Texas Fishing Forum

state parks for camping/kayak fishing

Posted By: mullets+minnows

state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/08/15 10:20 PM

Hey everyone,
I am currently planning a camping trip and was hoping I could get some feedback on it. What are some good state parks with good kayak launch access and fishing, around the Houston to SA/Austin area. The trip will probably happen in November. I plan to fish primarily for largemouth, maybe smallies, and might also do a little catfish fishing. Also, any tips on fishing for bass in November would be greatly appreciated as well. I am a majority saltwater fisherman and only started fishing freshwater this summer.
Thanks!
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/08/15 10:43 PM

you might try posting in the 'yak forum for additional results http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/27/1/Kayak_Fishing

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/08/15 11:13 PM

It doesn't have a state park; but I would be going to Ivie. It has excellent camping facilities and you can access all 4 sides of the lake within a 30 min. drive to each.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 12:01 AM

My vote would be Coleto Creek just south of Victoria hands down. Very nice camping sites with great kayak access, clean bathrooms and showers, etc. Caught my PB 12.3 there. Good for catfish also (I almost always catch one or two while lure fishing for bass). If you like fishing grass you'd love Coleto. If you decide to go just PM me and I can give you some tips and spots.

2nd choice would be Fayette County up by La Grange but I like the camp sites better at Coleto.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 12:15 AM

Coleto Creek +1
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 12:18 AM

My personal favorite is Meridian State Park. Nice primitive sites right next to the water. I've always had good luck bass fishing there also.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 12:42 AM

Lake Brownwood has great facilities for both at their state park.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 01:39 AM

lol, sorry, i missed the part about houston/sa area
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 01:42 AM

Apologies. I did as well.
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 03:00 PM

I personally like Huntsville State Park. It has a lot of big fish in it, however, it, CAN be tough sometimes. The lake is only 200 acres so you can cover the lake in a kayak very easily. The last time my nephew came down a couple months ago to visit he stopped there on his way back home and caught a bunch of fish from his yak. He had 13 fish from the 2 1/2 lb to 4 lb range. My wife once caught 2 6 1/2 lbers & a 5+ pounder on the same day. The last time my wife & I were there we caught some good fish just not many. It gets crowded in the summertime because so many people rent canoes & paddle boats.
For camping, I have to agree Coleto Creek has better overall facilities but Huntsville is not bad at all. I also like fishing Coleto Creek but I prefer Huntsville for kayak fishing. Huntsville has a No Wake rule so you don't have to worry about a bunch of boat wakes. I know when I was in college it used to be loaded with very big crappie. However, that was many many many years ago. I don't know if that's true anymore. Since you live in Houston, it is very close.
Good Luck,
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/09/15 10:06 PM

PM sent
Posted By: TxStLipRipper

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/10/15 12:41 AM

I'd recommend Bastrop. Never stayed at the campground but both the north and south shore seem to be nice. Fishing is amazing as well
Posted By: twstephens77

Re: state parks for camping/kayak fishing - 08/10/15 02:58 PM

+1 for Huntsville SP. If you can go during the week it helps a TON with the crowds. Fish frogs in the lowlight hours and wacky-rigged senkos along weedlines at other times...should be able to coax at least a couple to bite. And that's still the only place where I can fish all day, catch nothing, and still be happy at the end of the day...it's nice just to be on the water there!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum