Texas Fishing Forum

Getting familiar with your Electronics question

Posted By: windfarm1

Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/14/15 09:29 PM

Has anyone ever hired a guide specifically to teach them how to use their electronics? Particularly, for how to learn to do what the guys on northern lakes do a lot where they see fish on them, set up over them and then watch their lure fall down to them and catch fish. If so, is it just a typical day rate and who would be the guide to learn from?
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/14/15 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: windfarm1
Has anyone ever hired a guide specifically to teach them how to use their electronics? Particularly, for how to learn to do what the guys on northern lakes do a lot where they see fish on them, set up over them and then watch their lure fall down to them and catch fish. If so, is it just a typical day rate and who would be the guide to learn from?

Haven't used him yet, but many on here have and say it's well worth it.

Slade Dougharty
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/14/15 11:58 PM

I used Slade. He does and excellent job of setting them all up then taking you around the lake and showing you how to read them. I think it was about 4 hours and it is all done on your boat with your electronics. If you are really new to them, 4 hours is more than enough. He gave out so much information that I couldn't absorb it all. You'll leave much more confident in your electronics. I believe that it was around $250 but don't hold me to it.

I'm probably going to go back and take another trip with him just to absorb the information that I couldn't take in on one trip. He is on Fork. Good guy and explains everything to you very well. Bring a note pad. I wish I had.
Posted By: West Texas FX

Re: Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/15/15 01:57 AM

I had a guide trip on Monday specificly to learn how to better understand my lowrance sonar, down scan, & side scan. We spent the first hour on how to fine tune the sensitivity,contrast, depth, screens, etc. next three hours idling around locating grass ,structure, cover, & fish. This really helped me confirm the difference between junk and fish. The last two hours we decided to fish deep water dropshotting. We put the troll motor in the water, saw fish on a drop off ( I actually saw them) and first cast "fish in the boat" wow guess he knew what he was doing!! Can't wait to get on the water this weekend
Best money I have spent on fishing!!
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/15/15 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: deuce41

Slade Dougharty

Same here, in the marine electronics world his name is half whispered and god like..... I heard he is the best
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/15/15 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: R6crew

Slade Dougharty

Same here, in the marine electronics world his name is half whispered and god like..... I heard he is the best

This
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Getting familiar with your Electronics question - 10/15/15 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Originally Posted By: R6crew
[quote=windfarm1]Has anyone ever hired a guide specifically to teach them how to use their electronics? Particularly, for how to learn to do what the guys on northern lakes do a lot where they see fish on them, set up over them and then watch their lure fall down to them and catch fish. If so, is it just a typical day rate and who would be the guide to learn from?

Slade Dougharty

I love to video game fish and teach people what they are looking at. I will be the first to tell you Slade is the man for setting them up. I'd book him if graph set up is what your wanting to learn. Heck it makes me want to book him just to make sure I'm not forgetting something.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum