Texas Fishing Forum

Elroy Krueger passed away

Posted By: Mark Perry

Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 03:22 AM

Never met the man but read his name high in the standings for years. Seems we lost another Texas fishing icon. Prayers to his family and friends.

http://www.bassfan.com/docktalk_article/...as#.VgtVDf9dGM8
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 04:00 AM

sorry to hear that, old school fisherman for sure.
Posted By: Sundance

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 04:48 AM

Knew him in the early days of Choke Canyon. He helped my son and I bond on the love of fishing. May he rest in peace!
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 11:11 AM

He was one of the greatest of all time.
He use to dominate in the old Texas State Bass Tournaments.
When all the big names use to fish it.
Even when he was up in years he was still kicking A in the big tournaments. Fishing was his life.
R.I.P Elroy
Posted By: Chato

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Knew him in the early days of Choke Canyon. He helped my son and I bond on the love of fishing. May he rest in peace!

I believe he wrote the Choke Canyon report for Honey Hole Mag. Another great gone.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 12:02 PM

I fished with him once on Choke, while I was down there the In Fishermen crews were down there filming with Elrioy, he invited me to dinner with them, it was pretty cool to hang out with him and those guys, may he rest in peace.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 12:37 PM

Sad to hear.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 01:40 PM

I fished against Elroy in Federation tournaments in the 80' and 90's he was a great angler and will be missed. Always willing to help out with tips when you went to South TX lakes.

RIP Elroy
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 03:10 PM

He loved that golden/yellow spinnerbait! RIP Mr. Krueger.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 03:16 PM

Prayers sent to family and friends. I fished many tournaments against him on Amistad. He was the greatest.
Posted By: Gingerbread Man

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 05:18 PM

I just read that on Bass Fan a few minutes ago. He was definitely one of the early pioneers with BASS and a true legend of South Texas bass fishing. I used to read his reports about Choke in the early days as well as Calaveras when he still had his tackle shop in Universal City. He also wrote about Averhoff which was a well kept secret. I've been lucky enough to fish FLW Tour events on both ends of the boat and meet and fish against many bass fishing legends...but one of my proudest moments was sitting next to Elroy in a Bass Champs Big Bass tournament at Choke Canyon waiting to see if our fish would get an hourly check. I started fishing Choke Canyon when it first opened back in the early 80s and even guided there full time for a couple of years...but there was no one that knew Choke like Elroy.
Posted By: Riotex

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 09/30/15 05:43 PM

Just happened to check the Bass Section on the forum before heading to work and saw this ! Don't care if i'm late today ! I have to take the time and pay my respects to Elroy . As a kid growing up on Calaveras lake i had the privilege to fish next to him while both of our drags were stripping line with the big Hybrid stripers that he helped educate us on. He always knew where they were and why they were there !!! The big Black Bass were his true cup of Tea ! When i was in my late 20s and early 30s I ran into him all the time on Choke ! He always had a few Big fish. He was a true warrior on the lakes ! He knew his stuff and was always admired by many . May he rest in peace as the memories of him still live in our minds. angel Rio
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 10/04/15 12:19 AM

In memory of Mr. Kreguer I have two spinner baits to give away. Sorry I am so late with this but I have been digging through all my old spinner baits to find them.

It was in 1998 during the Travis Team Open on Lake Amistad when Elroy came knocking on my motel door. He knew that I carried my spinner bait building box with me to every tournament. He had lost his GOLDEN BOY to a huge fish in practice along one of the grass lines. These are two of the four we built that night and I am proud to have the pattern for his best spinner baits that he threw everyday on the wind blown grass.

Mr. Kreguer took Big Bass on one of these during that tournament and I got 6th place overall.
Sorry I don't know which one did the job for him but the Indiana Blade got me in the top 10.
Please PM. me if you would like one to remember him by.

Two Kreguer Golden Boys

Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 10/04/15 01:04 AM

Mr. Harper that is a nice tribute to a great fisherman. Those baits came to be known as Neon Gold spinnerbaits on Choke and always caught fish. I still have a few that I throw from time to time. Elroy was always willing to tell people what the fish were biting on and introduced me to the Senko when he first got them in his shop. Have been using them ever since.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 10/04/15 10:05 PM

Prayers sent
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 10/05/15 12:09 AM

I did not know the man but, I am no less sorry to hear of his passing.
May the Lord watch over that family in their hours of need
God Bless
Posted By: megabucks461

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/21/17 05:44 PM

I didn't realize Elroy had passed. I had the pleasure of sharing a boat with him a couple of times. He taught me the many ways to fish a spinner bait on Choke Canyon. Donald Harper I still have many of the old golden spinner baits. I used to go by his shop every day I fished and tell him where I fished and what I did and he would tell me what he would have done in the same situation. Great fisherman.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/21/17 09:14 PM

He could fish that's for sure. He caught fish in tournaments on lake Corpus Christi (Lake Mathis) back then we did not know existed. He used to come down from San Antonio kick our butts back then.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/21/17 10:25 PM

I knew both Krueger brothers, Elroy and Raymond, when fishing in the SABC in the late 60's. Fun guys and both were stars of the club.

Many years later I talked to Elroy at Toledo Bend at the state tournament. Good guy and great fisherman. He will be missed.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/22/17 01:08 AM

Heck of a guy RIP
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/22/17 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
In memory of Mr. Kreguer I have two spinner baits to give away. Sorry I am so late with this but I have been digging through all my old spinner baits to find them.

It was in 1998 during the Travis Team Open on Lake Amistad when Elroy came knocking on my motel door. He knew that I carried my spinner bait building box with me to every tournament. He had lost his GOLDEN BOY to a huge fish in practice along one of the grass lines. These are two of the four we built that night and I am proud to have the pattern for his best spinner baits that he threw everyday on the wind blown grass.

Mr. Kreguer took Big Bass on one of these during that tournament and I got 6th place overall.
Sorry I don't know which one did the job for him but the Indiana Blade got me in the top 10.
Please PM. me if you would like one to remember him by.

Great story Donald. Never met the man but heard his name many times and always in a positive light.
Posted By: WadeMiddleton

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/22/17 09:47 AM

Legend in fishing world. RIP
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/22/17 11:14 AM

I met him in 1972 while a member of the SABC. Nice fellow, and what a bass magnet! RIP, Elroy.
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/22/17 12:08 PM

Sorry to hear that. He guided me once on Choke Canyon and taught me some good locations and baits to use. I also bought stuff from him when he had the shop. Good guy.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/22/17 01:13 PM

I knew Elroy back when he owned Elroy's Fishing Hole. He loved talking about fishing.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Elroy Krueger passed away - 04/23/17 04:02 PM

Y'all DO realize this post is 1 1/2 years old. I know MOST of you do know that Elroy passed in September of 2015. May he rest in peace. A Texas Legend!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum