Texas Fishing Forum

just asking

Posted By: Reddy310

just asking - 08/31/15 07:02 PM

Which one is more important to have on your depth finder a map chip for your GPS or down imaging
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: just asking - 08/31/15 07:16 PM

i would choose down imaging
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: just asking - 08/31/15 07:17 PM

IMO, Map chips are way more important than Down Imaging. I use the 2D sonar way more than I have ever used the Down Imaging anyway. Map Chips are a neutralizer that eliminates the learning curve and makes up for lots of time on the water. A lot of tour guys are now adding extra conflicting electronics brands onto their consoles for the sole purpose of having every available digital map at their finger tips. If all you did were fish the same lakes constantly and weren't concerned with getting better and finding new places to fish then I could see where someone might think DI would be more important. I know Sam Rayburn pretty darn well and still use my map chips in conjunction with Side Imaging to find new fishing spots as well as schools of fish every day.
Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Re: just asking - 08/31/15 07:17 PM

Down imaging any day most of the time I know where I'm fishing anyways just need help finding the drops and humps an brush piles.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: just asking - 08/31/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Reddy310
Which one is more important to have on your depth finder a map chip for your GPS or down imaging

Both are important.... Which is MORE important? I guess a good map. But I'd sure hate to give up down imaging.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: just asking - 08/31/15 08:10 PM

My opinion only: The map is more important to me. Especially on a new lake in the dark. I use SI plenty of the time, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without a map chip. I have one up front and one on the bow.

I use DI very little, but use SI a lot.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: just asking - 08/31/15 08:52 PM

Put this way, go out in the middle of Sam rayburn. Now idle around without a map and find all those underwater points and drains. Now switch to a map and 2d, you will find them a LOT faster. I found plenty of brush piles and fish with 2d and a map.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum