Texas Fishing Forum

Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing?

Posted By: LipRipper3325

Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/07/15 05:31 PM

What is your preferred PFD when bass fishing? I like to fish alone and I need something more comfortable to wear the entire time I'm on the water.. I really don't think I want an inflatable either

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/07/15 08:00 PM

I know you said you didn't want a inflatable, but you really want to try to wear something for long periods of time I would suggest changing your mind and giving it a whirl.
I wear the Mustang elite and can honestly say sometimes you forget it is on.
Love it, I hear some say they will deploy with heat or humidity, and this was true with my older style years ago. Have not have the Elite deploy as of yet and I have had it awhile.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/07/15 08:38 PM

I use the Onyx bought it from Amazon. I am 6'3" and 250#, the mustang I tried on was to tight in places the Onyx is good to go for me.

Sorry didn't see the NO inflatable ... I have nothing.
Posted By: Lake_Nasworthy_Kid

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/07/15 11:49 PM

i have to remind my dad every time we start fishing that he has it on lol. they are the best!
Posted By: LipRipper3325

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 12:00 AM

Thanks for the info... maybe i ought to give the inflatable a try
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 12:01 AM

Mustang HIT
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 12:02 AM

I have an inflatable I wear when driving and a waist inflatable while fishing.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 12:31 AM

Good old fashioned vest style with collar....very pleased with it.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 12:37 AM

What dp you have against an inflatable? I forget mine is on, its that comfortable and small... And if I lose my footing and am going over a gunwale I just pull the tab... Like $60 for stylish camo one on sale at academy lol
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 12:47 AM

Definitely not the inflatable....I've known of 3 people that have died wearing those because they failed to deploy......Because bass boats generally are driven at a pretty could clip as far as speed is concerned, I prefer the racing style vest with the padded collar......
Posted By: Bassinfool

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 06:21 PM

Was told by a Game Warden that if you use an inflatable PFD you still need to have regular PFD in the boat. Not sure if this is true so I use the regular when big motor is running.
Posted By: djones03

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 07:13 PM

According to Texas law, an inflatable PFD ONLY counts if it is being worn. If you wear it all day, you are fine. If you take it off to fish, you MUST have a type 1,2,or 3 in the boat. If all persons in the boat are wearing type 5 inflatables at all times, they are good. If it comes off they have to have enough other life jackets in the boat for the amount of people not wearing it. Sorry if this is confusing.
Posted By: djones03

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 07:15 PM

I wear a type 3 regular life vest. I like knowing that if I get ejected from the boat and knocked unconscious, My flotation device will at least keep me on the surface.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 08:30 PM

I have worn a vest type PFD with collar every second I have been in a boat for over 20 years, summer and winter, night and day. It's not that unbearaby hot for me and I know I can't be that much tougher than everyone else. If I go in the water I don't want to have to depend on an inflation process working correctly to save my life.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/08/15 08:34 PM

Legally it depends on the rating. A type v with type iii performance, or a standard type iii would make a difference. I do carry the backup just in case mine activates, so I am legal either way.

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: djones03
According to Texas law, an inflatable PFD ONLY counts if it is being worn. If you wear it all day, you are fine. If you take it off to fish, you MUST have a type 1,2,or 3 in the boat. If all persons in the boat are wearing type 5 inflatables at all times, they are good. If it comes off they have to have enough other life jackets in the boat for the amount of people not wearing it. Sorry if this is confusing.

There is no law in Texas that states you must wear a inflatable for it to be legal. It's determined by what rating is on the label whether you need to wear it all the time or not. Some are Type III which don't need to be worn.

However there are a lot of Game Wardens and other Law Enforcement that do not know this so it's just easier to have a regular vest for each inflatable in the boat.

I will also wear the vest in the really rough stuff which I try to stay out of. I keep the inflatable on all the time in cold water unless I am in a Marina, near shire or other where I know I can get out of the water.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Mustang HIT

Same here. It's lightweight and comfortable and I wear it all the time. I'm old, fish alone, and if I have a health issue and fall out of the boat (and can't pull a manual inflation handle), I'm hoping an auto inflatable will give me a chance.
Posted By: Saltymustache

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 03:15 AM

There is a law, I've been doing a lot of research on it and to clear things up, ALL inflatables are classified as type V , some are capable of different classes once deployed depending on the specs. But once again all inflatables are class V. That means if your not wearing it, then it does not count and you must have a standard coast guard approved class 1,2,3, or 4 in the boat.

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: bmobley30
There is a law, I've been doing a lot of research on it and to clear things up, ALL inflatables are classified as type V , some are capable of different classes once deployed depending on the specs. But once again all inflatables are class V. That means if your not wearing it, then it does not count and you must have a standard coast guard approved class 1,2,3, or 4 in the boat.

I wish I had my Mustang HIT here at the house. I would take a picture of the label that shows it is Type II on non-commercial vessels. Its Type II for recreational use. You do not have to wear it for it to count.

Non-Auto Inflatables are Type III or V.

Mustang Site for HIT

Regardless since there is so much confusion and different interpretation I just keep another vest in the boat which I wear it the weather is bad. I would rather be in the water with a non-inflatable in a bad situation than a inflatable.

Posted By: Saltymustache

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 12:51 PM

I stand corrected, but I definitely could see how a warden could miss understand that.

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
I have worn a vest type PFD with collar every second I have been in a boat for over 20 years, summer and winter, night and day. It's not that unbearaby hot for me and I know I can't be that much tougher than everyone else. If I go in the water I don't want to have to depend on an inflation process working correctly to save my life.
I take mine off if the water is calm while fishing but I am a proficient swimmer. If the water is rough or there is just an exceptional amount of boat traffic I keep it on, that being said I NEVER run the big motor without my vest and kill switch connected; NO EXCEPTIONS. When you are behind the wheel of a performance bass boat its not "if" but "when" you will have a situation where that PFD is going to save your life. That being said, I've never been ejected from a rig but I have come close and the kill switch hooked to that PFD kept me from the ultimate disaster.......
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 02:18 PM

Here is the Mustang MD3183 HIT inflatable label and yes, the Texas game wardens here do count it on my bass boat, whether being worn or not......

Posted By: JkWho

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/09/15 06:21 PM

When it comes to inflatable PFD's what justifies some of the pricing? I see them from 99.00 to over 300.00
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/11/15 06:37 PM

Not to steal the thread but what do you guys think of the auto inflat waist PFD for us when not running and on mostly clam conditions. I'm not a great swimmer and always wear my Onxy when running or in rough water, just thinking with these 100* plus days the waist might be nice.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/11/15 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JkWho
When it comes to inflatable PFD's what justifies some of the pricing? I see them from 99.00 to over 300.00

The brand name.

If you want rip cord inflatables, I suggest just getting the cheapest Academy carries, I bought very handsom Camo print ones for $60/ea iirc? Love me some Academy sale prices!

Autoinflatible are considerably more but also cheaper for non high-end brand names, as with most things. Differences are not in function as all adhere to same ratings, like motorcycle helmets, differences come into play in weight and comfort etc. I reckon
Posted By: JPost

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/11/15 10:07 PM

Another consideration, a full vest will help protect your body in case you're thrown around inside the boat. This is common if you spin out at speed.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/11/15 10:52 PM

Mustang w/ HIT

Re: Preferred PFD for Bass Fishing? - 08/11/15 11:16 PM

This is real similar to what I wore and will give you added protection if you get thrown out at speed. I have fallen off of water skis over 50mph and the injuries I received were very similar to dropping a motorcycle on a highway minus the road rash. I had broke ribs, a concussion, and various deep bruises on different parts of my body. If you are thrown from a bass boat at any speed at all you are probably going experience something real similar. The more you have between you and the water the better off you are going to be..........
http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Platinum-Series-Fishing-Life-Jacket/product/12082505423112/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum