Texas Fishing Forum

The Mother

Posted By: Big Kev

The Mother - 09/14/15 05:43 PM

OK so I ordered a Roman Made Mother last night. Before you say anything I already know I have a problem. My wife is now making me go to AA (anglers anonymous) meetings. Apparently they have several chapters based on subject matter and the one I will be attending pertains to lure purchasing, not sure it will help. My question is has any one ever used this lure or had any success with it? I plan on taking the throw it until I catch something approach. Plus I will keep my scuba gear handy in the boat when this lure is on board.
P.S. If you hear a horrible scream on Lake Fork it is probably me loosing this lure.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: The Mother - 09/14/15 09:34 PM

Wow, that's an expensive lure dude. Good luck! Haha
Posted By: aquaholic1822

Re: The Mother - 09/14/15 10:30 PM

wow...
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: The Mother - 09/14/15 10:58 PM

Very popular lures among a certain demographic

You should rent it out for $20 a day.

$400 security deposit
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: The Mother - 09/14/15 11:06 PM

Seems like a sound financial decision.
Posted By: GROD

Re: The Mother - 09/14/15 11:29 PM

I wouldn't throw it in water any deeper than 5ft to make sure I got it back when hung up!
Posted By: jafish

Re: The Mother - 09/14/15 11:52 PM

It takes a real man to throw that all day. Good luck to you. Your my new hero.

( HERO ) ....... a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities
Posted By: MidloMan

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 02:46 AM

120 pound test line and you should be good!
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 02:57 AM

439.99$......
Posted By: senko9S

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 03:00 AM

its a true trophy hunter if worked correctly.
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 03:33 AM

Wow, is there insurance for those?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 04:10 AM

From their testimonials page:

Basseast.com

An independent organization dedicated to bringing you the latest in tournament results, fishing techniques, regional angler profiles, tips from the pros, and the latest news and events regarding the next generation of bass fishing.

The Trick-Lipless has unique swim motion! Throwing big swimbaits requires concentration and discipline. We really didn’t expect to catch any fish during testing. However, during the 4 hr. session the Trick was slammed twice, swiped at once and followed once by an 8 pounder…until it saw the boat (now that was fun). By days end, BassEast had bragging rights to a 3 pounder who faced off the Trick’s hooks. As the west coast swimbait sticks say “dude…that’s…sic…!”

That was only $146/lb fish. I'll stick to my $4 bag of worms.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 04:26 AM

obviously you have never trophy hunted high teens in Cali... fish
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 01:02 PM

Nice. Post fishing results. I showed them to family right before Christmas hoping they would go together and get me one ..Did not work.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 01:26 PM

I hope you have the patience and know how to fish that thing. . .or it's going to be a massive waste of money. That is NOT a lure that does all the work for you. . .
Posted By: James Weir

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Kev
P.S. If you hear a horrible scream on Lake Fork it is probably me loosing this lure.
LMAO - That's hilarious!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: The Mother - 09/15/15 05:50 PM

Gan craft
Posted By: T54

Re: The Mother - 09/16/15 12:00 AM

I would make sure you have the right setup to throw it.

400 sized round reel like a Calcutta and 30lb mono. There isn't a single swimbait rod on TW that is rated to throw a 10 1/2 oz bait so you will have to go custom or with a Muskie rod.

My buddy bought one, fished it for about 2 months, didn't catch anything and then casted it off.

Edit: I just saw the Daiwa DX and Okuma Guide Select both have XXH rods that are rated to throw a bait that big, but I would have tough time throwing a $400 bait on a $125 rod.
Posted By: mikey6345

Re: The Mother - 09/16/15 01:14 AM

Holy [censored]! $440 for a bass lure. I need to go into the high end lure making biz. None of this $10.99 stuff.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: The Mother - 09/16/15 03:08 AM

It appears to me that you are an art collector and a bass fishermen... think duck hunters and decoys.. some decoys go for thousands $$$ but never hit the water..
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: The Mother - 09/16/15 03:54 AM

WOW...that thing looks like some of the lures I drag out in the Gulf for wahoo!!!! Might have to take some of my offshore lures to freshwater...maybe troll some Marlin Magics over the grass beds. nuts
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: The Mother - 09/16/15 04:02 AM

Make sure you take pictures of it on your line before you cast it because it might be the last time you use it! What with the way vegetation is in Texas and all that.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: The Mother - 09/16/15 04:24 AM

Bring scuba gear for when you get it hung up.
Posted By: BigTex9

Re: The Mother - 09/17/15 01:21 PM

Kev, enjoy the confidence of knowing you are throwing a bait that the fish don't ever see, even in the most pressured waters. Fish that won't hit a jig, senko, or chatterbait will smack that swimbait. Stick with it and I bet you catch a giant!
Posted By: Big Kev

Re: The Mother - 09/17/15 03:46 PM

Thank you BigTex. That was the driving force in deciding to spend that kind of money on a lure, after 4 months of wrestling over the idea. At the moment 1970 people have viewed this post and only one person knows some one who has used this lure. Which tells me I am the only moron...... I mean angler out of 1970 people who will be throwing it, did not take into account double reading but what ever. I also bought a rod that should work, the Megabass Orochi 8' Leviathan. It is rated for up to 8oz lures and will be throwing it on a lews BB1 5:1 (will probably upgrade later but I think I have spent enough for now) with 25lb TATSU double structure fluorocarbon. I know I probably need to use 30lb mono but I just cant seem to allow my self to use mono because in my mind fish can see it. Granted I used mono for 20 years before switching but I only switched because I noticed a significant difference in number of bights and hook up ratios after getting me ars handed to me in a friends boat, he had fluoro.
Thanks to every one who responded I got a kick out of all the posts.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: The Mother - 09/17/15 04:23 PM

Never thrown a Roman Made but have thrown a Deps 250. You will definitely want to carry a lure retriever for when you get hung up. If you've never thrown a glide bait, you might want to learn with a smaller, cheaper one like the S-waver.
Posted By: str1249

Re: The Mother - 09/17/15 07:16 PM

I'd re-tie after every cast!
Posted By: T54

Re: The Mother - 09/18/15 01:04 AM

Thank you BigTex. That was the driving force in deciding to spend that kind of money on a lure, after 4 months of wrestling over the idea. At the moment 1970 people have viewed this post and only one person knows some one who has used this lure. Which tells me I am the only moron...... I mean angler out of 1970 people who will be throwing it, did not take into account double reading but what ever. I also bought a rod that should work, the Megabass Orochi 8' Leviathan. It is rated for up to 8oz lures and will be throwing it on a lews BB1 5:1 (will probably upgrade later but I think I have spent enough for now) with 25lb TATSU double structure fluorocarbon. I know I probably need to use 30lb mono but I just cant seem to allow my self to use mono because in my mind fish can see it. Granted I used mono for 20 years before switching but I only switched because I noticed a significant difference in number of bights and hook up ratios after getting me ars handed to me in a friends boat, he had fluoro.

That's a little reel for such a big bait. I would seriously consider a bigger reel, at least a 300 size. It will make fishing it a lot more enjoyable. Also, big baits like that will wear out the smaller size reels gears very quickly.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: The Mother - 09/18/15 01:19 AM

I envy you, I want one, just can't justify it. I hope you catch monsters with it and post pics!
Posted By: ForkFishingFan

Re: The Mother - 09/18/15 02:22 PM

Go Big or Go Home! Best of luck to you.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: The Mother - 09/18/15 02:50 PM

I know what you mean with the addiction thing..... I have a walk in closet full of this "ADDICTION".........
Posted By: Swimbaitbasser

Re: The Mother - 09/19/15 12:43 AM

Dobyns 908c will throw that monster if you decide you need a different rod non custom. I have thrown the Rago 13 inch tool, 10 inch tool, 11 inch glideater, Deps 250ss all with no problems. You just have to trust the rod and have a strong thumb. I highly suggest a round Shimano conquest 400 and some 30lb mono for those mega baits and retie often.

Keep up the right mind frame and put in the time and you will catch a big fish possibly a fish of a life time (teener) especially if your throwing it in a lake that is known to have bigguns it really is that simple. You live in bass mecca.

You can guarantee very few other fisherman are throwing such a bait in TX and even though most people will think you are stupid for buying the Mother the proof is out there that the Mother will produce some huge f___ing fish. A large amount of anglers have no interest in fishing the way you must with true big baits and they don't have the dedication to eat all that skunk that comes along when your trophy hunting. The Mother is trophy hunting tool pure and simple.

I think if you put in the time you'll soon enough have a big ol grin on your face with that trick jap bait hanging off a slob fishes mouth. Disregard what people say and do your own experiment and fish something that pretty much nobody is doing. I'm pretty sure the Big Bass Dreams representative took a trip out from Cali forn I A to Lake Austin and was putting biggns in the boat with large swimbaits. So it can be done.

Also a big positive with those big glide baits is they do seem to get the fish to show themselves in the form of a follower.

Good luck and take care.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: The Mother - 09/19/15 01:53 AM

Oh don't worry, the real kick will be the one where you are kicking yourself in the azz for buying that thing! But good luck and I hope you do catch a fish on it before you break it off trying to cast it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum