Texas Fishing Forum

Bad flurocarbon or what

Posted By: daniel75633

Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/13/15 07:58 PM

I recently purchased a spool of Seaguar red label flurocarbon 12lb test, put it on my Quantum MG with a 7'6" MH rod, first couple of cast were great then i started getting horrible line memory and backslashes, just wondering if I got a bad spool or what
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/13/15 09:01 PM

Did you put it on right? You have to make sure it goes on the reel the same direction as it comes off the spool. If you get it backwards it can cause problems.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/13/15 09:16 PM

spool it out behind your boat as you are moving and then rewind it back on. Just spool the bare line no lure.That will usually take care of those kind of problems.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/13/15 10:01 PM

Line conditioner is your friend
Posted By: OnEm247

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/13/15 10:01 PM

Could be just a bad spool but more than likely what's been said above, really important to make sure the line comes off the top of the new spool.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/13/15 11:44 PM

Aaron Martens has the best way to remember this:

For a spinning reel, the line comes off the line spool from the bottom; for a baitcaster, off the top. I know many wind it on from the side but just make sure it "would" be off the top or bottom if it was standing up.

Spinning reels take "softball" underhanded pitches; baitcaster reels take "fastball" overhanded pitches.

Still, the other things like letting in unwind behind the boat and conditioners are great ideas, but get the line on correctly so the bias is the same.

Brad
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/14/15 12:40 AM

After re spooling it. Be sure to hook it on something and stretch hell out of it. In fact just do that and its fixed...
Posted By: daniel75633

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/14/15 01:05 AM

Thanks for the info, been fishing a long time and never knew that
Posted By: OIF3

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/14/15 01:46 AM

or just go with braid
Posted By: OnEm247

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/14/15 01:57 AM

I learned from watching Aaron Martens explain it too, after learning the hard way that something was not right. After a bunch of wasted fluoro/expensive learning curve 4sure
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/14/15 01:58 AM

Also on a spinning reel flip the bail back by hand rather than reeling it. Cuts the twist down.
Posted By: Bassslayerr

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/16/15 05:24 AM

Well I used to use the red label but I upgraded to the blue. One thing that helped me is not to fill the spool all the way up. Under fill it just a little (about 5mm under)and that should really help.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Bad flurocarbon or what - 09/16/15 10:28 AM

Tackle Tour has that nice statistical review of various line types, runs them through tests of all sorts. One thing that even caught these pros off guard was the surprising fact that fluorocarbon stretches almost as much as monofilament. But, there is a caveat: Once it is stretched, it doesn't retract or return to its previous state like mono (which acts more like a rubber band).

This makes me think that the post above recommending a good stretch is likely a good idea, not overdoing it . . . but going ahead and prepping the line for how it is going to be after it gets snagged or a big fish jumps on board. Take that stretch out of it ahead of time.

My thinking here is that since we all know fluorocarbon transmits more "feel" from the terminal tackle end than mono (less than braid), that getting rid of the stretch (making it less like mono) is the thing to do.

My favorite combo for a spinning reel for most finesse presentations? A braid main line attached to a mono backer to prevent any possible slippage, then a fluorocarbon leader just long enough to stay off the reel.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum