Texas Fishing Forum

Athens in the morning

Posted By: UTDmiller

Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 06:50 PM

I plan on hitting athens tomorrow, just brought home my first boat so its time to put it to use. How packed do yall think it will be?
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 06:52 PM

It will be packed

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 06:53 PM

hmm, just wondering if it is still worth joining the crowd
Posted By: Justin Shelton

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 07:07 PM

I'd go.. Just find a cove or something to get out of the traffic
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 07:37 PM

Bout 20 boats on Monday morning last week is what I heard
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 07:46 PM

I'm either going to Athens or Quitman in the morning. I would expect Athens to have a decent crowd. Good luck with the new boat!
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 07:50 PM

I believe there's a tournament there tomorrow also...
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 08:00 PM

I've only been there once ... a week day. But to see how many rigs they have parking spaces for just amazed me. For such a small lake I can't imagine what it would look like with a full crowd.

I'm going back again soon (a 6 hr drive) but it will be week days. I would guess the fishing only gets better with cooler weather.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 08:04 PM

Our club is there tomorrow as well....typically parking lot can hold upwards of 30+ rigs easy
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 08:22 PM

Athens has overflow parking for 100 boat trailers.
There is plenty of room on Athens, lots of good fishing places and lots of real nice slot fish to be caught.
good fishing right now. Get on a grass bed and throw some Watermelon magic Senkos and flukes and don't go running around the lake.
last week I pulled up to my favorite spot and there was a boat on it, so we waited a 100 yards or so away. Caught a few small ones, the other boat caught nothing. They pull up and leave and I move in ....... bam,,, start catching nice fish. It is just a matter of timing and presentation.
Go have fun.
Posted By: BrotherB

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/16/15 11:59 PM

Shhh there's a tournament there tomorrow!!!!
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/19/15 12:21 PM

so how did Athens fish over the weekend.
I was at the Berkley on Fork for 2 days.
Looking forward to getting back out on Athens

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/19/15 01:25 PM

I ended up not going, insurance didn't come through in time Friday and didn't feel like risking it, Went fishing with my brother on hubbard. Going somewhere this weekend and Athens may be the spot
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/19/15 01:31 PM

It fished decent. Lots of 15-17" fish. Overs were hard to come by. Unders were smashing a 7" worm T-rigged on the outside edges of grass about 3/4 way in the creeks. A few schools were found but not like the last few weeks.

Had a 8+ on a frog get off at the boat...would have been the best fish of the day.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/19/15 01:52 PM

That little lake is awesome and gets pounded like a prom date ...
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Athens in the morning - 10/19/15 02:02 PM

That lake does get hammered like no other small lake in this state. It's incredible to talk to people and hear about 20+ boats on a Monday morning. Amazing how much it's being pressured during the week now, not just weekends.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum