Texas Fishing Forum

Line breaking with tungsten

Posted By: brobro70

Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 01:33 AM

Anyone had problems with their line breaking while using tungsten weights? I have been fishing them for years and recently was using some of the new strike king 3/8 with no insert and broke off several times while setting the hook...Never had this problem before. Im using 15lb big game and some florocarbon. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Madman Phoenix

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 01:37 AM

Need to use the tungsten with the inserts. Or retired often.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 01:55 AM

Check the inside of the weight might have some rough spots. I had this happen to me on some "cheap" tungsten without inserts
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 02:11 AM

I've had that problem with those exact same tungsten. Some of the SK ones come really rough around the edges. I had to file some and I threw some away.

The other thing is a bead, are you using a glass bead? I learned the hard way that tungsten will crack and chip class beads, which will absolutely shred your line.
Posted By: 98Champion

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 02:43 AM

I hate to tell you this but just throw those strike king tungsten weights in the trash. I had the exact same problem with those weights and I've got a ton of them but quit using them due to this same problem. I switched to the Picasso tungsten and have never had the problem again. SK tungsten is very harsh on fluorocarbon and frays it really bad.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 03:21 AM

Slide it up and down you line real hard with pressure on the line. Feel the line to see if messed it up. If so let them know. That's not good if it is so.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Madman Phoenix
Need to use the tungsten with the inserts. Or retired often.

This^... There are some cheaper tungstens that don't have them and will damage the line.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 12:25 PM

I buy all of my tungston weights at Angler Pro Tackle, so I don't know what brand they are but I have never had a problem with them and they don't have an insert.
I do check to make sure they are smooth inside and out, with no sharp edges.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 12:31 PM

I had the same issue with the SK tungsten. Dunno if it's rough edges or that coarse paint job, but something about them frayed my line. Nothing but Picasso for me these days.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 12:58 PM

Don't use inserts. Bad recommendation. The inserts cause friction on fluorocarbon line and will weaken the line. Problem is either the weights themselves are not smooth bore, glass beads that are chipped, your rod tip insert is damaged, or you simply have a bad spool of line.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 01:18 PM

Picasso or Echo pro with out inserts. fish
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 01:29 PM

I started using bobber stops and it stopped the issue. Hard to fray the line when it's pegged and can't slide.
Posted By: C.C. Near Nuthin

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 03:06 PM

this
"I switched to the Picasso tungsten and have never had the problem again. SK tungsten is very harsh on fluorocarbon and frays it really bad."

and this
"I started using bobber stops and it stopped the issue. Hard to fray the line when it's pegged and can't slide."
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
I buy all of my tungston weights at Angler Pro Tackle, so I don't know what brand they are but I have never had a problem with them and they don't have an insert.
I do check to make sure they are smooth inside and out, with no sharp edges.

I used to have issues until I started buying Anglers Pro Tackle also.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Don't use inserts. Bad recommendation. The inserts cause friction on fluorocarbon line and will weaken the line. Problem is either the weights themselves are not smooth bore, glass beads that are chipped, your rod tip insert is damaged, or you simply have a bad spool of line.

Someone needs to tell A-Mart about that. eeks
Last I knew the 2 time BASS AOY would not use one without inserts.. Put them in himself
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 06:49 PM

I've never had a problem with SK or bass pro tungstens with fluorocarbon. I just recently bought some (about 2 months ago) from primary tackle and anglers pro and I haven't had an issue at all with those either. The only line I have used with them is 15 lb seaguar red label
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 08:00 PM

IMO-- Some brands are better than others.
I have found that the only way to be sure is test each and everyone.
The ones that don't past my test get put in a different box.. those will only get used with heavy braid or made into a C-rig on a wire harness with brass ticker or two tungsten wts. The double tungsten wts make a very distinct clack.
Posted By: HunterFJ

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 11:50 PM

+ 1 on the insert free Picasso's never had an issue with them.
Posted By: HunterFJ

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/14/15 11:55 PM

Bad fluorocarbon? Not all are created equally. Knot? Line getting knicked up coming through cover or then again could be the weights.
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/15/15 12:11 AM

Who sells bulk tungsten With inserts? All I ever see is without.... Only ones I can find is Academy brand
Posted By: Fishin Machine

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/15/15 01:19 AM

The only time that I had any problems with line breaking with tungsten is when I used a glass bead. Tungsten is real hard and the constant hitting together cracked the beads and shaved the bead inside and damaged line.
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/15/15 02:51 AM

Never had a problem with SK tungsten here either, also the paint will wear smoothly after a lot of dragging through rocks and sand, but doesn't chip off, not even when stored loose with other weights.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/15/15 09:09 AM

A. Martens did a nice video on how he makes/installs his own inserts. I intend to get some bulk heat-shrink and follow his lead. I believe that video is on Youtube...
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/15/15 01:23 PM

Guys I don't think inserts will help the bad SK tungsten. The ones I had an issue with weren't fraying the line when they were sliding on the line. It would happen when I hopped the bait. I noticed that those weights have a pentagonal shape at the base, if you run your finger across that edge, sometimes you can feel one that was REALLY sharp. I think it's probably a result of their manufacturing process. An insert isn't going to stick out far enough to stop the line damage, unless you leave it unusually long.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/15/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
I've had that problem with those exact same tungsten. Some of the SK ones come really rough around the edges. I had to file some and I threw some away.

The other thing is a bead, are you using a glass bead? I learned the hard way that tungsten will crack and chip class beads, which will absolutely shred your line.

Pretty much a consistent story with the Strike King. I thought it was just me but I see now it is very common. No SK in my boat. I just threw them all away. That is the only brand I have had problems with but I favor the insert models. Haven't had any problems with those. IF YOU CAN FIND THEM!
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Line breaking with tungsten - 10/16/15 01:02 AM

Here is the link to the Aaron Martins Video! Going to try this unless someone knows where to buy Bulk inserted tungsten?!

http://youtu.be/oKznUdeeWGw
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum