if it's really cold I put on two layers of fleece and plus goose you will be coming out of that when the sun comes up
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 06:51 PM

I just bought a pair of Wall's insulated bibs at Walmart for $60, wore sweat pants under, a thin fleece hoodie over a sweat shirt and a thin rain jacket to help block the wind. Never felt cold, never felt restricted and never got wet. More importantly, didn't break the bank.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 08:32 PM

100 MPH suits are great but too hot for me most days in Texas.
I bought a set of Frabill bibs at academy that are much lighter than my 100mph suit.
I wear the Frabills lots more than the 100mph.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 10:11 PM

Do what the little misses does. Put you about ten of the hand warmer packets in ever pocket you got. Instant heat and it is lightweight
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: deuce41
Under Armor Base 3.0 w/ one more layer over that under BPS Pro Qualifier parka/bibs is very warm and not too restrictive.

Same here^^. Warm on the coldest of days and not restrictive.
100 MPH suits are nice but I'm a hot blood so they are too warm for me.
Posted By: Flyer

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/19/15 11:09 PM

I'm with the UA base. I actually use the EnduraSkin (BPS brand of UA thermals), but use the cold gear. Then, jeans and a long sleev t-shirt, a hoody and my Frogg Togg bibs and jacket. I also have been through several gloves to find the right balance between bulk and dexterity. UA Scent blocker gloves are that perfect balance for me. They are tight fitting 2 layer cold gear material. I also have a matching balaclava (UA Scent block).

Sometimes, when it gets real cold I will add a par of pajama pants between the jeans and first layer. I also have a 2 layer UA jacket that I can add on top of the hoodie that will make me hot in most conditions in this area.

The jacket adds more bulk than I would prefer, but I'm not usually out when that's needed.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/20/15 10:22 AM

The Cabela's Guidewear Extreme series rainwear is comparable or better than the 100mph product, and just a tad heavier/warmer. It's definitely NOT for mild to warm temps (just too hot for that). Cabela's has some extreme parka/bib pricing in their bargain cave that can save you ~$75 on a set vs. the 100mph parka/bib.

I use Cabela's Bass Angler Guidewear for mild to warm outings. Which suit goes in the boat depends on weather. Both are the best in class I've ever owned.

Another good option is Cabela's Tourney Trail rainwear. I have this also. It's too heavy for summer use, but would be a good winter option for less than Guidewear. It's comparable to BPS Pro Qualifier rainwear, but also in Cabela's bargain cave for less $.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/20/15 11:17 AM

Arctic Armor will keep you warmer than anything else out there and it floats so you don't have to wear a life jacket when you're wearing it.

https://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php
Posted By: Fishin Machine

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/20/15 12:29 PM

It is starting to get that time up here in my neck of the woods. I bought the insulated Cabela's Guide Wear 11 years ago and it is still going strong. I have fished in some cold weather here in WV and I have jeans on under the bibs and a long sleeve T-shirt with a hooded sweatshirt and as far as layering that is it.

Oh yeah, I will put a couple pocket warmers in the bib and jacket pockets. I will also get those ThermaCare wraps to keep my back and shoulders warm because I have a tendency to tense up.

The main thing for me is to keep my feet warm and dry. Stay safe
Posted By: Fishin Machine

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/21/15 09:55 AM

I just got a sale paper in the mail from Cabela's for cold weather gear Oct 22 - Nov 8
Posted By: Grant_K

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/21/15 09:41 PM

This stuff looks nice and floats: http://www.strikerstore.com
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/22/15 02:04 AM

Arctic Armor from Idigear. No layering required. Will keep you dry and very warm
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/22/15 02:17 AM

Under Amour base, fleece pants, and Columbia rain pants over the fleece. Windproof fleece jacket..all I need in TX. I do have an Arctic Armor set that I wore in Oklahoma and MO and it is the cats meow in warmth and dry.

Stay away from cotton...that only holds the moisture.

Make sure you have room in your shoes or boots for your feet to move with heavy socks.

Keep your head and neck warm and you will stay warmer.

Make sure you're hydrated.

Gman
Posted By: Jay Kumar

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/29/15 04:06 PM

+1 to Guide Wear and 100mph suit for staying dry. Have not tried UA rainwear yet but I hear it's good

For staying warm -- comfortably warm -- definitely the UA stuff and also the mountain-crowd stuff (Icrebreaker, Smartwool, Patagonia) made out of merino wool is awesome. Merino keeps you warm, not too warm, not itchy and an amazing benefit also cuts down on BO!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/29/15 06:22 PM

I wear quality long underwear I got in Colorado top and bottom. Jeans and a polar fleece over that. BPS Pro Qualifier suit over that. Wool blend socks, insulated boots, gloves, and hand warmers in my pockets. I can't fish wearing gloves so I like to be able to stick my hands in for a quick warm-up.

I seldom wear anything other than a baseball cap and the Pro Qualifier hood on my head. Most times I don't even wear the hood.
Posted By: Rob Matthews

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/29/15 06:28 PM

Cabelas guidewear late season bibs and jacket you won't regret it. There gore tex 100% waterproof and insulated. I feel like I could go ice fishing and still be warm. Also need some heavy duty leggings and top.
Posted By: aquaholic1822

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/29/15 11:27 PM

duluth firehose pants lined with fleece are the bomb
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/30/15 07:24 PM

What kind of footwear / boots to you all use. My issue most times is the boots I have are rather clumsy. Looking for suggestions.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/30/15 07:36 PM

My Mucks are very comfortable and warm with a pair of Simms wool wading socks
Posted By: IIIMag

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/30/15 11:56 PM

For the first two layers, dress like you'll be downhill skiing: Thin, double-layered first layer to trap air between layers, then a thin mock turtleneck design tightly woven polyester layer with a zipper in top/front. Put on a wool or flannel shirt over that and a good Gore Tex outer layer and you're set. In really cold or cold/windy conditions, you can add another layer and still not feel like a Michelin ad.
Posted By: chas1

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/31/15 04:54 PM

Anyone tried the motorcycle gloves that have the batteries ,and sensors in them.

they are pricey though
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Winter Clothing - 10/31/15 05:02 PM

Let me save u some money. Go to Cabelas.com and go to the bargain cave and look at the insulated Guidewear suits. Sometimes you can get last years model for half what they normally are. Ask me how I know this.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum