Texas Fishing Forum

bass fishing out of a baycat

Posted By: gwl2

bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/08/15 01:59 PM

Im thinking of buying a baycat as my new boat. I bass fish 90% if the time. I like the layout of the boat but coming from a legend I am concerned about the gunnels on the boat effecting my fishing when I am trying to stay on windy points. The boat is a solid 2000 lbs so I was thinking that might offset the difference in gunnel height.
Posted By: tjbubba1

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/08/15 02:50 PM

This has been talked about on the bcb forums. At one time I thought about it but storage would be an issue for me and
no inset trolling motor.
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/08/15 08:57 PM

I bass fish out of a Skeeter ZX22 Bay Boat and would not even think about going back to a bass boat and have no problems getting blown around.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/09/15 12:22 AM

If I was going to fish out of a center console for bass it would be either a Haney HO or Majek Extreme.
Posted By: gwl2

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/09/15 01:15 AM

I like both the haynie and majek but I have not seen one with rod lockers.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/10/15 03:51 PM

Haynie will build it any way you want. My BIL has a new one and it is very nice. Just be prepared to pay a premium.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/10/15 05:03 PM

Not trying to sway your decision as the bay cats are really nice, but have you looked at the Pathfinder 2200 Tournament? Rod lockers, big front deck, a ton of storage for a center console, and low sides. Ride is very good and with a 250 SHO runs upper 50s touching 60 light
Posted By: Clint W.

Re: bass fishing out of a baycat - 10/11/15 01:57 AM

The BayCat will fish fine for bass, I considered purchasing one. I fish a Shearwater 23TE center console which is similar to the BayCat.. I had the same concerns as you coming from a 21' Champion bass boat. It has low slung gunnels, will hold 12 rods in the lockers, plenty of storage and runs 63 mph/gps with a 250 SHO. I use an ipilot trolling motor which sucks for bass fishing IMO, wish I'd done more research before that purchase. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum