Texas Fishing Forum

Livewells were nasty

Posted By: Kay Dyson

Livewells were nasty - 09/08/15 10:33 PM

I had a well that wouldn't drain so I was investigating the problem, in the process I couldn't believe just how nasty my livewells had gotten. I use a SureLife product and Hydrogen Peroxide when the weather (Heat) calls for it like many others do. Obviosly it had created a thick mildewy type coating all over both tanks, come to find out it's very UN healthy for the fish being held in there, sometimes for extended periods..
You can power wash them like I did, or go to the car wash and hose them down good. Mine look like new again thumb I also blew the drain hole out to find a 4" swimbait clogging the drain line laying on the ground, I guess one of my fish had spit it up and I never saw it before opening the drain...
Just an FYI, on helping keep our fish and livewells in good shape.. cheers
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Livewells were nasty - 09/08/15 11:02 PM

thumb
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Livewells were nasty - 09/08/15 11:12 PM

Lol was it one of your baits?
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: Livewells were nasty - 09/08/15 11:30 PM

The toilet augger they sell at Home Depot with the spring on the end works well too. They make one that is PVC safe and small in diameter.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Livewells were nasty - 09/09/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
Lol was it one of your baits?

LOL.. Actually no, it wasn't.. I've had perch or shad in there before from other fish, but never an artificial bait that big...
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Livewells were nasty - 09/09/15 05:15 PM

Everything I've read on the net about how to clean a live well says that clorine is ok, and that it evaporates.
I actually tried it on a minnow bucket we keep here at the house and it cleans and gets rid of the smell.
There's some good videos out there..
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Livewells were nasty - 09/09/15 05:17 PM

Chlorine only evaporates from the sun, it'll hang around and stick if it doesn't see the light, I wouldn't put chlorine in my livewells that hardly see sun and it getting in drains and stuff it'll eventually break down and go away but takes awhile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum