Texas Fishing Forum

DFW lakes turning over?

Posted By: bassinassassin

DFW lakes turning over? - 09/28/15 01:16 PM

Just thought i would ask because everyone I have talked to about the local lakes, the fishing has been tough.
Posted By: buda13

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/28/15 03:25 PM

Saw signs of turnover in one of the creeks on Texoma Saturday, but it was just one 100 yard section of that creek. Fishing was good, no big ones but caught lots up to about 3 lbs.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/28/15 03:44 PM

You must be fishing the wrong lake. It has been the best month of my life.
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/29/15 08:32 PM

Shouldnt be turning over yet. Not till avg high air temps are consistent in the mid to upper 80's. Fish are probably just starting to transition to prep for turnover. That could be why they are not biting as good for you.
Posted By: OneFishAway

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/29/15 08:51 PM

A few area lakes that I have been on are definitely turning over....
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/29/15 09:04 PM

The definition of turn over is the warmer surface layer cooling enough to drop below the cooler bottom layer. I'm in Houston, so maybe it's a lot colder up in the Northern half of the state, but I would think we are still a ways out from most lakes turning over. I seem to recall a good rule of thumb being a surface temp of 58 degrees.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/29/15 09:14 PM

It usually takes a good cool snap with lows in mid 50's to low 60's, the water surface temps drop drastically as the nights cool and become much longer. We are to the point the nights are around 11-11.5 hours, it won't be long.

Parts of Fork are starting to turn over, my boat was filthy Saturday when I got done fishing...
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/29/15 10:17 PM

This month has been one of the best since the floods. They are chomping on Lewisville, that's for sure.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/29/15 10:25 PM

I found 2 parts of Cypress this weekend where it was obvious it was trying to start turning over. And its more about night time temps than day time. When those start getting into the 50's it gonna start everywhere. That looks like it may be coming to NE this weekend.
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/30/15 02:28 AM

I was on Eagle Mountain this past weekend and water appeared a bit "silky" looking, but couldn't smell anything bad. So I believe the turnover has at least started in the earliest stages.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: DFW lakes turning over? - 09/30/15 03:36 AM

On Fork Sunday, I couldn't find the thermocline. It was CLEAR at 28-35 foot the weeks before. I saw a few bubbles, but nothing that indicated full-on turnover. Oh, and even without the obvious thermocline showing up, the fish were still working the entire depth column from 30 foot up to the surface for feeding.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum