Texas Fishing Forum

New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ???

Posted By: Lee in Texas

New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/27/15 04:43 PM

Am interested to hear from anyone who has one or has been on a rig with one on it.
I know it's electronic so, is it noisey? Too loud or awkward to use as opposed to the traditional cable control units ??? Using it as an 'anchor' or in the iPilot mode, curious as to how much noise it makes in operation
Curious.....
thanks in advance
God Bless
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/27/15 05:37 PM

I've had a MK Terrova with iPilot for a few years. The Ulterra appears to be similar to the Terrova and adds auto stow/deploy, etc.

Yes the electric motor that turns the trolling motor makes some noise. The auto deploy/stow will make noise as well I would think.

Too loud or awkward is personal judgement. To me the whirring sound made when my Terrova turns is minor and not an issue. Awkward? It takes some use on the water to learn and adapt to the way's these electrically steered trolling motors can be used.

I've had both cable/foot control and hand control trolling motors over the years and have no plan to return to either.

Lots of versatility...
I can use the electronic foot control to turn TM on/off, adjust speed, and steer down a bank or thru timber by tapping pedal's buttons with my toe or steer with my foot on the pedal without taking hands off my fishing rod.

I've trolled with mine by setting in the drivers seat to mind the trolling rods and watch side-scan/downscan sonar on console and use the iPilot remote to control the boats speed and direction automatically, etc.

The anchor lock is not perfect at keeping boat in one small spot in wind or current but it beats the heck out of constantly riding a foot or hand control in the wind to stay on a spot.

The best thing to do if possible is try to find someone with one and get in their boat on the water and see how it works.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/27/15 08:13 PM

It does take some getting used to. I almost never touch the foot control. It makes a little noise but is mainly heard when making big turns off the head unit. Add far as the spotlock, it only runs the prop at the speed required and the head movement is pretty minimal so mot much noise there. It isn't perfect by any means but it makes fishing more enjoyable to me.
If you were to offer to trade me for any cable steered unit of my choice, I would turn you down without hesitation. I've had it almost a year and love it. Works better if you fish solo. So easy to hit spot lock and not worry about boat control in windy conditions when you are busy doing other things in the boat.
Posted By: Guide Richie White

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/27/15 10:17 PM

The I-pilot is the greatest innovation in fishing since the rod and reel. I'm still fascinated that Minn Kota was able to accomplish an anchoring trolling motor in my lifetime.
I just got a new boat and had to fish with a traditional trolling motor for a couple of weeks. I did not enjoy it. The i-pilot isn't perfect, but its a lot better than I am at keeping me in the same spot for a long time. I don't have to be in a hurry when rigging rods, taking off fish, taking pictures, etc. I can even change my line on my spot.
I still haven't taken the foot control out of my rod box. It's awesome having all the room on the front deck without a pedal.
The only reason I ever get it out is if I'm fishing (myself) in a bunch of trees and its too windy to fish and run my remote at the same time.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/27/15 10:34 PM

Lee;
I have had the Terrova for over a year now.
LEE,,,,,,,
get one,,, you'll love it. I thought you would have already added one to that Stratos. My first one I put on my 176XT and it made a world of difference.

get the Ulterra, at our age it is a wonderful option,,,,,the self deploy and retrieve.
I am upgrading to the Ulterra soon.
the spot lock is great, the noise is minimal, the battery use is not noticeable from a standard TM.
Getting used to it depends on how much you fish. I alternate between the hand control and the foot control. It is absolutely Fantastic when you fish by yourself.
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/28/15 09:31 PM

Lee, I am 71 and I got a Ulterra 112 w/ I pilot link on my boat and is the best thing since sliced bread. I had a
Terrova before but this is great for our age
Posted By: 9094

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/28/15 10:19 PM

I have two boats with Terrovas on them. I only bass fish and the sound it makes doesn't make any difference.
You do have to think ahead if in a bunch of stumps but that hasn't been a problem either. the spot lock is worth the investment.
I used a boat with an Ulterra on it and have now ordered mine! It is the best thing I have ever used.

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/28/15 10:27 PM

Well,,,,there you go.
what say you now,,,,shipmate !!!!

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/29/15 02:14 AM

roflmao...well.... thumb you guys have pretty much made the decision for me. The spot lock sounds ok, not one of my demands but, the iPilot part following a given track/auto deploy/recovery sure sound great for old farts ....no more ropes to break and fall back in the boat.... hammer
My only concern was the noise the TM makes when making course adjustments for me while on automatic.
I had a Motor Guide electronic remote TM and it was nice but man, it made a lot of noise when turning and making course adjustments. I'm half deaf and I heard it....sound travels in water. My thinking was...if I can hear it....Lord there won't be a fish around for half a mile..... roflmao
Good information all. Thanks guys....
Yep, not getting old anymore...already there so this thing makes sense!!
God Bless

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/29/15 01:09 PM

Thanks pardner....I'm not far from you at 68....hate it but, better than the alternative.
Good feedback....like you, the automatic deploy and retrieve is GREAT feature. With only room for one Talon, the spot lock would add just one more feature, along with the adjustable depth of the TM..like that..but, their best feature (to me) is the iPilot...don't know much about them but supposed to follow a desired depth level (say around 20' along a shore line) and then don't have to fool with the TM, just fish... roflmao, which takes all my concentrated effort as it is....
Good feedback...
thanks...
God Bless

Originally Posted By: TxPanhandle
Lee, I am 71 and I got a Ulterra 112 w/ I pilot link on my boat and is the best thing since sliced bread. I had a
Terrova before but this is great for our age
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/29/15 11:27 PM

Yes the follow the contour feature is great. You do need the I pilot link with Humminbird electronics to use this feature. I think the remote stow and deploy feature is the best thing for me with bad knee,hip. You will not be disappointed with it. Good luck

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/30/15 01:57 AM

Ok, good to know. But, am sure my marine mechanic Cal would tell me.....he's really good.
But thanks TxPanhandle....can't have too much information.
God Bless
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/30/15 02:16 AM

Don't know about the auto stow, but I have a 112 that self deployed at 69mph, not a pretty sight. Minn Kota warranteed the motor even though there was nothing left but the head and the bracket. There is a problem with the deployment mechanism, I don't care what they say. Too many people having problems.Having said that, I love the darn thing. As long as you don't mind sliding the adjustment bracket down every time you bring in the motor, it's great. The spot lock is SWEEEEET, as long as you don't mind a 20-25'area that the boat will stay in, the more wind the better. Once you get used to it you can drive it from the console right to your spot or if it's sync'ed with depth finder it will go where you tell it. well worth it to a guy with two hip replacements, you don't have to fight a foot control when its windy!! banana
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/30/15 02:43 AM

I heard about problems early on and there may have been a recall at one time. It was some kind of noise issue with the frequency channel for the stow/deploy. It was suppose to have been corrected, I believe with a software update. Other than the stow/deploy feature, I bet the spotlock becomes your favorite feature.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/30/15 02:26 PM

Lee I had a Terrova for a year. Mine never self deployed. I also made sure it lock in every time. The noise comes from the turning and never ever stop me from catching fish. The spot lock is great but you get I pilot link with the lakemaster chip and that's the awesome feature.

The reason I don't have a terrova any more is the steering motor went out. I sent it to minn kota and they said I had it in saltwater. I only fish fresh water lakes. Now I do fish Squaw Creek and it has a high salt content. That's the only thing I can think of.

Get one with auto deploy and get a slider plate. On mine I had a mka-47 but it takes a different on for the ulterra.

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 09/30/15 11:58 PM

Thanks again all/Coach/Harold/Bobby and many others. Good to know.
I sure hope they resolve your problems on the motor with MinnKota. Everything I have heard about them is that they take really good customer support - one of the reasons I went with them vs Motor Guide.
Getting older, having less things that have to be done manually, automatically sounds really good and more time fishing not boat handling.
I do use the LakeMaster chip in both my HB 1199's so that is good news. Thanks
God Bless

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 10/01/15 11:30 AM

Lee;
have you ordered your Ulterra yet ?

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 10/01/15 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
Lee;
have you ordered your Ulterra yet ?

No sir, roflmao haven't quite convinced my boss lady how bad I/we need it.....
God Bless

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 10/01/15 07:36 PM

Nutman: You looking at getting one for your rig ?
Just curious ....
God Bless

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 10/01/15 08:36 PM

>>>>>>
12" graph or Ulterra ?
I think I am going to go Ulterra.
I can still better than I can lift.
Got to save just a couple hundred more $$$$s and I'll do it.
Hope I can find someone to buy my Terrova.

Re: New Minn Kota Ulterra TM ??? - 10/01/15 09:34 PM

Sounds like a good choice to me but, JMO.
No more ropes to pull on or break......no worry about the dang TM and can concentrate on fishing and if you find a 'spot' you can stay fairly close by....
Love my Talon but, it's only 12' long..... if I want to be out in deeper water and throw up into 10' or 12' of water...then the Ulterra is the 'deal'.
Hope you get one soon shipmate...
God Bless
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum