Texas Fishing Forum

Rigging for wacky rig

Posted By: Dianabass

Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 03:40 PM

Got a new spinning reel yest and went to neighbors pond this morning to try out throwing a wacky rig senko. Was catching lots of fish only problem was line broke a lot. I used 6lb h2o monofilament line. Is this just to light of line? A few fish wrapped me up around some timber laying down and broke. Them it broke couple other times as I was reeling in couple of bigger fish. Used both a palomar and clinch knot. Seemed as tho the palomar held better. Any thoughts?
Posted By: MV

Re: Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 03:46 PM

change line
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 03:49 PM

yes. go up to 10lb.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 03:57 PM

Put 10lb braid on an tie a fluro leader to the braid, only way I'll use a spinning reel
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 04:21 PM

I use 30#-40# superline which has the diameter of 8# mono on most of my spinning reels. I add about 3'-4' of 20# fluorocarbon line for weight to overcome the superline bouyancy.

My ultra light rigs have 20# superline which has a diameter of 6# mono.

There is zero reason to use sewing thread size superline as it has very little shock strength.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 04:35 PM

It's that crappy H2O brand line, it's garbage. Buy some 8 or 10lb P Line CXX and never worry about it breaking.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Rigging for wacky rig - 10/02/15 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Dianabass
Got a new spinning reel yest and went to neighbors pond this morning to try out throwing a wacky rig senko. Was catching lots of fish only problem was line broke a lot. I used 6lb h2o monofilament line. Is this just to light of line? A few fish wrapped me up around some timber laying down and broke. Them it broke couple other times as I was reeling in couple of bigger fish. Used both a palomar and clinch knot. Seemed as tho the palomar held better. Any thoughts?

Upgrade to a premium 10 - 12lb fluorocarbon should do the trick. welcome to the TFF peep
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum