Texas Fishing Forum

Pro's Boat

Posted By: West Texas FX

Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 12:18 AM

What are the pro' & con's of purchasing a Pro's or Guides boat?
Posted By: YAMADOGGY

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 12:29 AM

one pro. they make a living or try to out of it so should be well serviced and maintained, butttttt that would depend on the individual, they should have service records.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 12:34 AM

Pro-You can get them completely rigged out at a discounted price.
Con-some run them harder then others and just don't care
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 12:45 AM

Have you seen the things they do to their boats???

No way I would knowingly buy one from a guide or pro!!!

They know they will not own them for very long and sometimes they do things to get to fish that I wouldn't do because I am not that mad at the fish.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 12:50 AM

Depends on the pro, his support staff (or lack of) and number of hours at sale.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 01:02 AM

Pro
Like new fully rigged top of line bass boat
Full warranty (from in-service date)
Most 'bugs' gone
$25k less than new
Should you ever need major service...

Con
Warranty began on 'in-service' date
A few rattles and clinks caused by the previous owner
You'll want to replace the trolling motor w/in yr 1.
REMOVING AND CLEANING RESIDUE from the wrap.
Posted By: West Texas FX

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 01:05 AM

What are reasonable hours?
Posted By: MV

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 01:45 AM

some pros boats you can pick your own color with a deposit before they buy. they wrap it anyway
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: West Texas FX
What are reasonable hours?

I would say you could get a one year old boat from some of the pros or pro staffers with less than 150 hours on it, if it were more than that then i would be looking elsewhere or looking for a even more discounted price, the boat i bought from a pro last year was hard loaded and had 130 hours on it, I saved over 20K on it.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 02:31 AM

I've purchased a couple of pro's boats and had no major issues.

Biggest Con; Lots of cold starts to 6000 RPM in 5 seconds.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 11:10 AM

My father purchased a triton TR21 years ago from Barber Boat on Harry Hines, He always had problems with-it first two years stay in the shop. lower unit replace, gas filter, tilt and trim and etc. had problems from the he day he pass always. it was a tournament boat. I will never buy one that just me.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 12:44 PM

Make them take the wrap off! That stuff leaves some nasty [censored] behind and takes ton of elbow grease. Also, any carpet decals will leave some stuff behind too. If the hours are reasonable I wouldn't be afraid.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT
My father purchased a triton TR21 years ago from Barber Boat on Harry Hines, He always had problems with-it first two years stay in the shop. lower unit replace, gas filter, tilt and trim and etc. had problems from the he day he pass always. it was a tournament boat. I will never buy one that just me.
Sounds like a motor problem not a boat problem, ive heard of people having the same problems with a new one.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 01:47 PM

Pro, pro staff, tournament boats. Its all on the owner. Getting a good deal with warranty is the key.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 02:33 PM

Id say it depends on the level the boat was used at and who owned it. most of the touring pros are pretty hard on their boats. There are a lot of local guys with pretty good deals that allow them to sell a comparable boat for not much more money and the local guys are usually good about keeping their boats well maintained and not scratched because they know they have to sell them at the end of the year. I would recommend buying a local pro staff boat over a touring boat most of the time. IMO
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 03:09 PM

wouldn't touch it with a 15ft. talon pole... roflmao
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 03:14 PM

Last year I purchased an FLW boat. Full factory warranty and motor warranty on the day I purchased the boat.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 03:34 PM

At the end of a year a pros boat will not have any "problems". If you make a living with a boat, you have to depend on it. Sure they might have been ran hard, but you have full warranties. Now that hardly anyone received a free boat, they are responsible for selling them has increased the maintenance. Sure all boats are open to having problems. They are boats. But I would not hesitate at the right price. Buy what you want.
Posted By: Dax Davis

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 03:59 PM

Guys most of the pro boats go back to the factory and are gone through and checked out and if anything needs fixed they fix it at least the ones I know are done that way! there is no problem buying a pros boat it's just like buying anything used!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 04:04 PM

don't forget the trailers,..could have many, many miles...
Posted By: Big Worm78

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
At the end of a year a pros boat will not have any "problems". If you make a living with a boat, you have to depend on it. Sure they might have been ran hard, but you have full warranties. Now that hardly anyone received a free boat, they are responsible for selling them has increased the maintenance. Sure all boats are open to having problems. They are boats. But I would not hesitate at the right price. Buy what you want.
Well put. Have personally seen 5 boats come and go over 7 years that were "pro" boats. No major problems. Have even bought ones with new power heads and lower units on them. Hell it's a new motor then, still under warranty. If anyone is scared to buy one of these boats then don't. 25-30k more will get you a brand new one. Most are a "deal" when you are talking about buying these boats. Not to mention they are set up with the best equipment and are set up to fish.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 04:33 PM

This is your boat:

This is your boat with a pro in it:

ANY QUESTIONS?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/10/15 04:43 PM

Yeah cause every one of those boats in the pictures were sold after the damages. Got it. roflmao

My actual experience was buying a former Elite Series boat through Fouz. All I know is it looked and ran like brand new. One of the best boats I have owned. Not a single issue and no way anyone could tell it had been ran on tour at all. Low hours too.
Just this spring I bought a new to me motor for my current boat from an Elite pro. Hours were a bit higher but so far its been nothing short of a good motor. Great deal on both purchases and would do either again.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 02:27 AM

My experience in buying a guides boat was the same as Mark Perry's, yes I would do it again.
Great deal on a fully loaded rig.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 02:55 AM

I won't name who but I could buy an elites 520 ranger fully loaded, redone from the factory for 52 every year if I wanted it. That's a steal of a deal in my opinion. Especially factoring in the PP's, the 4 12" graphs. Why would people not buy one.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 04:20 PM

I rode in Kevin Shorts boat at a Open 2 years ago. We went flat out for 62 miles one way and 62 miles back. I dont think its the hours you need to worry about. Its that they have been run wide open throttle the vast majority of those hours. Having seen that I would never buy one from a pro.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 04:34 PM

It's best to run outboards WOT.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 04:45 PM

Pros boat that has been well maintained or a weekend warriors boat that only goes to the shop when it breaks down. No contest. I will take the pros boat every time.
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 04:46 PM

Why wouldn't you run WOT unless you're going through a mine field?
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 05:37 PM

Too many people try to apply there car engine knowledge to boat engines... It not not an exact match. But then they don't care about hours on an car\truck engine just miles.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Pro's Boat - 09/11/15 07:10 PM

I won't do it again. Way too many issues. Some covered under warranty and some not.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum