Texas Fishing Forum

First Aid Kits

Posted By: Chillin Da Most

First Aid Kits - 08/17/15 11:16 PM

Do you carry one in your boat? What does it contain? Caught a bunch of small bass on crank baits and left hand was red and swollen from being stuck with fins when removing fish from the treble hooks. Do you perform any first aid after being stuck with fins? My hand stayed swollen for several days and could have been infected.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/17/15 11:27 PM

I don't but I need to. I just want the basics, bandaids, gauze, tape, disinfectant, etc. Just something for the little mistakes until I get back home. I've never been stuck deeply with fins so never messed with doing anything. Since you've had a bad experience, I'd carry something to clean the wound and prevent infection.
Posted By: Garvin

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/17/15 11:30 PM

• Bandaids
  • Neosporin
  • Anti itch cream
  • Advil
  • Israeli bandage
  • Alcohol wipes
  • Nitrile gloves
Posted By: Basscat'n

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/17/15 11:39 PM

Lidocaine lol
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/17/15 11:49 PM

You can pick up a really nice kit at Sam's. It's has enough of each item I was able to split it up into 3 separate kits...one for the boat, house and our retail store. Comes in a pretty nice box almost like a Plano and that's the one I carry in the boat. Never had a problem with the fins either but you could use the disinfectant in the kit for that.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 12:27 AM

Keep a small one in the boat mostly bandages and disinfectant and larger one in the truck.
Posted By: IIIMag

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 01:24 AM

I keep a small bottle of Band-Aid brand disinfectant handy and drizzle on punctures and cuts when they happen. That seems to prevent the day-after redness and soreness that you described.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 01:49 AM

I keep bandaids and tape in the glove box. If I get into them good, I'll put a couple wraps of tape over the lower portion of my thumb. It helps. But, I try not to complain about "bass-thumb". Hearing about people getting infections makes me use the tape.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 02:00 AM

I keep a small one in my bag. Gauze, bandages, alcohol rubs, tampons, clean hand towels, and a few other odds and ends.

Enough to get me or a buddy to real treatment if needed.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 02:22 AM

gloves, Neosporin, bandages, gauze, dressings, and Vet wrap.

Gman
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 02:23 AM

I always have a first aid kit on board ...bought one at Wal Mart for about $5 has everything you need, I also keep a bottle of hand sanitizer or handiwipes to clean hands especially if I get finned, or a hook puncture.. then apply some antibiotic cream..the tape on fingers is a good idea will have to try that too..
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 01:12 PM

After wearing that treble around all day from the Rattle-Trap that was spit at me I do.

Lidocaine and a few syringes, a scalpel and some butterflies. That was no fun.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 01:16 PM

tp
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
After wearing that treble around all day from the Rattle-Trap that was spit at me I do.

Lidocaine and a few syringes, a scalpel and some butterflies. That was no fun.

That reminds me, fished a College FLW on Amistad a few years back and saw a kid come in with a treble in the back of his head. Heard his partner put it there, I wonder what words were exchanged and if they still fish together lol

I keep a small one, pretty much what everyone else has described, never know when you will need it.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 05:12 PM

Absolutely! Learned that lesson when I was a kid. Got a sorta-cheap kit in a plastic box at Walmart, added a few more better quality/sticking bandaids, gauze pads & tape. Also have a diagonal wire cutter just in case.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 06:21 PM

My wife made me a kit and keeps it stocked. Lots of band aids, neosporin, and alcohol, pads.
If I get a good stick I will wipe it down and bandage it.
A little over a week ago I had a treble hook through and through on me. Actually it just went through one side and it was easier just to push it on through and out (less painful too). I wiped it down with alcohol pads, bactine, neosporin and it healed up great with no infection.
Get some cam-action or heavy duty side cutters. I have a pair of Dewalt's that will cut a hook easily.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: D.A.Cooper
I keep a small one in my bag. Gauze, bandages, alcohol rubs, tampons, clean hand towels, and a few other odds and ends.

Enough to get me or a buddy to real treatment if needed.

tampons? hmmm
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 11:22 PM

i do carry a Kit! Basically bought a plastic Johnson and Johnson kit with band aids, gauz and anti bacterial gel! I added alcohol wipes, Ibuprofen and tums! And of course I keep wipeys back there to for emergency a or the occasion maintenance wipe!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/18/15 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Josh Fulton
i do carry a Kit! Basically bought a plastic Johnson and Johnson kit with band aids, gauz and anti bacterial gel! I added alcohol wipes, Ibuprofen and tums! And of course I keep wipeys back there to for emergency a or the occasion maintenance wipe!

Re-wipe or the real mccoy? You may try toliet paper for that, and get off the boat. That white don't mix well with dark colors.
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/19/15 12:49 AM

Unless you are a woman, or fish regularly with a woman, please tell us what you do with tampons on a boat. Is there a good use for them other than the obvious?
Posted By: Garvin

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/19/15 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: chickenfried76
Unless you are a woman, or fish regularly with a woman, please tell us what you do with tampons on a boat. Is there a good use for them other than the obvious?

Manly uses for tampons
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/19/15 01:04 AM

Interesting. Makes sense. Thanks for the link
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/19/15 01:09 AM

If your a fisherman you need to add a good pair or side cutters to any first aid kit

Nobody needs to cut a hook in half with a pair of rusty needle nose

I keep a new pair just for that reason
Posted By: WAWI

Re: First Aid Kits - 08/19/15 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
If your a fisherman you need to add a good pair or side cutters to any first aid kit

Nobody needs to cut a hook in half with a pair of rusty needle nose

I keep a new pair just for that reason

Lol I got to operate on myself twice last year with rusty needle nose. For the record it sucked.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum