Texas Fishing Forum

Ordering reels from Japan

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 12:13 AM

Why are Shimano reels much cheaper when you order from Japan rather than Tacklewarehouse or the like. Even on Amazon they have the same reels for completely different prices depending on either imported or not. The price difference on Shimano Metaniums is like $150. My question is, are they the exact same reel? If so, why the price difference? Also, is resale the exact same on both reels? I noticed Diawa is the same. Super cheap to order from Japan..
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 12:36 AM

Just like anything else, people are willing to pay that much. Same exact parts I am sure. Its just like the iPhone, they make them in China and it costs about $12 to build one because parts and labor are cheap, yet Americans pay $300 dollars for them.
Posted By: TheSinistral

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 12:37 AM

Another concern would be warranty. Not sure if those reels are covered in US and prohibitive to ship back to Japan.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 12:37 AM

One reason is the cost of living is higher in the USA and the demand prolly isn't as high in Japan. Don't let John Morris find out your buy reels straight from Japan.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 12:57 AM

Cost of living is about the same in japan as here.

Why are they higher? My guess is we are willing to pay it. They are just matching the market.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 01:25 AM

Will US Customs charge a import tariff?
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 01:45 AM

Actually the cost of living in Japan is somewhat higher than the US. By some accounts its one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in. Tokyo is extremely expensive.

Rank Country
1 Japan
2 South Korea
3 Russia
4 Taiwan
5 Norway
6 Hong Kong
7 Switzerland
8 Denmark
9 Argentina
10 China
11 Finland
12 Cote d'Ivoire
13 United States
14 Sweden
15 Venezuela
16 United Kingdom
17 Singapore
18 Oman
19 Jordan
20 Kuwait
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 02:29 AM

The value of the U.S. Dollar vs the Japanese Yen. The exchange rate. Two years ago they were more expensive. Right now they are less expensive. And the JDM version is usually a little better than the USDM version. You can buy a Daiwa Steez Limited Edition for less from Japan than the regular detailed for here. It's kind of a win, win. Also, there is no U.S. Customs issues from Japan to US.
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 04:52 AM

What website are yall using?
Posted By: guntz67

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

+1 please tell
Posted By: Zawse

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 07:44 AM

I heard that the website Japantackle is pretty good in what they do if you want to import daiwa/shimano fishing gear.
Posted By: Chato

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 12:54 PM

I bought one off eBay bout a month ago. Paid $300 took 3 weeks and I can't tell the difference between the Japan or American model. It was a Metanium

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Chato

I bought one off eBay bout a month ago. Paid $300 took 3 weeks and I can't tell the difference between the Japan or American model. It was a Metanium
ummm. Because the metanium IS a JDM reel that is imported. Hah. It should be the same. As is Abu MGX and Revo Extreme. Steez, Pixy R's,and Zillions.

+1 for Jaoantackle. Samurai Tackle is another.
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 03:09 PM

Sweet!! Thanks guys

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 03:10 PM

Japanlureshop.com is a website recommended to me by someone who has ordered a few reels from. I am in the market to buy a few Metaniums and by the sound of it, this is the way to go. $419 each at Tacklewarhouse, $269 each from Japan.
Posted By: Bryan_Peel

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 03:55 PM

Like Steez said, weaker yen at the moment and the lack of warrenty when you import. The consistently cheapest place to purchase from is Rakuten, which is like a JP amazon. That site can be confusing at first but once you figure it out, its pretty straight forward. Order from that site with confidence. Japantackle and samuraitackle are top notch sellers but you will pay a premium price thru both...

Also, with reels, import fees are hit or miss but if you order a rod, expect an import fee of $45-$60 every single time.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 05:07 PM

I used to deal in the Japanese reels and always dealt with Japan Tackle The fellow who ran it then started having some medical problems so his son was taking over when I switched brands. I never once had a problem with them the shipping was prompt and I never got a bad reel.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 05:44 PM

I recently ordered a Tranx from JapanTackle and would've never thought this was possible but I got the reel just around two days later. Unbelievable... especially since shipping was free.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 08:05 PM

Purchased a Metanium from Japan Tackle(free shipping) for alot less than Tackle Warehouse.
Received it in 2 days, I was shocked!! The shipping address was from Taiwan.
However the schematic and all paper work was in Japanese roflmao
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 08:16 PM

I looked at revos a few minutes ago and it's hard to tell if it's a good deal. None are offered in the states. I did however learn the yen to dollar conversion.

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden
I looked at revos a few minutes ago and it's hard to tell if it's a good deal. None are offered in the states. I did however learn the yen to dollar conversion.
tackle warehouse has all the JDM Abu Garcias. Around the mid to upper $200 range to the $380's. ALT, MGX, LTX, etc. all Revos. I think.

Tackle warehouse under "JDM tackle".
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 10:04 PM

Your correct guess I should pay closer attention.

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/23/15 11:36 PM

Well I just ordered 5 Metaniums from Japan, I will let y'all know how it goes, so far so good. WAAAAAAAYYYY cheaper than US tackle shops.
Posted By: T54

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/24/15 01:39 AM

The dollar is much stronger against the yen than it has been in the past. About 20% stronger. Also, Japanese retailers do not have to abide by an MSRP policy like American dealers do, so they will sell the product at a lower price and take less profit.

You don't get a warranty and sometimes you will get hit with an import tax. Once the yen rebounds, the prices will be a lot closer again.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/24/15 04:52 AM

My son just sent me a Shimano Vanquish c3000 spinning reel from Okinawa. Excellent reel for a fraction of the cost.

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/24/15 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik
My son just sent me a Shimano Vanquish c3000 spinning reel from Okinawa. Excellent reel for a fraction of the cost.
dang. You're a lucky dude. Is your son in the military. That's a cool gift.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/24/15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Actually the cost of living in Japan is somewhat higher than the US. By some accounts its one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in. Tokyo is extremely expensive.

Rank Country
1 Japan
2 South Korea
3 Russia
4 Taiwan
5 Norway
6 Hong Kong
7 Switzerland
8 Denmark
9 Argentina
10 China
11 Finland
12 Cote d'Ivoire
13 United States
14 Sweden
15 Venezuela
16 United Kingdom
17 Singapore
18 Oman
19 Jordan
20 Kuwait

thank you, I was about to do the same. I can't beleive the nonsense people speak out of their mouths sometimes without knowing the facts.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/24/15 01:22 PM

I am surprised by the large amount on World Economist that post in this section
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/24/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
Well I just ordered 5 Metaniums from Japan, I will let y'all know how it goes, so far so good. WAAAAAAAYYYY cheaper than US tackle shops.

WHAT DO YOU DO THAT YOU CAN AFFORD THAT??? actually screw it, can I get a job with you lol... or do you have any interest in adopting.

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/25/15 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

WHAT DO YOU DO THAT YOU CAN AFFORD THAT??? actually screw it, can I get a job with you lol... or do you have any interest in adopting.

Hell, they were cheaper than 1 power pole!
Posted By: T54

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 08/25/15 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

I had a buddy order 12 of them earlier this year. He sells Cane Thumpers for a living.

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 09/03/15 11:13 PM

All reels came in 6 business days after ordering. No issues and they are sweet! And I didn't have to pay an import fee..Metaniums for about $270 each, he'll of a deal!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 09/04/15 11:16 AM

All reels came in 6 business days after ordering. No issues and they are sweet! And I didn't have to pay an import fee..Metaniums for about $270 each, he'll of a deal!

Good to know........
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 09/04/15 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I am surprised by the large amount on World Economist that post in this section

I was thinking the same thing!

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: Ordering reels from Japan - 09/04/15 02:48 PM

Digitaka and JapanLureShop are both great, reliable sites to order from. Get great reels that are not available in the US or buy reels that are available at a huge savings. The exchange rate is very favorable now and I hope it stays that way for a while.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum