Texas Fishing Forum

Bubba drop shotting

Posted By: ezbassin

Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 02:45 PM

What is your favorite bait to drop shot when you beef up your tackle to drop shot Bubba style with 15 pound test line and larger hooks?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 02:56 PM

Spent the summer using and learning to drop shot, finesse style. The work has paid off and I finally "get it."

For Bubba style, I think I'd try the bigger fat roboworms that I believe are 7" long, or even the 6" straight tail.

And, I wonder if anyone has hooked up one of the Grande Bass floating tail worms to a drop shot? I bet that tail standing up would attract a big bass or two.

Be sure and use a more substantial, heavier drop shot sinker. I occasionally realize I am losing contact with the bottom with too light a sinker, say on a windy day, and it really helps to have the sinker opposing your actions to hold a semi-taut line.

I need to give the Bubba style a go! Report back if you score big with the bigger rig.

Brad
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 02:57 PM

When I beef it up it means there is deep grass and the heavy drop shot is the way to get in and out of there with the least disturbance. Bass hate any bait dropping into the hollow and sneaking up on them. The bait I use for this is a Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon/Neon.

I am sure you are referring to another application for using larger baits on a ledge or a school of deep fish that are active and feeding. Most any straight worm or paddle tail in a 7" will work great. Zoom Trick worms and the Senko type baits are the ones I like. I also use capt. grumpy's Cat Tails for this and they are similar to the Tornado.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 03:28 PM

I am wanting a BIG bite and I fish Lake Fork which has hard pulling bass and a lot of timber.
Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 03:32 PM

1/2 oz or bigger in really windy conditions. 3/0 trokar ewg 20 lb flouro, seguar red label ismy choice. LFT ring fry. This is my favorite drop shot for fork and this is a good time to use it. It made me some money in last years sealy big bass tournament which is coming up quick. Good luck hope this helps
Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 03:35 PM

And like to use a 7 ft med heavy type rod. The dobyns 704 is what I use.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
What is your favorite bait to drop shot when you beef up your tackle to drop shot Bubba style with 15 pound test line and larger hooks?

Zoom Mag Trick worm or
6.5 Tornado

Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 04:13 PM

I had to quit drop-shotting because I only catch 10 lbers, lol! Monday morning joke!
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 04:20 PM

zoom big dead ringer

works great in sparse hydrilla
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 04:55 PM

6.5" rattlesnake thumb
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 07:27 PM

10" lizard

A lot of people only throw lizards on a Carolina rig or Texas rig. However, I've had crazy-stupid success with a giant lizard on a beefed up drop shot. I use the Strike King 3X Iguana because it's 10" and it has elaztech so it floats. For the hook, I use a standard 5/0 worm hook.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/24/15 09:50 PM

Buddy has been doing it for a couple of years, for BIG FISH on Fork and other lakes. He uses 3/4 to 1 oz. weights, 4/0 or 5/0 hook (unless he is using a circle hook and then it is a 2/0), 20# Segaur and the Dobyns 80 CB RM rod for it. WORKS GREAT for that presentation. He uses Trick worms or finesse worms from Zoom. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: T54

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/25/15 01:43 AM

Jackall Flick Shake 6.8
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/25/15 02:05 AM

SENKO!
Posted By: BassCat2104

Re: Bubba drop shotting - 08/25/15 02:07 AM

One neat trick catch a big one is take 3-4 "swim bait, hook it through the lip or through the back and drop shot it , through the back resembles more of a realistic dying shad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum