Texas Fishing Forum

Tons of Magnum Spots on Roberts!!

Posted By: BassFisher317

Tons of Magnum Spots on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:37 AM

Well after grinding for days on the Red River, I got invited to go to Roberts this morning by some other high school friends. I've talked a lot about how I want to be a guide when I'm older since I love to teach people about this great sport, so they asked me to guide them today. Roberts is one of my least favorite lakes in the area but even thought i don't have very much knowledge about the lake I was up for the challenge. After getting home at 3:30am from the RR I was picked up at 6:00am and off to my first guide trip! We started the morning throwing top water and split shot rigged swimbaits over shallow flats. We caught a couple fish but it wasn't what I hoped it would be so we changed spots. At the next spot it was similar to the first but it had more bushes and trees to flip. After telling them what to rig up and how and where to fish it we had two 2lb spotted bass in the boat. After that it was one after another but the size wasn't there so we left that spot as well. The next spot I took them to was the complete opposite. It was about 40ft deep and in the middle of the lake on a rock pile. I've never vertical fished before and neither had they so we decided to all try it together and once I told them to rig up what I believe would be the best producing bait for the situation we all dropped down our dropshots. Instantly we all get bit and Sam hooks up. 3lb spotted bass. Then I hook up. Then Hank hooks up. 3lb spot after 3lb spot. It was insane! We were catching fish as fast as we could get them released. All in all we had 56 fish and very happy and pleased friends in a half day trip with a near 16lb limit of spotted bass! My first guide trip was a great success and I can't wait to do it full time in the future! Here is a picture of my biggest two I thought might beat the junior lake record but we're unfortunately a hair short of beating it!
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:43 AM

Awesome... Great pic man
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:47 AM

nice spots!
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:52 AM

Great spots and sounds like a great day. I have been thinking about drop shot ting deep rock piles out there to try and find schools of small mouth that probably don't exist.

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Great spots and sounds like a great day. I have been thinking about drop shot ting deep rock piles out there to try and find schools of small mouth that probably don't exist.

Robert Youngblood is my partner for Bass Champs and at the River he showed me the picture of that one you caught the other day. Toad smallie for Roberts!!
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:58 AM

Good job! Those are some magnum spots!
Posted By: Catbutt

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 01:00 AM

Those are some monster spots. Well done sir!
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 01:36 AM

Pretty fish and hard fighters
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 01:49 AM

That's awesome congrats

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 03:06 AM

Thank you all!! It was the best time I've had in a WHILE
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 09:30 AM

thumb Very cool!
Posted By: Madman Phoenix

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 11:48 AM

I fished two days there this past week. The first day I caught 32 with my best 5 almost 20lbs and the second I caught 44 or 45 buy only had about 13lbs on 5 fish. The lake is fishing pretty good right now and its in really good shape. Water temperature in the mornings was 73degs and the buzz bait was really good.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Funnest day I've ever had on Roberts!! - 10/13/15 12:53 PM

Awesome spots!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum