Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork

Posted By: Mega23

Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/26/15 09:50 PM

Congratulations to Eric Wright & Partner for winning 5000.00 with 8.99lbs
No Overs were weigh in😟 But I do know that 2.34lbs won Bigg Bass
And Smallest fish won 100.00 with a bass weighing .80

Congrats to the Winners!!

It was a hot tough day of fishing.

I have lots of Pics, but for some reason keeps saying. You can only upload jpg or png formats.

Fish-On
Donna
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/26/15 11:45 PM

were guides allowed to fish?
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
were guides allowed to fish?

Yes. This was one of the most talented fields I've seen in a while. Congrats to Eric and his partner on the win. Several of the owners, myself included, grabbed a guide since there was not a rule against it. I had the privilege of fishing with guide Richie White. I haven't had a 50 fish (LM bass) day in a long time, but today that is probably a lowball number. All were unders, just not enough of the right ones. Triton was looking for 12" to 16" fish.

Triton did a pretty good job running this thing, especially with it being their first one on Fork. They treated us to AJs the night before, gave out some really nice draw prizes and paid out $15K on 79 entries. I'm already looking forward to the next one.
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:15 AM

Does anybody really believe that results like this benefit Lake Fork?
8.99 lbs for 5 fish?
Caught by a "Lake Fork guide" ?
I cannot grasp this thought process.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
8.99 lbs for 5 fish?

8.99# is a good stringer on Fork in September.

Not sure what you mean by "benefit Lake Fork", please expound on your point.

Thanks
Posted By: DNewt

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:29 AM

popcorn

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:36 AM

Lake Fork is the premier Big Bass lake in Texas.
It's pretty simple.
When people outside Texas see these results, they question the productivity of Fork.
I personally can't grasp the concept of competing to catch the 5 biggest small fish, but that's just me.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:41 AM

Triton put on this tournament to benefit triton owners, not lake fork. What is hard to understand.
Posted By: CrazyCajun

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:41 AM

that is good numbers for a slot lake

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:49 AM

Lake Fork is the premier Big Bass lake in Texas.
It's pretty simple.
When people outside Texas see these results, they question the productivity of Fork.
I personally can't grasp the concept of competing to catch the 5 biggest small fish, but that's just me.

Use your power and get the slot lifted and then we can weigh in 5 for 35#

Are you mad another guide won a tourney?

Most of the "bigger" stringer tournaments are won with 5 unders, still do not understand how this one tournament will hurt Lake Fork. What truly has hurt the lake is age, a drought and the fact the grass is gone...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:52 AM

I must be the only person to think that Lake Fork is special, and deserves special treatment.
Lake Fork is not faring well right now, and might need a rest from tournaments that target "unders".
As more "unders" are caught and hauled in to weigh-ins, more of them simply don't survive to make it into the protected slot.
The less fish we have inside the slot limit, the less we have above the slot in the future.
It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:56 AM

Harvesting of the unders at Lake Fork would actually do it a world of good. The idea behind a slot lake is to protect those fish within the slot for reproductive purposes. Releasing everything that is caught does more damage than good IMO. You end up with too many fish competing for the available food source.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 01:59 AM

I don't want the slot lifted.
Again, there is 210 lakes in Texas to fish.
Lake Fork has proven it's trophy potential.
Droughts, lack of vegetation, and pressure, have hurt, but at some point, we have to realize that all lakes can be over-abused.
I just hate to see a lake like Fork, be abused and not allowed to recover from nature's cycle.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:07 AM

Harvesting "unders" at Fork would be good, if our numbers were as high as they were when the slot was implemented.
Actually, I was one of the few guides that harvested small fish.
We're at a totally different stage right now.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:10 AM

I must be the only person to think that Lake Fork is special, and deserves special treatment.
Lake Fork is not faring well right now, and might need a rest from tournaments that target "unders".
As more "unders" are caught and hauled in to weigh-ins, more of them simply don't survive to make it into the protected slot.
The less fish we have inside the slot limit, the less we have above the slot in the future.

Have you attended a weigh in lately??

Most the fish being weighed are less than 1.5 pounds. Small fish are a lot more durable than the bigger "unders" and the "overs", from what I have seen over the years.

I've seen more people keep 6+ pound fish out of the water for pics, measurements and to weigh, than I've seen tournament anglers being careless with fish care.

Just 2 weeks ago I saw a "guide" who had his client soaking live bream, keep a 5 pound or so fish out of the water for close to 5 minutes so he could measure it, weigh and take enough photos for a portfolio.

Now do I judge all "guides" by this particular one's actions, H3LL NO! This dude was a DA apparently. So, maybe all tournament anglers shouldn't be negatively judged because they enjoy fishing legal tournaments on a public lake that their taxes pay to maintain the fish population..

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:15 AM

Doug R., your question about another "guide" winning a tournament on Fork makes me laugh.
After 30+ years, and semi-success in tournaments and my guiding career,... jealousy is not in my mind.
Honestly, I'm sincerely concerned about the great Lake Fork that I have been honored to be a part of for those 30+ years,

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:28 AM

Doug R., your question about another "guide" winning a tournament on Fork makes me laugh.
After 30+ years, and semi-success in tournaments and my guiding career,... jealousy is not in my mind.
Honestly, I'm sincerely concerned about the great Lake Fork that I have been honored to be a part of for those 30+ years,

Well I posted that part as sarcasm, glad you laughed laugh

I understand your concerns, I have been fishing the lake since it opened. I fished Fork 100+ days year up until 2012, now I probably fish it 50 times a year. The lake has changed and not for the best. I honestly think the fish population is a lot lower now than it has been in a long time, maybe the lowest since the lake filled.

But, I think a lot is due to the lack of grass and low water and the fry not having much cover to survive in until they could make it on their own. Hopefully the high water and ample cover this year and hopefully next will increase the population back to where it should be.

From what I have seen lately this years spawn was the best we have had in 5-6 years...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:35 AM

I agree with you on the spawn this year.
I would like to see these fish have a chance to get into the slot, (above 16"), and have an increased # of spawners.
Nature plays the largest role, but as custodians of wildlife, we do have to adapt to the limitations that nature endures.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:46 AM

I agree with you on the spawn this year.
I would like to see these fish have a chance to get into the slot, (above 16"), and have an increased # of spawners.
Nature plays the largest role, but as custodians of wildlife, we do have to adapt to the limitations that nature endures.

The tournaments bring revenue and we both know that is what drives the train!

Honestly I wouldn't care if they did not have tournaments on Fork, I hate trying to find "big" little fish. But, we both know that isn't going to happen...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:53 AM

Unfortunately, that which drives the train, might ultimately derail said train.
Lake Fork needs some rest.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:57 AM

I had smaller fish than .80 today without a doubt. At least 10 of them. Lol.
Posted By: Stephen Fatherree

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 03:52 AM

Congrats to Eric Wright and his partner on the win! I have met Eric a handful of times and he really knows his stuff when it comes to putting largemouth in the livewell, not only on Lake Fork but on other lakes as well. In regards to the tournaments it does seem that nearly every year a new annual tournament circuit comes to Lake Fork. These tournaments are a great way to bring more money to the local businesses but certainly do put added pressure on the bass and on the lake. Fortunately the largemouth here on Lake Fork have proven themselves to be quite resilient and hopefully will stay that way for many years to come as more annual tournament series continue to make Lake Fork their home! Congratulations again to all of today's winners during these tough conditions!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 04:05 AM

Being "politically correct", is really not positive for Fork.
Fork is under duress right now, and could use a break from the pressure.
I know Eric, and have a lot of respect for him, so this is in no way a negative response to his win.
8.99 lbs for 5 fish on Fork is not reflective of what this lake can produce.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 04:51 AM

It's all about the dollars, the fish come second. And when the fishing slows the tourneys just pick up and move on. I agree, the lake needs a rest BUT that aint gonna happen long as there is a buck to be made.
Posted By: Fishing on a string

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 10:41 AM

They could use a few sand bass events to take some of those out of the food chain.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 11:00 AM

Are there any fishing guides that make a living on fork ??
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
Triton put on this tournament to benefit triton owners, not lake fork. What is hard to understand.
I thought eric is a ranger owner. I quit fishing owners tournaments when rick loomis won the skeeter owners tournament years ago. An owner payed I mean picked him as his "partner".
Posted By: ForkedJames

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 02:31 PM

The best trips I have had on Fork were with Richard. I have fished the lake like many others since it opened.
I too agree the lake could use some rest time from all the tournaments. With this said I would be naïve to wish this. The area has to have money spent tournaments bring this. I for one don't fish tournaments because of the impact I feel they have on the fishery, and as important because of the crowds.

Fishing pressure is a thing of reality and as we fish and adjust the lake just can't adjust as fast.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 06:30 PM

My .02 guides were allowed to fish, so let them fish. I would prefer not to fish against someone who gets to fish the lake everyday, but I knew the rules. We didn't catch any unders but its hard to complain about catching 3 to 7lb fish all day and tie for last place.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/27/15 11:46 PM

I agree with Richard. The lake needs a big break. I think the marina owners are smart enough to understand these tournaments are hurting the lake.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: rowlettfisherman
My .02 guides were allowed to fish, so let them fish. I would prefer not to fish against someone who gets to fish the lake everyday, but I knew the rules. We didn't catch any unders but its hard to complain about catching 3 to 7lb fish all day and tie for last place.

Congrats on catching 3-7 lb fish "all day".
I don't know a single person that fishes Fork regularly that is doing that.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Congrats on catching 3-7 lb fish "all day".
I don't know a single person that fishes Fork regularly that is doing that.

That was funny..

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 01:52 AM

I fished the tournament, weighed in 1 at 1.09. Caught 2 dinks and it was a grind. 3rd time to fish fork this year. I always get excited to fish fork then afterwards wonder why I do when I can fish Lewisville 15 minutes away and do that. The chance of the over draws me back and will continue to do so but for all the hoopla it is mostly disappointing every time I leave. You can argue that maybe I'm just not that good a fisherman but I would argue that of course.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 02:15 AM

lake fork is now officially closed! taz
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 01:43 PM

As a Triton owner who didn't fish this event, I would prefer to see the big bass hourly weigh-in format and no guides fishing the event. JMHO. Those issues didn't keep me from fishing this year (wife's birthday did), but they would make it more attractive to fish in the future.

Sounds like a tough day on the water for most. 79 boats and no overs, but this was a week after the mcdonald's tournament and right during the turnover. So, I'm not surprised to see lackluster results.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 03:05 PM

8.99 lbs for 5 fish?

How can you gripe about a 70+ boat tournament when the week before there were thousands and thousands of tournament fishermen raping the lake for three days. Anyway, I wouldn't put my money on Triton coming back to Fork next year.
I thought you quit fishing, Richard.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 04:47 PM

I agree with Richard,he himself was one of the best guides in Fork,he knows his stuff and knows first hand what is going on at Fork.The lake needs a rest.Fishing will never be the same with all the preassure the Lake has been having accompanied by drought and sparse grass.Let the Lake rest.Its also a joke letting guides fish tournaments.First the Sealys,and now the Triton.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 05:04 PM

Amen brother! A rest would allow numbers of slot fish and big fish to rebound. This would also help the guides and marinas as much as, if not more, than the tournaments. Tournaments are one or two day events. Then they're gone. Does anyone remember when 100's if not thousands of out-of-state anglers came to Fork in the spring? They came for weeks or months at a time. And they spent a lot of money in the area. Most of the tournament guys spend a little for a couple days.

Let Fork continue to suffer, and we'll have lost most of the anglers coming to fish for "that one big bite". Let it rest and they'll come back. In the long run, the tournaments are gonna hurt the marinas and local businesses more than they help. My opinion, only.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 05:56 PM

Just how would you go about closing down tournaments or restricting access whatever to give it a rest? What governing body would have authority to do such a thing if possible?
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Amen brother! A rest would allow numbers of slot fish and big fish to rebound. This would also help the guides and marinas as much as, if not more, than the tournaments. Tournaments are one or two day events. Then they're gone. Does anyone remember when 100's if not thousands of out-of-state anglers came to Fork in the spring? They came for weeks or months at a time. And they spent a lot of money in the area. Most of the tournament guys spend a little for a couple days.

Let Fork continue to suffer, and we'll have lost most of the anglers coming to fish for "that one big bite". Let it rest and they'll come back. In the long run, the tournaments are gonna hurt the marinas and local businesses more than they help. My opinion, only.

I can't disagree with either of you more. The fish have been hit hard by drought and lack of cover. As we have seen this summer the number of 6-10 inch fish we are seeing in 10 times what we have seen in any of the last 5-8 years. There is little doubt that this is due to the raised water and flooded vegetation that allowed for an off the chart spawn. To maintain these type numbers the cover needs to make a comeback. 90 percent of the growth we saw last year has vanished. If the grass digs in and holds the population will continue to grow and stabilize.
Im not sure how a break would be good for guides or local business. Those tournaments have very good track records in returning live healthy fish to the lake and a good portion of those guides customers are prefishing for those tournaments.
I just don't see much truth or see any evidence to support your positions.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 06:13 PM

Read up on post-tournament mortality. These 6-10 inch fish and unders need to be left alone to make it into the slot. Not pounded on by tournament after tournament after tournament. I used to be in the camp that keeping all unders would really help the fishery. I don't subscribe to that theory any longer.

How long have you been fishing Fork, SkeeterEater? When was the last time you caught 50-75 fish in a day that averaged 5 pounds or better? I assure you it happens much less these days than it did in years past, when it happened pretty frequently depending on time of year.

So your contention is that drought and loss of vegetation are to blame for Fork's decline. Agree. But I don't believe for one minute that is the sole cause, just like I don't believe tournaments nor LMBV are the sole causes. All of these things are additive to fewer big fish and fewer slot fish.

We can control tournament pressure on the lake. We can't control mother nature nor can we control the spraying of invasive aquatics. It has been proven time and again that intense pressure is not good for a fishery. Let's control what we can and adjust as mother nature warrants. Like I said in another post, won't happen, UNFORTUNATELY.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 06:16 PM

what if the folks in charge closed one, Just one major creek arm to fishing during the spawn months?
rotate to another creek every year ???

that would leave the rest open to guide, fish, waterski(oops) and not hurt anybody .
would keep two ball-hats in a boat from disturbing every bed possible in just one major creek.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 06:19 PM

That would be great if there weren't homes in all the major creeks. How you gonna keep the homeowners from fishing?

And this will get a lot of folks riled up, but I'm going to say it. Make bass fishing with live bait illegal on Fork. There are several guides and lots of anglers who are fishing solely with live bait (bream) these days. And they are gut hooking and killing a TON of slot fish. I've seen it with my own eyes and know many other guides who have, as well. Guy and his customers/friends/kids sitting there jacking slot fish after slot fish, gut hooking and releasing, only to have slot fish floating all over the place where they have been. It's become ridiculous out there.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 06:26 PM

That would be great if there weren't homes in all the major creeks. How you gonna keep the homeowners from fishing?

I live on a major creek ( 19 years now) , and I wouldn't fish it if it was the "creek of the year" .

It would work just like any other rule/law. general public will obey
Of course there are people who disobey rules , always will be .
a few runs by the G.W. and that would slow it down

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bbexotics
I agree with Richard,he himself was one of the best guides in Fork,he knows his stuff and knows first hand what is going on at Fork.The lake needs a rest.Fishing will never be the same with all the preassure the Lake has been having accompanied by drought and sparse grass.Let the Lake rest.Its also a joke letting guides fish tournaments.First the Sealys,and now the Triton.

Nothing wrong with letting guides fish
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 07:56 PM

Make bass fishing with live bait illegal on Fork eeks

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 08:23 PM

Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 08:45 PM

And this will get a lot of folks riled up, but I'm going to say it. Make bass fishing with live bait illegal on Fork. There are several guides and lots of anglers who are fishing solely with live bait (bream) these days. And they are gut hooking and killing a TON of slot fish. I've seen it with my own eyes and know many other guides who have, as well. Guy and his customers/friends/kids sitting there jacking slot fish after slot fish, gut hooking and releasing, only to have slot fish floating all over the place where they have been. It's become ridiculous out there.

It's not just the guides Chris, the out of state visitors from our noth and to our east will fish a shinner under a cork for weeks at a time.. I've seen that many many times, and then you have those big striper rigs with 5-6 guys in them using live shad and a cork.. I still see those boats on Fork, but they're sandbass and catfishing..
Damage done though, I would love to see a no live bait from Feb-Nov.. I gotta have a minner for some crappies down south.. LOL... grin
Congrats to Litttle E and partner, if you let guides fish, they're gonna spank you more times than not, so don't complain when they do..

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 08:55 PM

Where are the results?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

It's not just the guides Chris, the out of state visitors from our noth and to our east will fish a shinner under a cork for weeks at a time.. I've seen that many many times, and then you have those big striper rigs with 5-6 guys in them using live shad and a cork.. I still see those boats on Fork, but they're sandbass and catfishing..
Damage done though, I would love to see a no live bait from Feb-Nov.. I gotta have a minner for some crappies down south.. LOL... grin
Congrats to Litttle E and partner, if you let guides fish, they're gonna spank you more times than not, so don't complain when they do..

That's why I said for bass, Billy. Love me some little shiners and crappie fishing. If a man is fishing with big shiners under a cork in the creeks in Spring, he's bass fishing. I know it's legal and have advocated for and done it myself in the past. But it's being done on much too large a scale at Fork these days.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

That's why I said for bass, Billy. Love me some little shiners and crappie fishing. If a man is fishing with big shiners under a cork in the creeks in Spring, he's bass fishing. I know it's legal and have advocated for and done it myself in the past. But it's being done on much too large a scale at Fork these days.

Absolutely Chris....

I've fished with Richard, he is knowledgeable about the pluse on Fork, It's beating rapidly, she needs a rest.. I agree 100% even though I compete in many of those events.. I can see the decline first hand...
Posted By: MDM

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 10:14 PM

As stated by Ranger1 "Make bass fishing with live bait illegal on Fork".

Sounds like a good project for The Lake Fork Sportsman's Association.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 10:39 PM

that would have to come from TPWD after they study the problem I'm sure

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 10:55 PM

that would have to come from TPWD after they study the problem I'm sure

For 5 yrs... gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 11:04 PM

How many bass die per year from Tournaments?

How many bass die per year from a live bait fishermen?

I believe you may be targeting the wrong group.
Posted By: C.O.D

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 11:09 PM

All of this crying about what should be done to make it fair for a few and no one is making a big deal that you had to own a specific brand to fish it (not that I care)but if you don't like the way things are done..... Don't fish it. just saying.
de

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: C.O.D
All of this crying about what should be done to make it fair for a few and no one is making a big deal that you had to own a specific brand to fish it (not that I care)but if you don't like the way things are done..... Don't fish it. just saying.
de

Come again? R u sure you replied to the thread u intended to?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 11:18 PM

de

Come again? R u sure you replied to the thread u intended to?

Live baiter ...!!!!!!
eeks...................... grin

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: OzzieFish
Where are the results?

Honestly, what do you really know about Lake Fork?
What do you think happens when fish that won't bite artificial baits, bite live bait?
If we can't catch a certain fish on artificial bait, we can't hurt that fish.
Let me be clear, I know Eric, and have tremendous respect for him and his way of fishing.
I do not want to compete with him on "unders" on Fork.
I did not post to complain about a guide doing well in a tournament.
I posted to point out the fact that Lake Fork is struggling right now, and that in a tournament, a Guide on Fork could only bring in 5 that weighed 9 lbs.
That SUCKS!
Look at this result from an out of State fisherman that's thinking about coming to Fork.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/28/15 11:54 PM

not so sure tournaments are the real/only problem here, hopefully 97-99% of the fish caught are returned safely back to the lake. I think what hurts the lake other/more than the tournaments are the homeowners who live on the lake and fishes it with artificial/live bait, came across a guy in a pontoon boat who was whacking the bass using bream even held up a big slot that was definetly dead when he pulled it out of his ice chest and said "hey look at this one". Homeowners who fish for the most part ain't throwing them fish they catch back either under,in or over the slot.
They are hurting the lake more than you think by keeping everything they catch. Heck when u don't even see a game warden running around the lake or even parked at the boat ramp homeowners are not worried about getting caught.

Also, I bet it don't get the pressure it did when it first opened until about mid-late 90's

mother nature will take care of things but don't expect it to be golden like back in the day just go fish and enjoy cause you never know when big Sally will jump on your bait!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:12 AM

It is nice to see that so many recognize there is a problem. This thread has nothing to do with Eric. He is one hell of a fisherman and a great guide. My son and I have has great success with him and plan on fishing with him in the future. Now back to the problem. I think everyone needs to put our heads together to come up with a solution. Fouz has stated in the above post that we need to try and control what we can control. I believe this needs to be done now to help save the lake we all love. How about some kind of group to gather FACTs and try to come up with a solution that would benefit all. This group would consist of guides, marina owners, home owners, Texas parks and wildlife staff and bioligists. The more input the better. I am not sure what the solution is but I know there is a problem. We can argue about this on the forum while all the tournament directors plan their next tournament at Fork or we can put our heads together and solve the issue. Just a thought, I maybe wrong . Take care, Rodney

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master
not so sure tournaments are the real/only problem here, hopefully 97-99% of the fish caught are returned safely back to the lake. I think what hurts the lake other/more than the tournaments are the homeowners who live on the lake and fishes it with artificial/live bait, came across a guy in a pontoon boat who was whacking the bass using bream even held up a big slot that was definetly dead when he pulled it out of his ice chest and said "hey look at this one". Homeowners who fish for the most part ain't throwing them fish they catch back either under,in or over the slot.
They are hurting the lake more than you think by keeping everything they catch. Heck when u don't even see a game warden running around the lake or even parked at the boat ramp homeowners are not worried about getting caught.

Also, I bet it don't get the pressure it did when it first opened until about mid-late 90's

mother nature will take care of things but don't expect it to be golden like back in the day just go fish and enjoy cause you never know when big Sally will jump on your bait!

Trying to cure poaching is like trying to cure the common cold.
There are many factors that have caused the decline at Fork, and NATURE being the predominant factor.
There are a lot more fisherpeople, with MUCH better electronics, targeting the offshore fish, that used to have somewhat of a "sactuary" status.
The more of these fish that get caught, die.
As far as techniques, percentage-wise, I don't think live bait kills more fish than other methods, but because live bait will catch fish that won't bite artificials, it kills fish that otherwise would still be living.
I truly believe the costliest technique to a Bass' survival is the "long-lining" technique.
A bass reeled in from 100 yards out of 30' water is gonna have a hard time recuperating.
AS far as tournaments go, targeting "unders", and relocating them, is killing some fish.
The only study that TPWD has done on delayed mortality from fish brought to weigh-in shows a 39% mortality rate.
In the last several years, the tournaments fishing on Fork has EXPLODED!, and there is no doubt that it has affected the population .

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:36 AM

RedSkeeter do you know me ???... Maybe I just took the original post the wrong way... my bad.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:40 AM

RedSkeeter do you know me ???... Maybe I just took the post the wrong way.

Probably do, no offense intended... Just running with a relevant topic...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:44 AM

No offense taken. Have a good one.
Posted By: Gary Paris

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:50 AM

I was just about to mention that TPWD delayed mortality study. I've been preaching it to everyone I can for several years. Don't forget they estimate that only 1% of the bass that are stocked every year survive. Even I can do the math on that. We know from our meeting with TPWD earlier this year that they aren't intending on making any changes. With that being said the only thing I know we can do is start lobbying for all tournament organizations to have to pay a permit fee to hold tournaments on public bodies of water. They could use the money obtained for each lake to stock more fish. Lake Fork would either have less tournaments or more fish. Either way the lake wins. It's all about protecting the resource in my opinion.
Posted By: RoosterHead

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:50 AM

lot's of BS on this subject , but here is bottom line

IT IS WHAT IT IS !

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: RoosterHead
lot's of BS on this subject , but here is bottom line

IT IS WHAT IT IS !

But if you don't vote on the subject, it'll stay what it is.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:12 AM

Go to Rayburn they are on fire over there . plenty of events on that lake and they still catch 30 pound plus stringers. Or Toledo bend .Plenty of meat hunters at that place but it still has plenty of fish. oops They have or had plenty of grass. Grass might be the real problem.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:23 AM

How many of you, have gut hooked a fish on a Carolina Rig?

I am thinking they are way more people who throw a Carolina Rig than those who fish with live bait.

Makes one think that a Carolina Rig, will kill more fish.

Just saying.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: snickers
Go to Rayburn they are on fire over there . plenty of events on that lake and they still catch 30 pound plus stringers. Or Toledo bend .Plenty of meat hunters at that place but it still has plenty of fish. oops They have or had plenty of grass. Grass might be the real problem.

Isn't Rayburn like, 140,000 acres?
Toledo Bend is pretty big too.
Fork is 27,000 acres.
25 minutes, WOT, from one end to the other.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

I am thinking they are way more people who throw a Carolina Rig than those who fish with live bait.

Just saying.

I addressed this.
Percentage-wise, live bait doesn't kill more fish than other baits, but live-bait catches more fish,(why else use live-bait),therefore fish that would otherwise not be caught, are, and some of those fish die.
Besides, from my point of view, bass fishing is a sport, not a harvest.
Live bait fishing is simply a chicken [censored] way to be a hero.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Gary Paris
I was just about to mention that TPWD delayed mortality study. I've been preaching it to everyone I can for several years. Don't forget they estimate that only 1% of the bass that are stocked every year survive. Even I can do the math on that. We know from our meeting with TPWD earlier this year that they aren't intending on making any changes. With that being said the only thing I know we can do is start lobbying for all tournament organizations to have to pay a permit fee to hold tournaments on public bodies of water. They could use the money obtained for each lake to stock more fish. Lake Fork would either have less tournaments or more fish. Either way the lake wins. It's all about protecting the resource in my opinion.

This seems right to me.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Brooks Rogers

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:28 AM

First off I'm amazed that people on this forum want to debate a man who has guided on this lake since 1983, made 2 Bassmaster Classics and has 3 bass in the share a lurker program. Yall might want to do a little research. With that being said here's my 2 cents. If you've fished Fork with any regularity in the past few years you know the fishing has slowed a little every year. Several reasons for this. The main reason which has already been stated is lower water levels which have contributed to poor spawn survival. Largemouth bass aren't as prolific as crappie, sand bass, or catfish. With 4 low water springs 2011-2014 that has resulted in poor fry survival. That's just nature and nothing anyone can do about it. However, with the low water we now have willow and other brush/weeds in the lake for cover. Fork had a great spawn this year but it's not an over night fix. It will take a few years for these little bass to be mature to have offspring. I'm confident if the lake will stay near full the next few springs Fork will really bounce back.

So what can we do as anglers? In my opinion the lake needs to "heal". We need every bass in this lake as we can get right now in enhance in spawning. I am in no way against tournaments but the reality is regardless of how well the anglers or tournament officials treat the bass many do not survive. TP&WD have already conducted surveys of the delayed mortality rate of tournament caught bass and its 39.1 percent. You can look it up on their website.

This is about the future of our sport guys. We have a responsibility to protect it for the future for our kids.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Brooks Rogers
First off I'm amazed that people on this forum want to debate a man who has guided on this lake since 1983, made 2 Bassmaster Classics and has 3 bass in the share a lurker program. Yall might want to do a little research. With that being said here's my 2 cents. If you've fished Fork with any regularity in the past few years you know the fishing has slowed a little every year. Several reasons for this. The main reason which has already been stated is lower water levels which have contributed to poor spawn survival. Largemouth bass aren't as prolific as crappie, sand bass, or catfish. With 4 low water springs 2011-2014 that has resulted in poor fry survival. That's just nature and nothing anyone can do about it. However, with the low water we now have willow and other brush/weeds in the lake for cover. Fork had a great spawn this year but it's not an over night fix. It will take a few years for these little bass to be mature to have offspring. I'm confident if the lake will stay near full the next few springs Fork will really bounce back.

So what can we do as anglers? In my opinion the lake needs to "heal". We need every bass in this lake as we can get right now in enhance in spawning. I am in no way against tournaments but the reality is regardless of how well the anglers or tournament officials treat the bass many do not survive. TP&WD have already conducted surveys of the delayed mortality rate of tournament caught bass and its 39.1 percent. You can look it up on their website.

This is about the future of our sport guys. We have a responsibility to protect it for the future for our kids.

clap

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:44 AM

Nice to see guys like Messers Rogers and McCarty offering their EXPERT opinions on the matter. Plus a few LF veteran anglers. Definitely a subject that would benefit from more scientific (TPWD) data.

Who wants to contact TPWD for some input to the discussion?

Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:49 AM

So no crickets, or worms, or minnows, or bream or waterdogs or black saltys got it.. Wasn't the lake record caught on a minnow by a crappie fisherman,..duh.

All the crappie fisherman may get upset if they can't use minnows, not to mention the marinas that make thousand of dollars a year in live baits sales. That's all gotta go.

I really like Gary Paris idea about having a permit to run a tournament. That could do a lot of things, limit tournaments and the amount the days, the amount of entries, and could actually eliminate tournaments during spawning, I like that.

I would like to see a 'residents only' tag to fish, unless you're fishing in a controlled tournament (see above),.

I also think that sight fishing should be banned,. The same guide taking clients to the same bass for weeks, how fair is that.

Special Guide license needs to be required, and limit the amount of the licenses issued. No guide trips on Sunday-Tuesday.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:50 AM

Just saying.

I addressed this.
Percentage-wise, live bait doesn't kill more fish than other baits, but live-bait catches more fish,(why else use live-bait),therefore fish that would otherwise not be caught, are, and some of those fish die.

Thanks for the clarification Richard. I am not a live bait fisherman for bass, I just wanted to get a point across that it is not one single group of fishermen or bait that is responsible.

They are lots of overs being caught on crappie jigs also.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:55 AM

I have no dog in this fight. I just don't understand Richards complaint. He says tournaments are killing the lake. Too much pressure. Then he says 9lbs looks bad to people out of state and they will not want to come fish fork. Wouldn't that take some pressure of the lake.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:55 AM

Just saying.

I addressed this.

Thanks for the clarification Richard. I am not a live bait fisherman for bass, I just wanted to get a point across that it is not one single group of fishermen or bait that is responsible.

I've been working on a lure to imitate a hooked crappie for years.
The largest fish in Fork live around crappie.
Of course, they will eat a crappie that gets itself hooked.
Lure is not ready .........Yet.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:59 AM

I like the residents only idea.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:00 AM

Tournament permits I have been preaching for years. Lots of reasons why to do this. I think since a guide has to buy a license to make a living on a public lake then why not a tournament.IMO I think they should buy a permit plus at least 10% of the total pay out goes to restock the resources.

They hurt the resources more in a day than we as guides can in a lifetime.Fork is not in good shape for sure and this year will help but for how long ? Lots of things we can do and maybe taking out some water turkey's would be a good thing. They damage the resources just as much.

This argument can go for big fish also. No fish over 13 lbs should ever leave Lake Fork IMO !!! They should live/spawn & Die here not in Athens !!! Lake Fork donated so many fish in the past that our genetics for big bass are almost gone.

I remember back in the day when a 13 lb fish did not catch much attention cause 14,15,16 pounder's were being caught. It takes to long to grow a giant to let a man kill it in a day or a week.Let nature run is course.

TP&W does not think Lake Fork is broke so I do not see them doing anything to fix it. The total of fish per acre are way down and we all would like to see it get better.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
I have no dog in this fight. I just don't understand Richards complaint. He says tournaments are killing the lake. Too much pressure. Then he says 9lbs looks bad to people out of state and they will not want to come fish fork. Wouldn't that take some pressure of the lake.

I think you might be missing "my" point.
For me, it's all about Lake Fork bass.
If we continue on this trend, Fork will have no trophy status, and simply become ( Lake
Tawokoni East).
Look at the record books, look at the revenue, and decide for yourself if Fork would be a better 'Trophy Lake', or an "under-slot" tournament lake.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:14 AM

Just saying.

I addressed this.

I've been working on a lure to imitate a hooked crappie for years.
The largest fish in Fork live around crappie.
Of course, they will eat a crappie that gets itself hooked.
Lure is not ready .........Yet.

I hope it is a 8" Black Crappie pattern!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
Tournament permits I have been preaching for years. Lots of reasons why to do this. I think since a guide has to buy a license to make a living on a public lake then why not a tournament.IMO I think they should buy a permit plus at least 10% of the total pay out goes to restock the resources.

They hurt the resources more in a day than we as guides can in a lifetime.Fork is not in good shape for sure and this year will help but for how long ? Lots of things we can do and maybe taking out some water turkey's would be a good thing. They damage the resources just as much.

This argument can go for big fish also. No fish over 13 lbs should ever leave Lake Fork IMO !!! They should live/spawn & Die here not in Athens !!! Lake Fork donated so many fish in the past that our genetics for big bass are almost gone.

I remember back in the day when a 13 lb fish did not catch much attention cause 14,15,16 pounder's were being caught. It takes to long to grow a giant to let a man kill it in a day or a week.Let nature run is course.

TP&W does not think Lake Fork is broke so I do not see them doing anything to fix it. The total of fish per acre are way down and we all would like to see it get better.

Mark, thanks for commenting, but I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the SAL program.
The SAL program has been a great learning tool for TPWD, and a good avenue for spreading genetics throughout Texas waters.
250 or so fish that have been harvested over the last nearly 30 years from Fork, ( many of them returned live, as all of my 3 SAL fish have been),has been more beneficial to trophy enhancement Statewide, than detrimental to Fork, and is a drop in
the bucket to the negative factors we are facing today.
Posted By: T54

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:20 AM

This thread is all over them map.

Congrats Eric and partner.
Posted By: KPN IT REEL

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:26 AM

Bass, Florida Largemouth 2015 317,924 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2014 502,318 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2013 518,953 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2012 683,531 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2011 685,049 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2010 513,224 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2009 682,702 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2008 501,220 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2007 501,174 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2006 501,313 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2005 705,986 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2004 515,041 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2003 732,049 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2002
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:27 AM

All of us has to except the fact that Fork is not near what it use to be . And more than likely never going to be anywhere near what it use to be.
No way in hell are the marina's ,motels and most guides going to go for anything that cuts there bottom line.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:27 AM

Lake Fork did not need to be the supplier for the whole state. If all those fish would have stayed here and spawned here WOW what could have really happen. IMO
I know we are in trouble here if we don't do something.
Posted By: KPN IT REEL

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:28 AM

Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2013 4,559 Fingerling
Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2012 10,205 Fingerling
Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2011 39,872 Fingerling
Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2010 2,220 Fingerling
Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2009 3,000 Fingerling
Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2008 2,897 Fingerling
Bass, ShareLunker largemouth 2006

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:34 AM

Lake Fork did not need to be the supplier for the whole state. If all those fish would have stayed here and spawned here WOW what could have really happen. IMO
I know we are in trouble here if we don't do something.

All the FLMB fingerlings that were released in Texas waters were not from Fork.
Some of the FLMB fingerlings released into Fork were from other SAL offspring.
It's called "gene diversity".
Respectfully.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:34 AM

TP&W says that 1 % percent of total stocking numbers survive.

With Fork producing the most in the state in the SAL program, they were the biggest provider over all.

At the meeting held in mid summer with TP&W they said 80 percent of Lake Forks fish are half Native & Half Florida strain. So where are all the Florida genetics ? Where are all the big males we use to see ?

So if you have a game ranch with a 200 class buck would you loan him out to all other ranches in TX to breed their herd ? Then you get him back dead or hope to get him back alive ?

The less a man try's to play God the better off the world would be. IMO

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:42 AM

Since this thread is all over the place, here is an idea to toss around.

The striper fishermen at Tawakoni and Hubbard (and probably more lakes I do not know of) formed organizations that conduct fundraising and the monies raised go to buy fish to stock into the lakes.

Why can't this be done for LMB? The bigger tourneys could ask for donations as well as commit a small percentage of their entry money, or even raise the entry a couple dollars to throw into the fund. Guides could raise their fees by $2-3 a trip and contribute. The non tourney anglers or those that do not take guided trips could spare a few dollars a year to help stock the lake.

I know it is a different concept, but thinking outside the box sometimes not only remedies problems, but also leads to more people thinking outside the box and solutions can sometimes snowball to create positive outcomes to bad situations...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:44 AM

With Fork producing the most in the state in the SAL program, they were the biggest provider over all.

I understand, but although like you, I am a Lake Fork Junkie, it is the " Texas SAL program", not the "Lake Fork SAL" program.
Since the SAL program, 40+ lakes in Texas have produced SAL fish.
How can that be bad for Texas fisherpeople?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:46 AM

Did I mention it was 95, no breeze ,humidity was high. It was a tough day for all. I hope these pictures come through. I have several more if the Triton people want them. It was a good tournament.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Mega23
Did I mention it was 95, no breeze ,humidity was high. It was a tough day for all. I hope these pictures come through. I have several more if the Triton people want them. It was a good tournament.

No offense, but how does this picture benefit Lake Fork?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:51 AM

Richard I respect what you are saying but I agree to disagree with most of it. I guess just a different way of looking at things. LOL
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:52 AM

I've been in the lodging business here on Fork since 1993. While I have nothing personal against tournaments or those who fish them, I get more inquiries from people who will not book a room if a tournament is being held than I do from the tournament fishermen who usually just want one night for a weekend instead of two.

I believe that the tournaments have every right under current law to utilize this public resource for financial gain. However, the guides and marina owners are both required to purchase a license/permit to conduct business on this lake. I don't think it is unreasonable to require tournaments to do the same. These funds can be used to improve our lakes.

Over the past 25 years I have seen our "season" shrink from 9 to 10 months with people coming from all over the world, to a few weekends in the spring and early summer and fall. There several contributing factors as discussed above, but it boils down to one thing.....people can't come here and catch fish. I see it year after year. A large number of the reports I see posted here are BS. I talk to the unhappy customers after their guide has left, only to see pictures posted here, of the three fish, with exaggerated weights, held too close to the camera, that the guide caught.

Until we get more fish in the lake by whatever means, fishing will not improve. Pretty simple.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:54 AM

I can beat Eric 😜

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:57 AM

Lol

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 03:10 AM

At the meeting held in mid summer with TP&W they said 80 percent of Lake Forks fish are half Native & Half Florida strain. So where are all the Florida genetics ? Where are all the big males we use to see ?

So if you have a game ranch with a 200 class buck would you loan him out to all other ranches in TX to breed their herd ? Then you get him back dead or hope to get him back alive ?

A private game ranch and public waters are 2 totally different things.
TPWD did not have A program to turn in big males, so I don't see your point on this.
Actually, the % of pure FLMB are way less than 50%

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 03:11 AM

Mr. Wright, please don't let this discussion diminish what you and your partner accomplished last weekend. You guys won, fair and square.

The photo above perfectly illustrates why so many Fork long timers are speaking up about tournament pressure on the lake. Three of the five bass in that photo are soon to be dead. Don't reply with 'they swam away fine' at weigh-in. Three of those five are DEAD. Easy to rationalize. But in the long run, and every weekend. I hope you're saving every tournament $ you're earning. Enjoy it while u can. It won't last. Unless all you're worried about is being the guy who weighs 9-11 pounds of unders in every event.

In that case, you're part and parcel of the challenge. Glory with 5 for 9, or one for 9. The choice belongs to you. Trophy fishery or dink fest? Can't have it both ways.

What's it gonna be? 9 lb tournament lake or 9 lb trophy lake?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 03:44 AM

Mr. Wright, please don't let this discussion diminish what you and your partner accomplished last weekend. You guys won, fair and square.

The photo above perfectly illustrates why so many Fork long timers are speaking up about tournament pressure on the lake. Three of the five bass in that photo are soon to be dead. Don't reply with 'they swam away fine' at weigh-in. Three of those five are DEAD. Easy to rationalize. But in the long run, and every weekend. I hope you're saving every tournament $ you're earning. Enjoy it while u can. It won't last. Unless all you're worried about is being the guy who weighs 9-11 pounds of unders in every event.

In that case, you're part and parcel of the challenge. Glory with 5 for 9, or one for 9. The choice belongs to you. Trophy fishery or dink fest? Can't have it both ways.

What's it gonna be? 9 lb tournament lake or 9 lb trophy lake?

This is a good post.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 03:47 AM

Great post!!!!these fish were literally jumping out of the bag at weigh- in ... Great job Eric

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:00 AM

Great post!!!!these fish were literally jumping out of the bag at weigh- in ... Great job Eric

Naturally, you're gonna defend your position.
You simply used Eric to get a "win".
Congratulations.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:09 AM

A private game ranch and public waters are 2 totally different things.
TPWD did not have A program to turn in big males, so I don't see your point on this.
Actually, the % of pure FLMB are way less than 50%

I am wrong.
The % of fish in Fork that are 50% FLMB, and 50% native, is way less than 50%.
Closer to 7-8% FLMB.
I have the survey results at shop, so I may post them tomorrow if this thread goes much further.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:10 AM

Well jelly beans... I surly just wanted to give congrats to Eric and his partner on their win and didn't mean to have a big issue on how Lake Fork is doing. But if any of you know Sept/Oct on Fork and think you can pull in 9lbs there's several tourney coming up.. Good Luck. Irving bass club, Berkley, just to name a few. I have a solution, maybe just allow Tournament Fishing every other year on Fork. Except for the Toyota & Pro classic.

Congrats again to Eric & Partner on win. Humm I know where you fish smile

Fish -On
Donna

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:17 AM

Well jelly beans... I surly just wanted to give congrats to Eric and his partner on their win and didn't mean to have a big issue on how Lake Fork is doing. But if any of you know Sept/Oct on Fork and think you can pull in 9lbs there's several tourney coming up.. Good Luck. Irving bass club, Berkley, just to name a few. I have a solution, maybe just allow Tournament Fishing every other year on Fork. Except for the Toyota & Pro classic.

Congrats again to Eric & Partner on win. Humm I know where you fish smile

Fish -On
Donna

AS I stated early on, I did not diminish what Eric and his "partner" accomplished in this tournament.
I simply asked if this (5 fish for under 9 lbs) is a beneficial statistic for Lake Fork.
Will this result in tourism to Lake Fork?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:23 AM

No

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:41 AM

Why? Can you imagine tournaments every other year what this lake could gain from it. I could, You would start seeing bigger weigh in bags, see more out of state people come during the year there is no tournaments schedule for Fork. Just a thought.

I remember after 911 when they stopped all fisherman to be able to fish on Sqaw Creek where the nuclear power plant is in Glen Rose, Texas, after several years they open back up to public but is regulated to 100 boats I believe in a day. The Large Mouth Bass were monsters.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:45 AM

actually they were bigger before 911.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
actually they were bigger before 911.

Truth

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 05:33 AM

I don't agree that the fish per acre are down from years past and tournaments do hurt the lake but with this years spawn to help out in the future and hopefully the next 2-3 years have spawns like we did this year fishing will improve in the next 3-7 years.
its just the tournys that will continue to hurt the lake along with low water levels

Remember just cause some tournys and guys that are no doubt great sticks don't catch solid fish everytime they fish the lake there is a reason the TTBC came back to fork and I believe they will be back next year as well. There still is some great fish in the lake just they know how to catch them better than the average fisherman maybe we all need to change the way we fish the lake.
Posted By: Holein MyHook

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 07:15 AM

Congrats Eric.
This was not even 2 years ago. What is long lining lol!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:07 PM

Richard my opinion on the game ranch vs public water is you cant keep pulling genetics from your main resource and expect to keep them in the lake/ranch. It is common sense.

The big females IMO like to spawn with big males. Back when Fork was prime you seen 10 lb fish with big males. Big on big means your off spring has a high percentage of being big. If you have no bigs males anymore then you do not get the full package.

SAL puts a huge female with a small male. Their answer is the female bass holds all the genetics in the bass world ! That IMO is total BS. They are breeding race horses to donkey's and expecting to get race horses.

Does the program help TX ..YES ! Does it hurt Trophy lakes YES ! IMO Not to mention the fish that die in the program and if the fish would have just been released well chances are it lives.

Making a fish spawn in a unnatural environment just makes no sense to me.

If Toyota did not fund the program I am sure TP&W would not waist their money on it.

Sorry to all the readers on this post I know this is not what this thread was about but just talking about our baby Lake Fork and our opinions on how to fix it or what is killing it for all of us. You just hate to see what was a great fisheries go in the toilet.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:16 PM

I do not believe this is just a Lake Fork problem, it is a just about an everywhere problem. I'm genuinely afraid most of my best fishing days are behind me. It's simple math. More people, same amount of water, fewer fish over time. When was the last time any significant water was added to Texas? How many more people does this state have over the past decade? These massive tournaments can do more damage to a public resource in a few days than can be done by the general public in months. I can think of no other organized function that promotes the raping and pillaging of a public resource quite like these huge tournaments. Folks who have trouble seeing this must have been sick the day their kindergarten class read the Lorax. It blows my mind how anyone can even be interested in being named the tallest midget in the parade in these under tournaments. I guess it's money. Congrats on those 2lbers. I agree it is a difficult problem to solve, but if we don't proactively attack it, it'll solve it's self when our kids have nothing left worth fishing for.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:27 PM

Bass N Buck numbers are way down. I have shock reports from TP&W from 2009-2014 and it is ugly to say the least. As far as the TTBC guys well most of them get their info from us local guides.

When Keith Combs knocked it out of the park two years ago. A local guide put him on those fish. Not to mention myself and 3-4 other guides were catching big sacks like that for about 2 weeks we just were not talking about it and it was short lived pattern on small groups of pre-spawners.

It was perfect timing for that tournament. IMO
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:48 PM

Drought, no grass, and white bass. There are the problems, it's that simple. Things we can't really control at this point. Same thing that happened to Ray Roberts. I hope Fork can bounce back. I think this years spawn has a chance to bring Fork back in 5 +/- years.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 12:54 PM

It's not just bass, spoke with a catfish guy who only catfishes fork and he said cat fishing is down as well.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 01:16 PM

Richard...I honestly don't understand what you're advocating. What is the solution in your opinion? Getting rid of tournaments, getting rid of the slot, getting rid of live bait fishing, etc...? You've talked a lot about how much Fork has declined but I don't understand what you're proposing as the solution to that problem.

Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
Drought, no grass, and white bass. There are the problems, it's that simple. Things we can't really control at this point. Same thing that happened to Ray Roberts. I hope Fork can bounce back. I think this years spawn has a chance to bring Fork back in 5 +/- years.
I tend to agree with this. I think the low water, lack of grass, and massive population of white bass have all been major factors in the decline of the lake. Sure, tournaments don't help, but getting rid of them probably wouldn't have a significant impact unless you did it for 5-10 years, and nobody with a financial interest in the lake is going to go for that.

I do agree with getting rid of live-baiters for bass. Live bait fishermen probably kill more fish per fisherman than any other type of angler IMHO. And there are enough now that the impact is meaningful.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:14 PM

Live baiters should only be using circle hooks.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 02:46 PM

If we get rid of tournaments around Lake Fork the marinas and local economy would suffer. I agree tournaments do hurt fish but there has to be a happy medium. What Richard and Brooks are saying is completely right and for anyone to argue with those guys is nuts. I personally think the lake is in one of those lulls that all lakes go through. I have clients tell me all the time, Toledo is horrible then I read about 30 lb stringers. Same thing with Rayburn, a client can't catch fish on Rayburn but then a "guide" weighs in 50 something pounds in two days. I know on Fork right now we are having 30-60 fish days. Yes most of those are 10-16 inches with some dang big slots mixed in, so what does that mean for the next couple years?

Congrats to Eric and partner!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 03:01 PM

wish they would lay off Tyler for a few years, it hasn't rebounded in 1/2 a decade, of coarse the grass fishermen are going respond with a grass complaint but I have seen a bass eat grass, EVER!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 04:38 PM

1990 Texas Population - 17.06 million

2015 Texas Population - 27.70 million

throw in 4-7 million undocumented people, and that is well over 30 million people

Number of new sizable bass fishing lakes since 1990 - 1 Cooper Lake (1991)

Ray Roberts in 1987, so I guess you can count it

too many people + no new lakes + statewide droughts = less fish to catch
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 09:52 PM

nice post

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

throw in 4-7 million undocumented people, and that is well over 30 million people

I would say out of the 10+ million increase 8-9 million are illegals and out of that maybe less than 1k fish fork, they ain't coming here to fish fork they are coming here to waste our water and live free off our tax dollars which may or may not take away resources from our parks and lakes...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 10:15 PM

its about the water usage, not them fishing.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 10:51 PM

I lived most of my life in a state that regulates and permit tournaments. So you get a couple of idiots in the permitting department over thinking a problem that does not exist and OOPS that is one to many tournaments on that lake on that weekend. Whoops that is to much pressure on THAT lake.
And then the politics get into it and influence from HOA's and other homeowner or bird watching groups and pretty soon you can only fish on Saturdays.

I have seen it.
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 11:15 PM

Ya'll are really over analyzing this, this isn't rocket surgery. Low lake levels, bad largemoth spawns, increase in the piranhas known as sandbass...what does that equal? Rather than banning people from fishing, banning tournaments from being held, banning people who fish with live bait(which is legal in most of AMERICA) how bout ya'll advocate a keep or kill for the fish that are REALLY depleting the resources...sand bass. LMAO

Food is what makes bass grow, not lack of tournaments hahaha.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 11:35 PM

Do bass not eat sand bass? When I catch them I don't eat them nor do they swim away. There are a lot of critters on the bank less hungry because of my efforts.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 11:37 PM

And I'm aware that's illegal. Raccoon thanked me last week so it was worth it!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/29/15 11:56 PM

The white bass are here to stay.
We can't control mother nature, whether it's lack of rain, or vegetation.
We can plant some vegetation, such as water willows, but it takes money and effort.
TPWD stocks on average, around 500,000 FLMB fingerlings per year with a 1% (hopeful) survival rate to adulthood. That's 5,000 FLMB per year, APP. half males, half females (hopefully).
Only 6.7% in 2013 sampling were pure FLMB. 86.6% were F1 or Fx hybrids.

In the last 10 years, only 38.5% of the SAL fish were pure FLMB
In other words, the intergrades still have trophy potential.
The only thing we can control is harvest.
There are many scenarios, (all with compromises), that could be implemented to insure higher recruitment into the slot.
Whacking the little ones every single weekend is not the answer.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 12:14 AM

just got back. saw a guy with 11.3 .released her out in the lake where she was caught. I had a 9 last week. plenty of fish they are just suspended. I am enjoying all the no boats. you guys stay on your computers you will figure it out.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 12:31 AM

just got back. saw a guy with 11.3 .released her out in the lake where she was caught. I had a 9 last week. plenty of fish they are just suspended. I am enjoying all the no boats. you guys stay on your computers you will figure it out.

If you've spent 1/10th of time I have on this lake, you would understand why this post offends me.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 12:47 AM

spent more than 1/10 of the time you have . Sorry to burst your bubble

If you've spent 1/10th of time I have on this lake, you would understand why this post offends me.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 12:50 AM

Tell us about the time you've spent on Fork.
Tell us about all the g fish you've caught.
Maybe with your expertise, we all might learn something.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 01:07 AM

Its not my fault your having trouble catching fish no need to rag on me

Tell us about the time you've spent on Fork.
Tell us about all the g fish you've caught.
Maybe with your expertise, we all might learn something.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 01:15 AM

I was hoping that a tidbit of information from you could turn this lake around, how is that ragging on you?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 01:17 AM

Wow! Whoever this Snickers dude there is a trail you can pony up and test your skills if your so good. If you think you can accomplish what myself did or Richard McCarty did then get after it.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 01:20 AM

No never claimed to be anything special. Im out sorry to have offended you .

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:02 AM

Water levels, grass and forage, plain and simple. Its not a unique Fork problem, it happens to lakes all over the place. When there is grass for extended periods on lakes, the fishing is great. Take away grass and it affects the entire food chain and fishing is never the same. Some lakes collapse, some are just shells of their former self. After the new lake effect wears off, most lakes need grass to be truly great fisheries. More straws sucking water out of Fork equals less stable water levels, which make it more difficult for grass propagation. Fork will benefit from the spring flood, banner spawn, and "new lake effect". In a couple years, I am willing to bet we will see plenty of "Fork is on fire" posts.

Stockings have been proven to be marginally effective on lakes that have an established population. Good habitat for natural spawns of forage fish and bass is the answer.

Taking away access for any angler is insane. Maybe some of you should move to California and you can have limited access, over-regulated fishing until your heart is content.

I live in Japan now and fish Lake Biwa regularly. You think Fork gets pressure? Every single weekend of the year on Biwa looks like the McDonald's on Fork. I've never seen more boats per acre anywhere in my life. The government also shocks up bass and bluegill during the spawns and kills them. It is tougher to get fish to bite because they are educated from all the pressure, but there are still giants, a decent population of fish and every single one we catch is a butterball, they are incredibly healthy fish. Why with all of these extreme external factors can the lake produce incredible catches? It is loaded with grass, that is why.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:13 AM

and I am not saying that size of a lake is irrelevant, because I think the ratio of fishing pressure to lake size definitely affects a lake, but look at Guntersville. Yes, it is twice the size as Fork, but the tournament pressure is crazy, it has a ton of guides, plenty of meat fishermen (probably more so than Fork), plenty of live bait fishermen. It is still an incredible fishery. Why? Grass.

Toledo Bend, yes it is much bigger, but again it has crazy tournament pressure and plenty of people killing fish. It is one of the best lakes in the world again. Why? Grass.

Lake Austin is 1/12 of the size of Fork and the pressure per acre was insane. For a while, you could argue that it was the best lake in the state. It still produced ridiculous results when it had grass, despite the pressure. Take away the grass and the place is nothing.

Pressure, white bass, tournaments, live bait...sure they have an impact, but not nearly the impact of habitat and food chain.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: T54
Water levels, grass and forage, plain and simple. Its not a unique Fork problem, it happens to lakes all over the place. When there is grass for extended periods on lakes, the fishing is great. Take away grass and it affects the entire food chain and fishing is never the same. Some lakes collapse, some are just shells of their former self. After the new lake effect wears off, most lakes need grass to be truly great fisheries. More straws sucking water out of Fork equals less stable water levels, which make it more difficult for grass propagation. Fork will benefit from the spring flood, banner spawn, and "new lake effect". In a couple years, I am willing to bet we will see plenty of "Fork is on fire" posts.

Stockings have been proven to be marginally effective on lakes that have an established population. Good habitat for natural spawns of forage fish and bass is the answer.

Taking away access for any angler is insane. Maybe some of you should move to California and you can have limited access, over-regulated fishing until your heart is content.

I live in Japan now and fish Lake Biwa regularly. You think Fork gets pressure? Every single weekend of the year on Biwa looks like the McDonald's on Fork. I've never seen more boats per acre anywhere in my life. The government also shocks up bass and bluegill during the spawns and kills them. It is tougher to get fish to bite because they are educated from all the pressure, but there are still giants, a decent population of fish and every single one we catch is a butterball, they are incredibly healthy fish. Why with all of these extreme external factors can the lake produce incredible catches? It is loaded with grass, that is why.

No way to argue that.
Problem on Fork is that there is virtually no grass, massive tournament pressure targeting unders, no restrictions on access, and simply put, technology has allowed more anglers to target our offshore, sanctuary fish.
Small lake, close proximity to a major metropolitan area, and history.
We may simply have to accept the fact that Fork is no longer "special".
Catch them all, useing every legal technique, on to the next lake.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:19 AM

Don't forget about the sink hole in Williams!!! hammer

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:28 AM

No way to argue that.
Problem on Fork is that there is virtually no grass, massive tournament pressure targeting unders, no restrictions on access, and simply put, technology has allowed more anglers to target our offshore, sanctuary fish.

Sometimes you need to adapt with changing times. Something the state of Texas has not done with it's water management policy. Imagine what an additional 10 reservoirs would have done for the state this past Spring. People should be focusing their energy on increasing access...new lakes. Spreads the anglers out and helps stabilize water levels on existing lakes.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Richard...I honestly don't understand what you're advocating. What is the solution in your opinion? Getting rid of tournaments, getting rid of the slot, getting rid of live bait fishing, etc...? You've talked a lot about how much Fork has declined but I don't understand what you're proposing as the solution to that problem.

I tend to agree with this. I think the low water, lack of grass, and massive population of white bass have all been major factors in the decline of the lake. Sure, tournaments don't help, but getting rid of them probably wouldn't have a significant impact unless you did it for 5-10 years, and nobody with a financial interest in the lake is going to go for that.

I do agree with getting rid of live-baiters for bass. Live bait fishermen probably kill more fish per fisherman than any other type of angler IMHO. And there are enough now that the impact is meaningful.

I've thought about this a lot, but I know it's not perfect.
Live bait fishing for bass should be banned on a lake like Fork, just as some methods are banned on trophy trout waters in other States.
No technique is allowed that presents a lure to a bass, farther than you can cast the lure.
For now, eliminate the slot.
Adopt a 21' minimum harvest, 1 fish.(this will still attract big bass tournaments). WE all know that EVERYBODY catches bunches of fish just under 24"
After 2 years, reinstate a slot limit according to reccomendations from TPWD.
Discuss.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:59 AM

So from a tournament perspective, instead of beating up on little fish, you think it is more beneficial to a lake to beat up on 5+ lbers?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:07 AM

So from a tournament perspective, instead of beating up on little fish, you think it is more beneficial to a lake to beat up on 5+ lbers?

If it puts more fish into a protected status, (after a good spawn), yes, I think it will benefit Lake Fork in the long run.
Keep in mind, I'm proposing a 1 fish limit.
Even though more 5 lbers will be caught, they won't be retained.
5 lbers are pretty hardy, and if caught and released immediately, more will survive than 12 inchers caught and released.
Also, keep in mind that this is a sort-term proposal to our current condition.
After 2 years, this will be re-evaluated.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:37 AM

Richard,

As far as bigger fish being more hardy than a smaller, say 12" fish, I'm not sure I would agree with that. I researched this back in the 90's. And I've been bass fishing for 30 years. Through my research and my own first hand experience I have learned a large bass will go into shock much easier and faster than a smaller one. The reason behind this is the bigger fish when stressed almost instantly develops a lethal amount of lactic acid in its system. Because of the larger body size and weight they are capable of producing lethal amounts in a very short time where the smaller fish don't. Many times a large fish will meet its demise if not immediately returned to the water and recuperated properly. This is why if you take too many pictures and take too long some of these lunkers turn over on their sides when released. They're in shock. And once they get to that point the only way you can possibly save them is to stay with them and keep them upright until they snap out of it and take off. But it is my belief many of them after snapping out of it end up not making it. A small bass will last much longer in the live well than a large bass will. They handle the stress better. They don't produce as much lactic acid in relation to their body weight. The stress of the fight and then the stress of being held too long out of the water is what causes the lactic acid production that kills them.

Keep the live wells healthy. I've revived big bass in the live well with proper care and using the proper amounts of keep alive and keeping the aerators running. A clean and healthy live well environment will surely help.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just offering another point of view from experience. Keep up the great discussions on this subject. I really enjoy it.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:50 AM

No way to argue that.

Sometimes you need to adapt with changing times. Something the state of Texas has not done with it's water management policy. Imagine what an additional 10 reservoirs would have done for the state this past Spring. People should be focusing their energy on increasing access...new lakes. Spreads the anglers out and helps stabilize water levels on existing lakes.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I was reading up on Bois d'arc Reservoir today and saw some information that really surprised me. There has not been many lakes built in Texas in the last 40-50 years.

Look at Lavon Lake. It used to be a tremendous fishery. But the amount of fluctuation due to drought and water usage has really hampered the potential of that lake and many others. Cooper is another example. That big ol pipeline is important. And its importance ruined the bass fishery that lake once was (for a very short period of time). Do you remember how awesome Cooper was in the first 10 years or so? DD's were coming out of that lake right and left. But they about sucked it dry.

We do need more lakes.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:24 AM

😟🐟😜🐟😋🐟🍺🐟😛
Wow!! Dang!! Y'all been busy on here today while I fished & grilled . Was a nice day on Fork. Here's one of my fat healthy 13 1/4" fish that I caught and put right back in lake to hopefully catch again when she gets to be a Hawg. I love the ideal about the Big tournaments puttung in 10% of the tournament entry money back into stocking the lake. I'm ready for Berkley!! See ya at weigh in

Fish-On
Donna

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:29 AM

Good Read
Posted By: johnathonmharding

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:21 AM

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 11:22 AM

If it puts more fish into a protected status, (after a good spawn), yes, I think it will benefit Lake Fork in the long run.
5 lbers are pretty hardy, and if caught and released immediately, more will survive than 12 inchers caught and released.

We could also implement a 'no cull' clause for the derbys, Like Wisconsin?
This would add to the strategy for the contestants.
If you live-well a legal fish, you're done for the day.
This would keep live-well time at a minimum.
This will still allow some to claim at the end of the day, " I caught an 8 lber, but released her thinking I could catch a bigger one"

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 01:11 PM

Live bait fishing for bass should be banned on a lake like Fork, just as some methods are banned on trophy trout waters in other States.
No technique is allowed that presents a lure to a bass, farther than you can cast the lure.
Adopt a 21' minimum harvest, 1 fish.(this will still attract big bass tournaments). WE all know that EVERYBODY catches bunches of fish just under 24"
Discuss.
I could live with that, and I see what you're trying to do. Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:14 PM

OK,,,, so with all these post and the discussions made .......
who will be the first TD to say, you know, they are right, let's move our tournament to another lake.
who will be the first full time guide on FORK to say, you know, they are right, I am going to quit being a guide on Lake Fork and only guide on Tawakoni or Palestine.
who will be the first local fisherman to say, no more live bait for me it is hurting the fishing.
Don't think it is going to happen.
Plus with varied opinions of the condition of Fork and the reason(s) why it is what it is,,,,there will always be tournament fishing on Lake Fork.
Just keep in mind that lake fishing runs in cycles. Look at all the BIG bass lakes in the State of Texas and you see cycles from when TP&W started keeping stats.
No lake is ever going to be as good as it once was way back when.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
who will be the first TD to say, you know, they are right, let's move our tournament to another lake.
who will be the first full time guide on FORK to say, you know, they are right, I am going to quit being a guide on Lake Fork and only guide on Tawakoni or Palestine.
who will be the first local fisherman to say, no more live bait for me it is hurting the fishing.
Plus with varied opinions of the condition of Fork and the reason(s) why it is what it is,,,,there will always be tournament fishing on Lake Fork.
Just keep in mind that lake fishing runs in cycles. Look at all the BIG bass lakes in the State of Texas and you see cycles from when TP&W started keeping stats.

This is the most rational statement of the entire thread. It's funny to me that fork gets stocked probably more than the rest of the lakes put together on average and has for year. A guide who makes a living off a public resource is griping about tourneys who do the same. Good stuff. Lol
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 02:43 PM

As a long time Fork angler, I fished it from the late 80's all the way through the 90's every weekend I wasn't fishing a tournament on another lake, it is great to see this great discussion regarding the condition of this great lake. Although there are debates on what needs to be done from different people, I am hoping maybe there are more discussions and meetings so that there can be even more people getting together to try to solve any of the problems with the lake that can be fixed. I feel almost guilty because I was able to spend so much time on Fork when it was at it's peak and the great thing is I can go to bed each night and I have more memories piled up inside me to last the rest of my life. The peak time period for the lake made such an impression on those of us that got to enjoy it that it has taken way too many years to except the fact that it is not even close to the same lake. It used to be that even when the decline started you couldn't hardly fish the lake and make a good cast that you were not almost shaking when anticipating what might happen. Nowdays you just spend a lot of time just searching to catch any fish. I feel guilty that I pretty much have taken this lake for granted for quite a long time now and would love to see the lake get back to being the special lake that it used to be.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

I would say out of the 10+ million increase 8-9 million are illegals and out of that maybe less than 1k fish fork, they ain't coming here to fish fork they are coming here to waste our water and live free off our tax dollars which may or may not take away resources from our parks and lakes...

My point is we have more people fishing the same water we had when the population was 10 million less people.

So naturally there won't be as many fish to catch. Fork gets a lot of the attention in the North Texas area, but there are many more lakes that are in the exact same position as Fork.

Another factor that may contribute to fish on Fork being more difficult to catch is there are a lot of guides that work on Fork. Let's say there are 100 guides who have 100 trips a year. Each trip has 2 anglers, that's 20000 anglers a year. Out of that 20000 anglers, let's say 25% own a boat. Now they have info they learned from their guide to catch fish they didn't know where there before or didn't know how to catch before. Now you have 5000 additional people fishing for the fish they didn't know how to catch before.

My estimates are probably on the low end. Now that scenario creates more pressure on fish that used to live with out being caught. Now a percentage of those fish may die from being caught and handled.

That being said, take 10 years and now you have 50000 new fishermen fishing for fish that used to get little or no pressure. Now each shows 6 friends how to catch these fish and that's 300000 people fishing for the same groups of fish.

Fork being 29k acres limits the places those previously "un catchable" fish can live. Better electronics and better equipment have also contributed to catching these groups of fish.

So should we limit the amount of guided trips on Fork? In my opinion, no that's absurd.

I don't believe the answer is more laws and/or regulation. Most things that get over regulated end up becoming train wrecks.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

This is the most rational statement of the entire thread. It's funny to me that fork gets stocked probably more than the rest of the lakes put together on average and has for year. A guide who makes a living off a public resource is griping about tourneys who do the same. Good stuff. Lol

Really? It's just an "It is what its is" comment.

Richard is making an effort to get the masses to start thinking about the future. Fishing and catching fish is the same whether you are out for a day of fun alone, with a guide or in a tournament. The dubious distinction that makes tourneys different is the high retention of the resource, even though temporarily, and the high mortality that comes with that fact.

We have enjoyed the heyday of Lake Fork and most of our other great reservoirs. Lake Fork has had the regenerative qualities to stand up to the beating it has taken and remain in good shape, until the last few years that is.
Water resource management and Fisheries management are, of course, two different things. TPW Fisheries has done an amazing job with our waters and the Sharelunker program has been invaluable and added much to our fisheries, statewide.

The fact is that water resource interests rule the future. The population boom in our state is changing things as we have known and enjoyed them in the past.
It appears that the powers that be are waging war against aquatic vegetation and the goal is to keep our waters clean and clear of offending weeds. This is devastating our prime habitat and it hurts.

Things are changing and we have to begin to change too.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:47 PM

I say stop crying and fish someone will catch a 11 or 12 in a few days or week and everyone will be saying lake fork is on fire and as long as people are bringing money in nothing will change cause the dollar rules over everything in this world (sadly)

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 03:51 PM

You mistake "crying" for genuine concern over the health of an once outstanding trophy fishery. No one's crying. We're discussing the lake and ideas to help it perhaps become the fabulous trophy fishery it once was. It's not 11's and 12's that made the lake great. It was numbers of good fish and DD's into the teens. We don't have the same numbers of good fish in Fork any longer.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:08 PM

Then if you can pay the money that tournaments and tourism fisherman bring to the table maybe theyll listen to you if not then there aint much you can do

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:15 PM

Tournaments don't bring that much money and they do more harm to the fishery than good. They're in and out, typically in one day. Tourism used to bring lots of money to the local economy but that has fallen off dramatically since the decline of numbers of good fish and the plethora of dinkmaster tournaments have descended on the lake. How long you been around the lake, Mr.Harding?

I was there the day it opened. Have a place on the lake and have fished it for 35 years. I've seen all the changes for the better and for the worse. And, while a few guides book one day pre-tournament trips to help their customers get on fish, they also typically won't guide during a big tournament. So the tournaments are really hurting guides more than they help.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:17 PM

Grass. Grass helps with spawns, it gives stocked fish places to hide and it attracts the bait for the bass. You don't catch many sandbass while fishing grass, at least in my experiences. I never got to fish fork in its prime, which really sucks, but I have seen how killing the grass on cypress hurt it. Grass isn't the only factor, but if the grass came back that would be an enormous step in the right direction. I wonder what the survival rate of fingerlings is when they have grass to hide in. We talk about how good this spawn was this year with the flooded brush, well grass is essentially the same cover. Whomever advocates grass carp, spraying hydrilla and killing off grass carries a great amount of fault.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:20 PM

Dont bring in money? Wered all the big bass splash anglers sleep and eat and get fuel for their boats? Ive never seen all of them sleepin on the deck of there boats when im there maybe one or 2

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:21 PM

More than 25% coverage of vegetation is detrimental to a lake over the long term. Hydrilla is an invasive that isn't easily controlled and, left unchecked, can inundate an impoundment in a very short period of time. I love fishing grass, but it's not that simple. Has to be a happy median between water usage, intakes and natural habitat like water willows.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: johnathonmharding
Dont bring in money? Wered all the big bass splash anglers sleep and eat and get fuel for their boats? Ive never seen all of them sleepin on the deck of there boats when im there maybe one or 2

Again, I ask how long you've been around the lake? I recall all the campgrounds and motels booked up solid throughout the spring and into summer. Those folks came and stayed for long periods of time and brought a helluva lot more revenue to the area than a three day tournament. Ask any of the motel/marina owners. Or the guides who were there back then, like Richard.

Ask Kyle Jones over at Lake Fork Lodge. In fact, he made a post on this thread earlier about his business now versus then.

Your being myopic in your argument. Try and understand the BIG picture.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:31 PM

More than 25% coverage of vegetation is detrimental to a lake over the long term. Hydrilla is an invasive that isn't easily controlled and, left unchecked, can inundate an impoundment in a very short period of time. I love fishing grass, but it's not that simple. Has to be a happy median between water usage, intakes and natural habitat like water willows.

Absolutely, there has to be a good balance. There seems to be no consideration for it at all though, except for it's eradication.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:33 PM

IT IS WHAT IT IS shut up fish

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:37 PM

^^^^^^

If folks had your attitude, there would be no more buffalo, polluted trout streams wouldn't have been reclaimed, habitat for ducks, deer, rocky mountain elk, north american sheep, whooping cranes etc. wouldn't have been paid for by sportsman's associations and they'd all be extinct. Your attitude is part of the problem, not the solution. So keep your head buried in the sand. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. It is what it is.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 04:52 PM

I wouldnt say part of the problem I pay my taxes my boat registration abide by all laws and regulations on the water and off, if tpwd dont use the money they get from me to up keep th lake to other peoples opinionated level then o well im sure they know whats best if any of you feel you could do a better job im sure they have applications

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:03 PM

I wouldnt say part of the problem I pay my taxes my boat registration abide by all laws and regulations on the water and off, if tpwd dont use the money they get from me to up keep th lake to other peoples opinionated level then o well im sure they know whats best if any of you feel you could do a better job im sure they have applications

Sounds like you would get along well fishing in Cuba. Shhhhh, Gov't knows best.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:06 PM

What is that suppose to mean? Since i dont loose sleep at night over something that wont get fixed overnight

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:15 PM

What is that suppose to mean? Since i dont loose sleep at night over something that wont get fixed overnight

This is a good discussion over pertinent issues. Times are changing and we can all benefit from being aware of issues and working on possible solutions.
Being dismissive and napping on it offers nothing. If this was everyone's thought process then we could say goodnight to good fishing.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:19 PM

Shoot an email or a really well written letter stating your concerns im sure itll get put at the top of agenda

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:31 PM

Shoot an email or a really well written letter stating your concerns im sure itll get put at the top of agenda

You're all over it, man. We can all shut up and save the Forum for posting tourney results.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:33 PM

After 177 replies and 4633 views its about time!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 05:54 PM

Didnt try to pi$$ anyone off just fish and have a good time fork will fix itself if tpwd dont so just keepin fishin you dont knw wen your last trip will be! cheers fish

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 07:11 PM

After 177 replies and 4633 views its about time!

If you do not have anything to add to this situation please stay out of it. Thanks, Rodney

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 07:47 PM

fork nor tpwd is ever going save itself from what our future in Texas holds. I was fortunate to have fished fork since the 80's and commend Richard for what he has accomplished over the years and is trying to for its future. water is the new texas gold and unfortunately it takes decades of red tape cutting just to acquire the land for new lakes. our population increase along with drought makes it very valuable and the rich and wise have known this for many years. these lakes are built primarily for that purpose(to provide water), fishing is just a bonus. the cali delta is a good foresight into what our future may hold. I would love to see fork as it once was but not sure that will ever happen. I am also glad to see some positive ideas being discussed on here but, a few replies here have been plain ignorant. My 2cents

fish
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 10:11 PM

I can't believe I just read this whole thread! So I'll give my 2 cents. When a lake level drops as drastically as it has in recent years the fishing and fish population always suffers. Look at Falcon and Amistad since the drought. Less cover for baitfish and they get eaten up quick. With the number of bass that came from this latest spawn the lake should really rebound good if the lake level can stay up. Grass would help a ton but just hasn't really come back well since they did the big spray on the hyacinth. Fork is deep enough that hydrilla isn't going to take over the lake. And in my memory the fishing was always best when the grass was at its best. It will recover from the drought, just going to take some time. No need in pointing fingers at who's ruining the lake when Mother Nature probably is the biggest factor.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 09/30/15 10:29 PM

Chris B.

Your exactly right. This is for the most part a Mother Nature issue. But, as sportsman what can we do to help out. There's been a lot of great opinions and there are obviously some men with some logic and foresight. As for me I've made a living on this lake since I was 21. I have a passion for lake Fork and bass fishing in general and I want to continue to make a living here for the rest of my life. Some of my best memories of my life have been on Fork as a kid on the 80s and 90s fishing with my dad. Now that I'm a father I want my son to have the opportunity to catch bass and make memories with me like I did with my dad therefore I have a responsibility to protect the lakes future. All of us have a responsibility to protect its future. It's just the right thing to do. I dont want the next generation to not have the opportunity to be able to catch bass on Fork because we were so greedy and selfish.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 12:16 AM

Discuss.

So far, I've seen one reply to this concept, and at least it wasn't negative.
Does anybody else have an opinion?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 01:06 AM

You guys are smoking hydrilla if you think fishing with live bait is killing more bass than those who are fishing with artificial lures.

I guess I am fishing in the wrong places, I haven't seen anyone fishing for bass with live bait. Is this just a select few who are doing this or is there 80 to 400 boats every weekend fishing with live bait?

Just a thought.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 01:11 AM

All ideas are certainly welcome. We have a State/National treasure here. Mother Nature's fix will be whatever it turns out to be. However, I believe that the first thing that should happen is that tournaments should have to pay a substantial resource fee based on the number of entries. This needs to go back into the resource 100%.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 01:22 AM

You guys are smoking hydrilla if you think fishing with live bait is killing more bass than those who are fishing with artificial lures.

I guess I am fishing in the wrong places, I haven't seen anyone fishing for bass with live bait. Is this just a select few who are doing this or is there 80 to 400 boats every weekend fishing with live bait?

Just a thought.

Not gonna argue your first sentence
If you are not seeing the live-bait fishers, you're simply not being observant enough.
The issue is that several "guides", have started using live-bait, simply because they cannot catch them using artificial baits.(C'mon, why else would they?).
Once it is deemed "acceptable" because the "guide" I fished with used it,it dominoes to the point that lots of "anglers" are fishing live-bait.
Same thing with the "strolling, long-lining" technique.
Once the public sees any high profile angler using a technique to catch a bass, they deem it acceptable, and suddenly the masses are using these techniques.
Again, I think the "strolling, long-lining" technique kills more fish (per caught fish) than any other method.
It is simply a glorified form of trolling.
My 8 year old grandson could catch fish doing this.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 02:10 AM

This will still allow some to claim at the end of the day, " I caught an 8 lber, but released her thinking I could catch a bigger one"

Is this the part of my proposal that has kept everybody quiet?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 02:29 AM

I partly agree with your ideas, but the biggest concern is over regulating anything with new laws. This gives some groups an opportunity to run with the ball and do not think for a minute there are not groups out there that want to ban all types of fishing for sport.

Enacting new laws isn't an answer, IMO...

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 02:46 AM

Upgraded, advanced conservation measures, due to current conditions. Not new laws.
Simply the same as restricting the harvest of Alligator Gar in the Trinity River during a flood stage.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 03:49 AM

Richard,
Just by way of constructive criticism:
I think you have stopped getting responses, because of a 'tone' issue. You have belittled ("SMDH", "I must be the only person", and others between the two forums). You have made up your mind. If you truly want a discussion, and not simply affirmation and agreement to your theories, you aren't setting that vibe. You have stated opinions as fact, and discount other's opinions as lesser to yours because of "History".

I believe there may be some techniques for giving Fork a rest. I am not someone who was able to fish it in it's hey-day. But it is still a gem in the state. We were hit HARD by a massive drought! There are too many natural explanations for a full blame on tournaments and guides.

I go back to my statement, a rest is a rest. If one group is affected, we would all be affected. I don't see the state doing that. As far as I can see over the last three weeks, even with the heavy pressure from the Sealy Tournament, the numbers of small ones are there! They are back in the creeks, and constantly schooling. In my totally unscientific opinion, see I have those too cheers, with the amount of bait they have to feed on they are less likely to really take lures.

)

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 03:52 AM

TPWD surly has someone on this issue. Sometimes change is good. Lake Fork Slot for largemouths bass is 16- to 24- I propose a Tournament daily bag limit of 3 fish, of which only 1 fish can be 24 inches or greater. I think the Big Boy tournaments like McDonald's, Legends, Berkley, Skeeter, Triton, and many more, Clubs, and yes even Working men tournaments on week days should give 10% back to TPWD Inland Fisheries offices to help organizations to create underwater structure for this reservoirs. And any big tourney on other lakes can follow through. Here is just one of the program that has been doing wonders for Lake Fork. TFFC is headquarters for the Toyota ShareLunker Program, which encourages anglers who have caught 13-pound-plus largemouth bass to lend or donate the fish to TPWD for spawning purposes.
You bet Men, Women, Children bring in thousands of dollar to the surrounding cities of Lake Fork year after year. I admit not the same from the pass, but again everything changes. Here is a survey by Texas Freshwater Fisheries,
The estimated 1.8 million anglers who fish Texas lakes and rivers each year have an annual economic impact of $1.49 billion. Texans spend more money on fishing than on any other outdoor activity. Fish stockings along with harvest regulations have been the primary techniques used by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department biologists to improve or maintain fishing quality. Hatcheries play a vital role in maintaining the quality of fishing in Texas. Fishing pressure on Texas fresh waters is tremendous.

Let's have a "Plant Some Grass Benefit" to benefit our kids & Grandkids future.

Just my thought, glad I started this post because there needs to be some sort of change. I will leave that up to the big boys. But your input is vital.

Fish-On
Donna

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 07:48 AM

It is a slippery slope with over regulation and asking government agencies to take more control over something we love. The whole thing is just kinda "blue state" to me. More rules, bigger government involvement and a tax on tournaments.

You call it conservation, I call it regulation. I think habitat and forage projects do a lot more good than more government regulation and rules around how people fish.

As a tournament fishermen, I hate fishing slot lakes, but I've done it. I would be less inclined to show up for a tournament on a lake that had even more irregular harvest rules. Most tournament organizations wouldn't even come if you imposed a 10% fee. Tournaments operate on extremely thin profit margins for the most part. Tournaments are also the driving force in the greater bass fishing economy.

The whole thing also seems to put more weight on what is best for the guides. They have just as much right to fish the lake as the guy who is soaking shiners or trolling and you want to kick that guy off the lake or tell him that he has to fish like we do. Those guys probably kill as many fish as some dude that comes down from Nebraska to fish with a guide and lets half of his fish digest his worm before he sets the hook.

I think your heart is in the right place, but I just don't agree with the strategy.

There are still a lot of fish in the lake and plenty of people catching them. Fork at 35 years old and with a lot of pressure is still better than 99% of the lakes in the country.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Richard,
I think you have stopped getting responses, because of a 'tone' issue. You have belittled ("SMDH", "I must be the only person", and others between the two forums). You have made up your mind. If you truly want a discussion, and not simply affirmation and agreement to your theories, you aren't setting that vibe. You have stated opinions as fact, and discount other's opinions as lesser to yours because of "History".

I believe there may be some techniques for giving Fork a rest. I am not someone who was able to fish it in it's hey-day. But it is still a gem in the state. We were hit HARD by a massive drought! There are too many natural explanations for a full blame on tournaments and guides.

I go back to my statement, a rest is a rest. If one group is affected, we would all be affected. I don't see the state doing that. As far as I can see over the last three weeks, even with the heavy pressure from the Sealy Tournament, the numbers of small ones are there! They are back in the creeks, and constantly schooling. In my totally unscientific opinion, see I have those too cheers, with the amount of bait they have to feed on they are less likely to really take lures.

)

Amen & Right On !!!!
Couldn't have said it better.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Richard,

)

Thanks, and I'm not very tactful when my passion takes over.
Surely those that frequent this forum can see that this is the most I've posted on any subject, as I find most threads outside my interest.
I was here during Fork's heyday, as a matter of fact, I was here long before.
I learned everything about catching bass from fishing Fork for 300 days a year from '83-'96, when I started fishing the BASS trail.
For the next 4 years, I was on the road 110 days a year, and still doing 160 guide trips a year.

Yes, I know we all have opinions, but some opinions are based on more experience and observation than others, even though that opinion might still be questionable to others that don't have the same experience.
I don't have any problem with someone questioning my opinion, as long as they contemplate the background that formed that opinion.
There's a lot of anglers, (and a lot of guides on Fork) that simply can't relate to what we've lost due to the fact that have no clue as to what we had.
I've said this before.
There are 210 or so Lakes in Texas.
There is only one Lake Fork, and Fork has completely re-written the record books in Texas.
I've always felt that something this special should be highly protected, even if it means over-regulating harvest, means, and methods.
A lot of fishing guides and just local fishers like to hang out at my archery shop and discuss the lake, and the one fear that has been discussed is that due to this boom in small fish, Everybody will target them, and rave about how many they caught, and develop the mindset that Fork is recovered, all the while not realizing how much damage they're doing to the little guys.
Thus, the "SMDH" comment.
Probably was a little harsh.
I guess if y'all like the way Fork is, and are willing to accept the future of the current course, this thread is meaningless.
I've voiced my opinion to bring awareness to certain issues that might help protect this resource .
I'm not a good 'people' person, and know I can be an [censored] when I'm passionate about something.
I apologize.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 12:19 PM

What Richard is trying to say is some techniques should be evaluated for our fisheries future. I for one am taking a stand by giving it a rest. I'm taking the bulk of my trips to other lakes unless my customers are dead set on fishing Fork. I hate to admit it but right now I simply can't produce the bass I want to to keep happy customers and as been already stated all this years offspring ( that we have a great stock of) is everywhere which is a good thing but who in their right mind wants to catch 6-10 inch bass? As Richard stated earlier these little bass are fragile let's give them yhe best chanc they can to grow and multiply. So much of what we're saying here is just shear common sense

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 12:30 PM

I am curious. Who are the guides that are using live bait? PM me if you do not want to post on the forum.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodney2100
I am curious. Who are the guides that are using live bait? PM me if you do not want to post on the forum.

I'm not gonna call any of them out due to the fact that several of them I consider friends.
They all know I dis-agree, but currently it is still legal.
Some don't hide it, and I respect them, but those that do hide it I don't.
You could get a list of the guides, contact them and express an interest in fishing live bait, and see how each guide responds.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 01:32 PM

The list of guides on Fork is very long. I do not have time to call all of them. I was just curious. Why would they be hiding it?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 02:24 PM

Texoma had a lot of these same concerns a few years ago. Texoma went from the #1 striper fishery in the country (1970's) to just another lake full of little fish, and back to a top striper fishery. They do gill net surveys and use these surveys to establish limits on both number and size of fish. There is no minimum length limit, daily bag limit is 10, and only one over 20", and no culling. I realize we are talking apples and oranges comparing Texoma to Fork, and stipers to bass, but this type of limit program worked to bring back Texoma to full glory with the stipers. Up until the flooding this year Texoma had returned to greatness. The guides were all booked and all of them were bringing in limits more times than not. The average angler could go out and catch fish. And large fish were being caught every day. Of course now things are different after the floods where they lost a detrimental amount of fish downstream.

My point is they adapted. The lake has always had tremendous fishing pressure. And they brought it back to greatness with help from Mother Nature. So sometimes change can be healthy and should always be looked at.

In the case of Fork maybe drastic change is needed to get Fork back. I don't know what the answer is, but change based on science always needs to be looked at. Maybe a 5 fish per day limit with only one over 18"? It is my opinion most bass anglers catch and release now days. They don't go to fork to keep 5 14" fish. So I wonder just how effective the slot is? Anyone can get a replica made these days so why not ban keeping a fish over 24" or so? Take pics, weigh it, measure it, and quickly get it back in the water. On all the major trout streams they have trophy only areas that are catch and release only and these programs have proven to be successful. Why wouldn't that work for Fork? 5 fish limit, one over 18" but none over 24". So in essence your slot is in place, it allows for nicer stringers for the tournaments, and it protects the lunkers.

I also feel the fishing pressure is out of control on Fork. There are too many tournaments. Limit the number of tournaments and maybe even look at limiting the size of the tournaments to so many per year. Force these big name tournaments to move to different lakes. Maybe have the McDonalds Tourney on Fork every 5 years and do the same with the others. Rotate them. If a tournament wants to come to Fork they should apply. Then a board of some kind can issue the permits so the number, and size of tourney's can be better managed with a new plan.

I've been a bass angler for 30+ years. Back in the 90's and early 2000's I caught the tournament bug and enjoyed many years of tournament fishing. I always avoided Fork because of two things: 1.the amount of pressure and 2. the number of clueless, classless, careless, and disrespectful fishermen that blitz that lake. Common rules of respect and laws of the lake are not followed on Fork where they mostly still are on other East Texas Lakes. Too many anglers skip the etiquette and have that "I'm more important than you and my boat is more expensive than yours" attitude. And my god if they are fishing a tournament and you are pleasure fishing you better just get out of their way because they are fishing in a tournament and they are more important than you. It has been my experience that most of these jack wagons are tournament fishermen. Guides seem to be more respectful. So maybe by limiting the number and size of tournaments these types of anglers on Fork would also be limited, and Fork could become a friendlier place to the weekend angler who otherwise avoids going there because of the pressure by the tremendous number of tournaments and the types that frequent these tournaments. (BIG CAN OF WORMS I KNOW).

My original point is I avoided Fork because of too much pressure. And with the pressure came a brand of anglers I didn't care to be around. I know I'm not alone on this. So I would support reducing the number of tournaments, especially the larger ones, and I would also support change in limits or slots as long as that change was based on science. Let's face it, the allure of catching a big lunker bass is what has always driven the attraction to Fork. Millions of anglers go there to hopefully catch a bass of a lifetime. But tournaments have taken it over and are running off the weekend anglers and vacationers. I would like to see it return its glory, but moving forward better manage the tournaments, and try to make it friendlier to the weekend anglers who provide more to the local economy than the tournaments do.

I'm not interested in justifying everything I just said. It is opinions I hope can be appreciated. So if you disagree I'm okay with that. Just don't expect me to go back and forth with you trying to defend of justify my opinions. I've enjoyed this topic and wanted to pitch in my 2cents

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Brooks Rogers
What Richard is trying to say is some techniques should be evaluated for our fisheries future. I for one am taking a stand by giving it a rest. I'm taking the bulk of my trips to other lakes unless my customers are dead set on fishing Fork. I hate to admit it but right now I simply can't produce the bass I want to to keep happy customers and as been already stated all this years offspring ( that we have a great stock of) is everywhere which is a good thing but who in their right mind wants to catch 6-10 inch bass? As Richard stated earlier these little bass are fragile let's give them yhe best chanc they can to grow and multiply. So much of what we're saying here is just shear common sense

This a very honest post. It seems there are very few guides who are consistently bringing in good sized fish. A lot of guides on here are targeting tournament anglers lately with "I'm catching some really good unders" posts. I definitely would not want to be a guide on that lake right now. It's fun to catch a lot of fish, even little ones sometimes. But not for $400+. I imagine 90% of the typical guide customers are going to Fork to catch the fish of a lifetime.... Not to catch a bunch of unders. Hopefully Mother Nature will run her course for the better and bring Fork somewhat close to what it once was. I'm afraid if hydrilla never grows again, that it'll never be the same.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 03:05 PM

There is some good hydrilla growing on Fork right now. Pretty, bright green stuff. That is not the sole answer, but part of a larger solution. Wonder why some of the best private trophy fisheries have grass carp and NO GRASS whatsoever?
Posted By: buda13

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 03:16 PM

There is some good hydrilla growing on Fork right now. Pretty, bright green stuff. That is not the sole answer, but part of a larger solution. Wonder why some of the best private trophy fisheries have grass carp and NO GRASS whatsoever?

I think they just don't like pulling grass and that mossy stuff off their baits. roflmao

I wish there was a fix that would restore Fork to the greatness of days gone by... I sure do love spending time on the ole gal.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 04:19 PM

because they don't have 3000 fishermen a day beating them up

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 04:50 PM

I don't own a business. I am not a member of the chamber of Commerce.

In the past Fork was pretty much a "spring" thrive and struggle the rest of the year. By pushing tournaments out of Lake Fork you will also be pushing the businesses away as well.

These days the tournaments are pretty well spread out throughout the whole fishing season from March through October. And there are a couple in the other months too.

I do not normally fish the opens or owners event. I do fish paper tournaments on a regular basis and also pre-fish for those events.

I do think that it is good for everyone to have their say but I agree with David Burton (another poster not afraid to say who he really is) that once you get to where you have more regulation you can also have to much as I stated in an earlier post.

Let nature do it's work.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 06:03 PM

For those interested here is an exacting research report done a number of years ago on Lake Fork and the resulting economic and fisheries impact. The report is 12 years old but I would think the numbers have only multiplied two or four fold, perhaps more.
http://csbt.tennessee.edu/pubs/pdf/LakeForkEIA.pdf
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 06:43 PM

Good reading here and for the most part, pretty civil which is more enjoyable to read. Nice job keeping this relatively classy. I for one have fished Fork once, with a guide, I was looking to add a DD to my 3 caught already, I wouldn't want to go to Fork to catch unders, I live too far away and the price is too high for a guide to put me on dinks.

The slot has obviously worked for Fork but with that being said, taking a different approach may be the way to go, specifically with the slot. If something has to change, the easiest to change is the length regulation.

Someone mentioned Stripers before so I'll add, using experience with Oceanic Stripers in the northeast, each state can change the length limit of Stripers depending on current relative factors, fish population for one. The limit would change depending on the year, from 28"-32" off the coast of Massachusetts, New Hampshire would be different and Maine would have a slot limit. Fish migration and population were taken into account.

I do think Fork needs an adjustment and maybe to get away from the slot due to the amount of fish population being higher in the number of younger/smaller fish. Eliminating the slot and instilling a minimum length to 18" (can only keep fish above 18") could help and putting a max length on the slot as well (maybe), I'm not sure what the length should be but it would change an anglers mindset in a tournament IMO and have them target different fish for a while, which would allow the smaller unders to not get sorelipped and have that chance of dying from being in a livewell all day. It gives them a better chance to get bigger.

I don't think limiting tournaments is the way to go, too many factors involved there, but if you increase the minimum length it may keep some of the yahoo's away trying to score big on little fish. Targeting and catching bigger fish is a skill all on it's own. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the grass growing back I do believe grass is very important for a good 'big bass' population, RIP Lake Austin.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 06:55 PM

Here we are.........a bunch of amateur fishermen talking about what would be good for Lake Fork and how we could bring it back to all it's glory of olden days.
Now, just stop and think rationally for one second.
Most of the post come from a perspective of tournament fishing and what has / has not been caught and what goes in the live well & weighed in at the end of the day.
Don't you think, since you have taken a second to think rationally, that if the TP&W and the scientist and all those professional, educated experts thought there was a real issue with lake Fork, they would step in and do something ?
I mean come on,,,,,,don't they pay someone smarter than us in this field to keep an eye on what is going on with lake Fork ?
This is not meant to blast anyone,,,,,,it is truly a real question and should be thought provoking.
Where are the experts on this issue ?
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 07:02 PM

The "experts" dumped excessive amounts of grass carp in Lake Austin decimating the lake...that was driven by money and politics...fisherman are not politicians, they can't influence a government entity with money.

Form a group and feed TP+W and local Authority money and they'll do what you want for the most part.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 07:04 PM

We have been consulting with the biologists for about a year. They are aware of the issues

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 08:36 PM

If the lake never bounces back, it'll be interesting to see how long the lore of Lake Fork continues to bring in people from all over the country. I really don't think it'll ever be what it once was. I think it'll always be a good lake, but being a great lake again is gonna be hard to accomplish. I've been on Lewisville and Fork about the same amount this year... And right now I'd rather go to Lewisville.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/01/15 11:31 PM

How many private fisheries are sizable? Most are a maximum of a couple hundred acres, if that. Aquatic vegetation is much harder to control in a small water body like that. Comparing a small private fishery to a 27,000 acre reservoir doesn't have much merit.

I'm not saying every fishery needs grass, there are some great trophy lakes that don't have grass, sure, but the majority of public lakes thrive when hydrilla is present.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 01:15 AM

How many private fisheries are sizable? Most are a maximum of a couple hundred acres, if that. Aquatic vegetation is much harder to control in a small water body like that. Comparing a small private fishery to a 27,000 acre reservoir doesn't have much merit.

I'm not saying every fishery needs grass, there are some great trophy lakes that don't have grass, sure, but the majority of public lakes thrive when hydrilla is present.

No doubt hydrilla contributes to better fishing, but it is an exotic, and has to occur (naturally).
Do we, as anglers, just accept the fact that fishing is gonna be poor due to lack of hydrilla, and make no adjustments, or do we adopt a plan to protect the rescource due to the lack of vegetation and the issues that arise from that lack of vegetation?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 01:49 AM

I am not opposed to changing the harvest regulations on Fork, but I think it should be based on data and science. I am against imposing harsher restrictions on certain types of fishermen because they don't fit the mold of what is deemed ok by locals. Limiting harvest or changing harvest regulations to improve a population is a successful tactic and has proven results, particularly in saltwater environments.

I am curious, what type of habitat projects are ongoing at Fork?

Limiting people's access is a little scary, IMO.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 02:00 AM

LFSA has planted willows and buckbrush.
TPWD has planted water willows.
Neither of these plants replace vegetation such as coontail, milfoil, or hydrilla, but it is a lot better than nothing.
I'm not proposing limited access, but I am advocating limited harvest while the lake is under duress.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 02:03 AM

Habitat projects: planting button bushes grown by a partnership between the Yantis HS and the Lake Fork Sportsman's Assoc and TPWD has been ongoing for about 4 years. I believe they have planted over 2000 bushes thus far and will be planting perhaps another 600-800 plants this fall.

Brush piles and structure. Once again the LFSA, TPWD and the WCCC are working to construct 40 large plastic structures to add to the 21 they built and "planted" last year. In addition TPWD has enhanced those locations with cement filled tubs with tall bamboo in them.

Brush piles. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that fishes for crappie puts out brush piles. They are everywhere.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 02:08 AM

Habitat projects: planting button bushes grown by a partnership between the Yantis HS and the Lake Fork Sportsman's Assoc and TPWD has been ongoing for about 4 years. I believe they have planted over 2000 bushes thus far and will be planting perhaps another 600-800 plants this fall.

Brush piles and structure. Once again the LFSA, TPWD and the WCCC are working to construct 40 large plastic structures to add to the 21 they built and "planted" last year. In addition TPWD has enhanced those locations with cement filled tubs with tall bamboo in them.

Brush piles. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that fishes for crappie puts out brush piles. They are everywhere.

No offense Bruce, but I am totally against plastic brushpiles.
In my mind, it is simply litter in the lake.
Plastic brushpiles might be a fish attractant, but it is still plastic, and litter.
Imagine a drained lake that is full of these plastic fish attractors.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 02:21 AM

the point that TPWD made when that same lake is drained all the wood will have rotted away but the "structure" will remain. you and I will not be here to see it however, but your grandchildren will.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 02:28 AM

the point that TPWD made when that same lake is drained all the wood will have rotted away but the "structure" will remain. you and I will not be here to see it however, but your grandchildren will.

With all due respect, A pile of plastic is litter, regardless of what generation will see it.
A plastic brushpile has no benefit to fry survival.
It is simply a fish attractant, made out of plastic.
Again, if the lake was drained, or simply never was, it would be litter.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 03:05 PM

We have been consulting with the biologists for about a year. They are aware of the issues

Richard - What are the biologists thoughts on this situation?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 03:23 PM

To guide on Lake Fork all you do is pay $132 a year for a guide's license? I would think the guides would be required to pay more of a fee for such a great place to work. Y'all are getting a bargain.

Not trying to stir anything up, but since it appears the older guides are the ones posting here blasting the tournament anglers and tournament trails for the demise of Lake Fork.

I have but one question, you have been using a tax payer funded resource to make a living for many years, for a very minimal usage fee, why didn't any or all of you worry about the depleted fish populations of Fork in the past?

Not trying to stir anything up, just curious ....
Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 03:39 PM

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell them to go to Rayburn, bro! Don't tell them about the huge sacks being caught over there right now!

Everyone just disregard his post and pretend you didn't hear it. Just disregard that 20#-24# sacks are often left outside the money cut in many tournies this year.

Stay at Fork!

LOL

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 05:11 PM

Man Please don't stir me back into this. The last time I surfaced I got hit by a Old jerk bait just because I catch a few good fish. When spring hits the lake will fish just fine and the old geezers wont wine so much.
Originally Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell them to go to Rayburn, bro! Don't tell them about the huge sacks being caught over there right now!

Everyone just disregard his post and pretend you didn't hear it. Just disregard that 20#-24# sacks are often left outside the money cut in many tournies this year.

Stay at Fork!

LOL

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 06:17 PM

Nobody appreciates the fact that I've been able to
Make a living fishing more than I do, and yes, we pay a very minimal fee to do so. I don't have to fish another day for money but that doesn't mean I can't still have concern for the lake. It saddens me to see Fork become 'just another lake'. This is why I've voiced my opinion. Is old geezers were fortunate to experience the glory days of fork, and can only hope y'all and future fishers get to experience something close. I'm kinda bummed that some don't appreciate us voicing our concern.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 07:27 PM

Make a living fishing more than I do, and yes, we pay a very minimal fee to do so. I don't have to fish another day for money but that doesn't mean I can't still have concern for the lake. It saddens me to see Fork become 'just another lake'. This is why I've voiced my opinion. Is old geezers were fortunate to experience the glory days of fork, and can only hope y'all and future fishers get to experience something close. I'm kinda bummed that some don't appreciate us voicing our concern.

Mr McCarty I respect your opinions and also the things you've accomplished in fishing throughout your life.

But, there is a tone in your posts that many others are "below" you. Maybe it's just me, but maybe not.

My first time on Fork was in 1982 I believe. I was 13 and I grew up fishing the lake so I remember and lived the "good ole days". When you could literally leave the ramp and catch fish. I had a bass buster and used to put it in and I cannot remember but a handful of days back then when i didn't go home with my hands bleeding.

Let's be realistic, lakes age and lose their ability to thrive after 25 years or so, it's a lot of what has happened to Fork. I don't think it's the tournaments, guides or any other thing man has done. It's just the way nature works. I think Fork still fishes pretty good considering her age and the pressure she gets.

One of the side effects of Fork opening was some of our smaller East Texas lakes got a chance to breathe again. It took a ton of pressure off of them.

Now the 64 thousand dollar question, can anything really be done to bring back Fork to say 70% of her glory?
I think sadly the answer is no, she will always be special and produce but not like she did from 86- mid 90's.

I will say I'm grateful to you and Mr Rodgers and others that are trying to explore options to try and nurse the ole girl back to some resemblance of her glory days.

Keep up the good fight!!

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 07:40 PM

You get a lot more bees with honey
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 08:04 PM

no lake lasts forever, especially when its been hammered as Fork has over the years by the masses and tournaments.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/02/15 11:48 PM

Mr McCarty I respect your opinions and also the things you've accomplished in fishing throughout your life.

But, there is a tone in your posts that many others are "below" you. Maybe it's just me, but maybe not.

My first time on Fork was in 1982 I believe. I was 13 and I grew up fishing the lake so I remember and lived the "good ole days". When you could literally leave the ramp and catch fish. I had a bass buster and used to put it in and I cannot remember but a handful of days back then when i didn't go home with my hands bleeding.

Let's be realistic, lakes age and lose their ability to thrive after 25 years or so, it's a lot of what has happened to Fork. I don't think it's the tournaments, guides or any other thing man has done. It's just the way nature works. I think Fork still fishes pretty good considering her age and the pressure she gets.

One of the side effects of Fork opening was some of our smaller East Texas lakes got a chance to breathe again. It took a ton of pressure off of them.

Now the 64 thousand dollar question, can anything really be done to bring back Fork to say 70% of her glory?
I think sadly the answer is no, she will always be special and produce but not like she did from 86- mid 90's.

I will say I'm grateful to you and Mr Rodgers and others that are trying to explore options to try and nurse the ole girl back to some resemblance of her glory days.

Keep up the good fight!!

I'm sorry my posts were interpreted as you say, as I did not have any intention to be arrogant.
If my posts offended anybody, I'm sorry.
Posted By: FDR80

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/03/15 12:05 AM

Give Fork 2 years of stable lake levels and grass and that would be a great start.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/03/15 05:19 PM

I agree with you Richard "WE" need to protect our resources. We just need to figure out a way without putting another Tax on us.

As far as the trash comment, just go and run the boat lanes during a major tournament and see the coke cans and plastic water bottles that get blown out of the boats. Try to stop and dip them up with a net and chances are you will be run over.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork - 10/03/15 07:22 PM

We need to cut back tournaments,and keep praying for the water level to stay close to normal.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum