Texas Fishing Forum

Flukes? How do you like to fish them?

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/14/15 11:59 PM

Maybe some of the pros can give us all a bit of advice on how they like to rig and fish a fluke. Maybe we can all learn something?

Personally I have found that rigging flukes on 1/4 oz chartreuse or white jigheads will actually produce a few fish, and can be fished like a small swimbait, or like a roadrunner.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:10 AM

Weightless
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:11 AM

Swimming fluke on a bladed jig is the only way I fish them. They have some really good action as a trailer.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:35 AM

I like Owner screw lock hooks 4/0. Weightless for shallow and 1/8 for deeper.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:52 AM

wacky
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:55 AM

Haven't found a wrong way to fish one.
My favorites are Crig and trig with a small worm weight.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:59 AM

Skip under docks in 3-5 feet of water. Pegged.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 01:12 AM

I like the Magnums on C-rigs and the super flukes on a EWG 3/0 hook.
Posted By: Falcon Native

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 01:16 AM

Crig
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 01:24 AM

Weightless on mono, and skip it across the top.
Scott Martin just posted a YouTube video this week of a double fluke rig. Looks pretty neat.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 01:26 AM

I like them on a scrounger jig head or weightless. The donkey rig has always interested me but I cant get them to act right.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 01:29 AM

Weightless with about a 12 inch leader tied to a swivel.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 02:29 AM

Weightless is the only way that I fish them.
Posted By: OnEm247

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 03:28 AM

Weightless and I like throwing 2 on a spinning rod, not favorite technique ever but it produces especially in ponds etc
Posted By: bassdoode

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 03:50 AM

weightless, usually add a little spike it to the tail and a drop of scent. 2-3 quick rod snaps and kill it, then repeat.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: bassdoode
weightless, usually add a little spike it to the tail and a drop of scent. 2-3 quick rod snaps and kill it, then repeat.

that's what made them famous. choose your hook size as weight depending on line size. 8# copolymer on a spinning outfit with a 2/0 offset hook worked as above is one of the best catching methods ive ever learned. heavy cover with casting gear produces the same action, just gotta beef up your line to around 15# and go with a 3-5/0 hook.
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 04:33 AM

The fluke is my favorite bait, I have probably caught more fish in the past 2 years on a fluke than anything else. I almost always fish them weightless on 17 lb. line with a 4/0 offset roundbend. With this set up, you can fish the bait multiple ways. Skimming it on top, dead sticking, twitch twitch pause, and working it aggressively under the surface. I will even fish the regular super fluke in deep water. Almost any way you can think to fish it, you will have success.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 04:38 AM

yep
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 10:23 AM

Belly weight, falls slow w flappin tail
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:41 PM

This what Rudy is talking about, the setup is the best rig for suspended fish there is. Trim some of the weight off put a fluke on and watch the fluke come alive. The hardest fish to learn how to catch are suspended fish, but once you learn how to catch them let the games begin. And this setup is the beat thing I have found except the A-Rig. Mustad doesn't make them any more but you can still find them around. Don't expect to put one on and the fish just rip the rod outta your hands, its like any other setup there's a learning curve on how and where to use it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:42 PM

Donkey rig with either a shad color or blue gill color as the proximal bait and a blue gill or a bass color as the distal bait. Sometimes I'll put a smaller fluke proximal and a larger fluke or other larger soft plastic distal.
This method adds a component of a competitive feeding scenario to attract bass strikes.

This is similar to putting a larger and different colored swimbait at the central, trailing bait on an Arig.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Donkey rig with either a shad color or blue gill color as the proximal bait and a blue gill or a bass color as the distal bait. Sometimes I'll put a smaller fluke proximal and a larger fluke or other larger soft plastic distal.
This method adds a component of a competitive feeding scenario to attract bass strikes.

This is similar to putting a larger and different colored swimbait at the central, trailing bait on an Arig.

^^^^^^^

Catches lots of fish on Donkey rigs. He knows what he speaks of.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 02:57 PM

The double Fluke rig has been around for a while now and still catches a lot of fish, for me I fish a Fluke with a 4/0 hook weightless.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 03:05 PM

Split shot rig
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
wacky

Haven't tried that. Interesting!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 04:53 PM

Like this..

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...ble_Fluk#UNREAD
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 05:33 PM

Idk if there is a name for it but I usually hook Texas style on a 4/0 and put a 1/16 split shot about a foot up. Run it on spinning gear and use a twitch twitch pause motion.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 05:56 PM

Weightless or with a nail weight.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 07:01 PM

Anyone know were to get those light belly weight hooks I think owner made some haven't seen them in a few years
Posted By: Rhino Ranger

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/15/15 08:36 PM

Gamagatsu
Posted By: Bassslayerr

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/16/15 05:14 AM

It depends on the time of the year.
SPRING I do everything with them, but my favorite it to fish them fast and erratically. I caught my 8.5lb pb when I threw one out and let it sink all the way down in 6ft of water and then when I went to twitch it to start my retrieve my line took off to the side.
SUMMER fish with long pauses (twitch twitch wait 3 seconds repeat)
FALL fish with steady twitches and let the lure glide to the side.(twitch pause 1 second twitch pause 1 second repeat)
WINTER. JUST WAIT TILL LATE FEBUARY AND FISH FAST AND ERATLICALLY, AFTER LETTING YOUR LURE SINK ALL THE WAY IN THE INITIAL CAST
Posted By: D Thomas

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/16/15 05:24 AM

Split shot rig dragged through grass can be really good.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/16/15 12:45 PM

If you haven't tried them on a shaky head your missing some bites. Works great hopping them down rock ledges or just dragging them. Both swim flukes and standard work great on A-rigs as well. I've fished them almost any technique you would use other plastics for and even as a jig or spinner bait trailer. I've pulled the skirt off spinner baits and threaded on a fluke or swim fluke. One of the most versatile baits you can get and will catch quality fish most of the time.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Flukes? How do you like to fish them? - 09/16/15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassslayerr
It depends on the time of the year.
SPRING I do everything with them, but my favorite it to fish them fast and erratically. I caught my 8.5lb pb when I threw one out and let it sink all the way down in 6ft of water and then when I went to twitch it to start my retrieve my line took off to the side.
SUMMER fish with long pauses (twitch twitch wait 3 seconds repeat)
FALL fish with steady twitches and let the lure glide to the side.(twitch pause 1 second twitch pause 1 second repeat)
WINTER. JUST WAIT TILL LATE FEBUARY AND FISH FAST AND ERATLICALLY, AFTER LETTING YOUR LURE SINK ALL THE WAY IN THE INITIAL CAST

Agree, at different times, the bass will want it presented differently.

In general, I've had some success with the following:
Prespawn--slowly, slowly retrieved close to the bottom
Spawn--drop shot fluke around the beds
Postspawn--twitch, twitch pause
Summer--this is the most variable time: For suspended/mid depths, bladed jig/scrounger/darter head: sometimes, particularly in the early morning, they want it burned fast and then killed; fast fast let it fall: drop shot deep
Early Fall--twitch, twitch pause
Late Fall/Winter--deadsticking
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum