Texas Fishing Forum

Remember Tube Fishing?

Posted By: epicoutdoors

Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/29/15 08:54 PM

Just wondering how many out there may have started out fishing from a float tube?

I wore out a couple of them from age 10 to 18. Ponds, Lakes, Creeks, nothing was off limits. Caught my first DD fishing out of one. Probably caught just as many fish back then as I do now out of my $50k Skeeter.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/29/15 09:08 PM

That's because your only bought a $50K Skeeter.
If you had bought the $75K model you would be killing them
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/29/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
Just wondering how many out there may have started out fishing from a float tube?

I wore out a couple of them from age 10 to 18. Ponds, Lakes, Creeks, nothing was off limits. Caught my first DD fishing out of one. Probably caught just as many fish back then as I do now out of my $50k Skeeter.

I miss tube fishing. a lot of cool city waters to be fished. got to spend a week in the Dominican fishing a private lake up in the mountains. those locals were some bad arse tubers. they would inflate tubes for tires then fold them in half and tie them so it was like a saddle they were floating on. they used small hand made bark paddles to get around. the coolest thing was how they fished. they had access to hooks, line, sinkers and plastic worms but no rods or reels. what they did was tie a tx rig worm to each finger, throw them out and work it like one of those string puppets. you would hear them yell when they hooked up, it was fun to watch. I ended up leaving my tube with them along with a few years salary of tackle. I did see a gutted bass that still weighed 11 pounds and they thought I was loco for turning it down for dinner.

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/29/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
That's because your only bought a $50K Skeeter.
If you had bought the $75K model you would be killing them

I had to have a Yeti Cooler too so I couldn't afford the $75k model.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/29/15 09:51 PM

that's how we did it in college mostly... didn't ever try it until then, a buddy opened my eyes...

Couple lakes that I still think I'll give you all the gear in the world but 3 rods and a tube and I'll give you a run for your money lol
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 02:06 AM

Back in the day, way back, like late 70's I fished from float tube on lots of ponds and Lakes including Grapevine, Holbrook, Murval, Toledo and others. Always had good luck because you could get up close to the fish without spooking them. Not sure if I could sit in a tube nowadays more than a couple hours. Good memories and better than being stuck on the bank.

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 02:11 AM

I always enjoyed hooking big bass then seeing if they could out pull my scuba fins. man vs fish tug o war...

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 02:26 AM

Definitely lots of great memories in the tube. Lots of great fishing days and some strange ones too. When you see an alligator snapper as big as your tube easing along the bottom next to you the pucker factor goes to max!
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 02:30 AM

I never had a tube but I remember seeing articles about them in fishing magazines back in the early 80's. I myself started out with a little aluminum boat many years ago. I think back on those days and wonder how I was able to fish all day out of that tin bucket. These days I'm rolling large in a little aluminum boat... doh!

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
Definitely lots of great memories in the tube. Lots of great fishing days and some strange ones too. When you see an alligator snapper as big as your tube easing along the bottom next to you the pucker factor goes to max!

tubed some spots on choke back in the day when I lived down south. those gators will give you the same pucker factor.
Posted By: ruasoonerfan2

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 03:30 AM

My fishing buddy and myself started tube fishing 35 years ago and still go several times a year. Now days we load the tubes in the Skeeter and drive to the spot we want to tube, saves alot of paddling. Still catch more fish from the tubes, quieter
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 10:51 AM

Its my preferred fishing method in the summer.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 07:56 PM

After i saw a 14 foot alligator in Rayburn, I retired my tube. Had great fun in it until then.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 08:21 PM

Used to fish in them all the time with my dad back during the 70's, they were nowhere near what they are now a days,pretty much just a canvas seat that you put a tube in and zip it up, like I said fished everywhere in one till a snake decided he wanted to be in one with me. Have not been in one since
Posted By: Chad Stephens

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 08:49 PM

Fun in the summer time on creeks. Less work than getting the boat sometimes...
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Remember Tube Fishing? - 08/30/15 11:10 PM

I, and a fishing buddy, fished in tubes from summer 1965 through summer 1969. I moved away and bought my first boat, stopped using the tube. Last year, due to age, my boat became to tiring to be fun, so I sold it. I still fish in a boat with my younger fishing buddy, but this summer I bought another float tube and I enjoy fishing in it. I named it The Independence because it allows me to fish any time I want to go. I've only found one lake so far where I can use it and stay away from boat traffic and get to an area that holds fish, so it has limitations. But, as someone mentioned, it is so quite that you can be right on top of the fish and not spook them, and is very relaxing. I'm never as tired when fishing in the tube as I am when fishing in my buddy's boat. Seems strange, but true. I've been thinking I might get a ten foot plastic pontoon boat and trolling motor only so I can range out a little further, but I seriously doubt that I ever will. I will be age 80 in December, so the tube may be about all I need at this point, especially since my friend still takes me with him in his boat. If you think you might want to get a tube, the primary thing you need to do is consider carefully where you would use it. If you have good places to fish from a tube, go fit it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum