Texas Fishing Forum

Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat.

Posted By: slim 285

Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 02:16 PM

I have heard of a place around Lake Fork. But can't rememeber who .
Posted By: FACSR

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 02:25 PM

Texas Boat World in Killeen Tx, ask for Josh Bingham
Posted By: SilverTR20

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 02:51 PM

Service Marine did mine. On 515 close to 69. 903-473-3909. They do good work at a fair price.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 03:05 PM

I have never had one straightened like this. Will they bend again easily after you have it straightened?
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 04:02 PM

Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JPeel
why would you want it straightened "while on the boat" still?

Since straightening may involve beating on the blade, with the entire prop resting on a mandrel or block designed to fit the blade pitch, I don't think a repair shop would do it "on the boat". Straightening doesn't make them bend easily again.

Here's who to use
http://www.stevescustomprops.com/

You don't beat on the prop to straighten the shaft.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 04:23 PM

It is not the prop it is the shaft
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

You don't beat on the prop to straighten the shaft.

Right. I missed a word.
Posted By: Lake Arlington

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 04:40 PM

you can try Discount Maintenance Marine 817-274-1050 or b & B Propeller 817-284-7201. Both seem to be honest and upfront, but not sure as the extent of the damage.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
I have never had one straightened like this. Will they bend again easily after you have it straightened?

Bring it by the HOUSE, I got a 10 lb. sledge I'm sure will take care of it.
clap
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 07:58 PM

Sartin Marine did mine
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 08:29 PM

Lol yea go tweaking that shaft while it's in the housing. Talk about repeat business. In a bind I have but plan for further action.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Lol yea go tweaking that shaft while it's in the housing. Talk about repeat business. In a bind I have but plan for further action.

Sounds like a [censored] shoot to me. hammer

It (MIGHT) work and it may not.. Would sure want some kind of guarantee... Odds are you might soon be fixing more than a bent prop shaft.

Edit: I did not know if you were shooting craps it was a censored deal. They do it in Vegas all the time .
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
I have heard of a place around Lake Fork. But can't rememeber who .

NO--- Service Marine in Emory 903-473-3909 will remove the prop shaft, straighten and replace with new seals. Never try to straighten the prop shaft while in the housing as you will only be bending the outer part of the shaft.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/30/15 11:18 PM

http://quickstraight.com ......I don't know if I would trust it but they claim it works
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/31/15 12:32 AM

Straightening a prop shaft is a crapshoot. You could weaken the shaft further and lose your prop, as well as take quite a ride when she hooks.

Gman
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/31/15 02:08 AM

Sartin Marine at Fork straightened mine. But they took it out of the housing and stuck it back in with new seals. I'm no marine mechanic, but I am a mechanical engineer. I wouldn't trust any repair shop that said they'd straighten it without removing it. You can really bust up some bearings, seals, or other components in the lower unit by not taking the time to do the job right.

Maybe if the motor was on it's last leg already it wouldn't be worth the time/expense of pulling it, but it would be a very uncommon circumstance to make me think it was ok to not pull it.
Posted By: skins84

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 08/31/15 10:59 PM

I've witnessed Perry at Service Marine straighten shafts back to within factory tolerances several times.
Posted By: flexpress

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 12:12 AM

Sartin Marine where I would go it at lake
Fork
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 07:14 AM

[s][/s]
Originally Posted By: flexpress
Fork
Not me.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: crankbait745
[s][/s]
Originally Posted By: flexpress
Fork
Not me.
They've done great work for me on the only two occasions I ever needed to have anything done to my old Evinrude. I wouldn't trust anybody else at this point. And they're a little cheaper than others.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 12:26 PM

If anyone can do it, Sartin can. Great guys!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 01:04 PM

Q: "Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat"? A: A fool. (Assuming you mean while the shaft is still in the lower unit).
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 03:16 PM

A hammer, wood block, and a dial indicator.......go for it........
Posted By: TSpencer

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 04:51 PM

Nettles Props here in Austin has straightened literally hundreds without removing from the engines. Shafts almost always bend in the necked down area outside the housing. On my 2001 225 Vmax I had the same shaft straightened 3 times throughout the years. This last time I bent it so bad the boat would hardly get on plane. This time I had a new shaft put in. The bearings/internals were in great shape. A seal kit and the shaft were all that was needed.
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/01/15 06:53 PM

I don't see how the shaft could be supported properly with it still in the lower unit. I would be worried about damaging something internal.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/02/15 01:23 AM

think of it this way: it was supported exactly the same way when it was bent originally.
I have been a machinist over 40 yrs. and I have straightened a few. In 15 minutes I can
get it within factory specs but I always take the time to get them to 0. I have never had
one bend back and my own motor has over 200 hours since I straightened it in the motor by the
way. So I guess I am the idiot you are all talking about. Personally I think you'll don't
know jack about metallurgy or straightening shafts.

Johnny
Posted By: cfisch007

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/02/15 01:31 AM

Tim Iselt in Conroe did mine. Cost a fraction of buying new shaft with install. 2 years and no problem. Btw, it's like anything, if a mechanic has done it a lot, they know the limits and the subtleties of doing it right without hurting your lower unit. Take it to someone who has done a bunch. Tim rebuilt my power head as well and did great work. Knows his sh$t! 832 492 5513.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/02/15 01:47 AM

Rocket scientist I should have asked your perspective first. Sitting here wondering if you are one to take yours to the shop to have plugs changed. If I was betting I would bet that you do. argue
Originally Posted By: 361V
Q: "Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat"? A: A fool. (Assuming you mean while the shaft is still in the lower unit).
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/02/15 01:59 AM

Im not taking sides here but I wonder how straight something like the device in the video would get the shaft. With it out of the lowe unit you can lay if flat on a bench and roll it. You know if it any bends by watching it flop if it did. I can envision a shaft rotating true on the ends but wavy in the middle. That would be my concern. Obviously you guys that have lots of hours on one might negate that thinking but this photos shows something similar to what I'm talking about. You can imagine the ends rotating true even though the shaft obviously isn't straight.

Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/02/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt M
http://quickstraight.com ......I don't know if I would trust it but they claim it works

Matt, that scares the [censored] out of me just watching it!! eek

I know several people have had "success" with repairing them, but I'll personally never do it. The cost for a new LU (if the repair isn't perfect), versus a new shaft is enough reason for me.
Posted By: TSpencer

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/02/15 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer
Originally Posted By: Matt M

Matt, that scares the [censored] out of me just watching it!! eek

I know several people have had "success" with repairing them, but I'll personally never do it. The cost for a new LU (if the repair isn't perfect), versus a new shaft is enough reason for me.

More than several. There are hundreds of people who have had this done with great success. But true, a person shouldn't do what they are uncomfortable doing.

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/03/15 03:30 AM

I am taking my boat to Sartin Marine Saturday morning. Quoted a decent price and I will be on the lake by noon.
Posted By: pYr8

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/03/15 04:06 AM

Pull the carrier (or have it done) & straiten or replace the shaft (or have it done). Bent shafts beat up bearings & seals. Do it right & be done with it...
Would you try to have a drive shaft on your wife's car straitened without doing due diligence to make sure the vehicle is correct?
Posted By: FACSR

Re: Who will straighten a prop shaft while on the boat. - 09/03/15 03:49 PM

First of all if my wife hits a stump with her car and bends a drive shaft I think we would be car shopping instead of debating over replacing the shaft, secondly I have had a prop shaft straightened on Yamaha 150 4 years ago at a cost of 150.00 and about 1 hour in the shop which included pressure testing the lower unit, still running strong and I'm glad I did it. Yes the sun still sets in the west.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum