Texas Fishing Forum

Dobyns or Duckett?

Posted By: TanHner36

Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 02:50 AM

I'm looking to update some of my rods and everyone on here seems to really like Dobyns and Duckett but I've never fished with either of them. Most of my rods are Abu Garcia Vendetta or Veritas and while I like them I feel like there are quite a few rods that are better. Would love G. Loomis rods but they are a bit out of my price range.

What makes Dobyns and Duckett such great rods? Any other good rod suggestions?
Posted By: OnEm247

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:24 AM

I do not own dobyns only because at the moment I cannot afford xx combos at 500 a pop but dobyns champ series and duckett shouldn't even be used in the same sentence, but that's just my humble opinion. That I also happen to believe is more like fact. Go with the champ and don't look back!
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:49 AM

Wouldn't even compare the two. Dobyns all the way
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: lodell23
Wouldn't even compare the two. Dobyns all the way
champ or champ extreme all my old gear got stolen and this is what I buy now. Love em
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 04:14 AM

No comparison. I bought a couple of micro magics and a couple of Dobyns a year or so ago. I've since purchased quite a few more Dobyns (probably too many), and only use the Ducketts for things like topwater and spinner baits. For anything where I like any sensitivity whatsoever, the Ducketts just don't do it for me--moving baits and reaction type presentations only.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 04:23 AM

Dobyns by a LOT.
Posted By: bassdoode

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 04:43 AM

i've had some of both. IMO ducketts seem very inconsistent. Sometimes you'll get a great rod and other times setting a hook on a 1 pound fish will snap it in two different places. Dobyns are very good rods, built very well. The effort put into their rods shines. very very sensitive rods. and yes, I am affiliated with dobyns but i'm not going to tell anyone what they have to buy, alot of guys shove their sponsors products down others throats and call it "promoting". everyone is different, and have their own opinions and preferences. I would recommend going fishing with some buddies that own both and try them out! see which suits you best.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 05:04 AM

I like my ducketts.
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 06:24 AM

I HAD a white ice ducket. When it broke on a a hook set 3 months later. I replaced it with a dobyns. Both were rods I've never used before. I like the dobyns way way better and will be buying more dobyns
Posted By: J-BURN

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 11:52 AM

Got them both, Dobyns for sure.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 02:25 PM

Not Duckett!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 02:25 PM

I have both as well, kinda apples and oranges and it depends which price point your looking at, both companies have three grades of rods from affordable to top-end. As far as both companies top end rods, dobyns make the superior product of the two but its much much more expensive, for what your getting for the $$$ its hard to beat duckett IMO.
Posted By: Blayne Wallace

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 02:28 PM

Dobyns' warranty is what was the biggest deciding factor for me. That and the sensitivity is hard to beat.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:27 PM

My ducketts are [censored]. The guides always have issues. I've warranties a couple now. I'll be switching back to flacon. I don't think in an afford dobyns
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Blayne Wallace
Dobyns' warranty is what was the biggest deciding factor for me.
It was for me too when I bought them, and it is now again (in the opposite direction) since I've found out the warranty isn't all it's cracked up to be. They can change the $ for the replacement fee anytime they want, start charging for shipping, and let dealers opt out of providing warranty service without any consequence. I have savvy, champion, and champion extreme Dobyns and have also used Duckett rods (never owned one). IMHO, The Duckett is better than savvy and not as good as champion or champ extreme series Dobyns. But it's cheaper than both, and the value that Dobyns used to offer before their warranty changes has been greatly minimized. So my vote would go to the Duckett out of these two. Although if you want the best rod $ can buy for less than $400, the Dobyns champ extreme are unbeatable.

Also, Dobyns has a problem with their guides that has cost me some big fish. Until they get that sorted out, I won't buy any more. I've got 3 Dobyns and had half a dozen guides replaced, and I don't fish them hard at all (probably don't fish more than 20-25 days a year tops). I've got Berkley lightning rods, $40 Shimano rods, St. Croix, etc. that all have much more time on the water and have never had a guide replaced. I'm not sure why I've had so many problems with guides on the Dobyns rods, but I lost the biggest fish I ever had hooked because a broken guide cut the line and it's just tough to have faith in the rod after that (this was the champ extreme 745). It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you spend $300+ on a rod and don't trust it.

All that being said, if you do decide to buy Dobyns, don't buy them from oak ridge at fork. You're from Houston, so that's probably not a factor. But it's worth saying.
Posted By: Sschofield

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:51 PM

I would go with Dobyns, way more variety, or falcon!
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 03:54 PM

I have several Doby s rods, but never fished with the Ducketts. I DO LOVE the Dobyns and when I buy more, it will be Dobyns. Lightweight and very sensitive and with a lot of backbone for what you are buying. Love them. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 04:26 PM

I would buy a G.Loomis IMX over the Dobyns DX. I have several Dobyns Extreme rods my favorite being the DX784ML. But for most applications I prefer the Loomis IMX as they are less money and better made than the Dobyns. The exception would be the cranking rods, as I prefer the Dobyns over the G.Loomis.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 08:10 PM

I would say Dobyns by a long shot.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 08:31 PM

I have about 20 ducketts between me and my son and all models ghost to white ice and they have all been great rods...just my 2 cents!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 08:41 PM

Ya, kind of like asking "Mercedes or Kia"? That being said the Kia isn't bad especially if it's in your budget. If price is not a problem: Dobyns!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 09:25 PM

Kistler
Posted By: RngrMac

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/10/15 11:25 PM

Dobyns .... don't even question it
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/11/15 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Kistler

That's not a choice! But since you wanted to put your worthless 2 cents in. I fished dobyns for years and got all my buddies loyal to them. Kistler is the rod I would choose hands down. More sensitive and the guides don't cut out. I do however love the 805cbrm. If it comes to feel its kistler.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/11/15 01:26 AM

Kistler LTA's and the Dobyns Extremes are my favorite rods. Both are very sensitive. Next would be my Powell Max and Endurance rods. Very good rods for the price.
My Duckett rods are their crank bait rods (7-6 and the 7-11) so I can't say just how the sensitivity compares to the others. The Dobyns 805 cranking rod is way better than the Duckett 7-11 for throwing deep diving crank baits.
Posted By: T54

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/11/15 01:42 AM

What is your budget?

Since you said that GLoomis is our of your price range, I am assuming that means that Dobyns Savvy, Champion and Champion Extreme, as well as the Duckett White Ice and Micro Magic are also out since those models are priced near or higher than a GLoomis E6X

So essentially you are shopping between a Dobyns Fury and Duckett Ghost?
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Dobyns or Duckett? - 09/11/15 03:19 AM

Go with the dobyns.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum