Texas Fishing Forum

Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage

Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/05/15 12:45 PM

Both boats rigged the same. Would you pay the difference to have the FTD? Why or why not? Looking for multiple opinions on these set ups. Also would you rather have a 52" fortrex over a 45"? Thank y'all!
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/05/15 12:48 PM

FTD it has a wider front deck, and I would want the 52" for when you are in the wind.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/05/15 01:10 PM

Andrew you can't miss with either one of these boats. I have always liked the Cougar FTD. Both boats fish the same. Do you want the extra bells and whistles then by the Premium FTD. If you can't justify the extra cost buy the Adv. Elite! A 45" shaft is adequate for either boat. If you are fishing open water in heavy wind then choose the 52".
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/05/15 04:14 PM

I saw this on the BassCat owners page. The difference between the Cougar FTD and Cougar Advantage. This was for 2014, so there might be a little difference in 2015 and/or 2016.

Cougar AE/ Cougar FTD

(1) 12 volt outlet/ (3) 12 volt outlets

26/10 (36) gallon fuel capacity/ 26/26 (52) gallon fuel capacity

regular dash and windscreen/ modular dash and windscreen

1 interior courtesy light/ 4 interior courtesy lights

stainless handrails/ illuminated handrails

perko latches/ southco latches

single bilge pump/ dual bilge pumps (auto and manual)

standard bow light/ built in bow light

hoses from engine enter at side of splash well/ hoses from engine enter at front of splash well

regular drain plug/ southco drain plug

bungee rod straps/ velcro rod straps

e ladder/ stainless boarding ladder

No extra "bling"/ mini bolt and extra cap stripe

Hope this helps your decision.
Posted By: bladeslinger

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/05/15 06:15 PM

Both are very nice rigs and fish great,I like the options on my FTD .You will be happy with either one.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/05/15 08:13 PM

I like the look of the FTD better. I have a 2015 FTD and the extra lines on the FTD really make it stand out over the advantage IMO. Both are great and I have fished from both. I just like the options and the look of the FTD better. Also, it seems like the resale holds better on the FTD from what I have observed.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/06/15 02:54 AM

You will definitely want the FTD, it's just a nicer set up by far.

Let me know if I can help you get in one.

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/06/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Yetts
Andrew you can't miss with either one of these boats. I have always liked the Cougar FTD. Both boats fish the same. Do you want the extra bells and whistles then by the Premium FTD. If you can't justify the extra cost buy the Adv. Elite! A 45" shaft is adequate for either boat. If you are fishing open water in heavy wind then choose the 52".

Tommy sorry if I missed you at the meeting last week. I tried introducing myself to the other surrounding dealers. (I'm with Ross Motorsports) I'm just getting a feel from everyone. Thanks for the offer Jay. Rockwall marine does an excellent job!
Posted By: James Weir

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/07/15 02:39 PM

I've got the Puma Advantage Elite 2015, got it from Rockwall Marine. I was able to spend less on the boat itself and add in some power poles, graphs, etc with the savings. I love my boat and I fish in it just about EVERY DAY. I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/07/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Interesting comparison of options. Why doesn't Basscat use RodBuckles or their own proprietary, retractable system? The Velcro snags hooks and gets in the way, IMO. Not knocking them...just an honest question.
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/07/15 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 96speed

Interesting comparison of options. Why doesn't Basscat use RodBuckles or their own proprietary, retractable system? The Velcro snags hooks and gets in the way, IMO. Not knocking them...just an honest question.

They now have them as a option....
Posted By: JPost

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/07/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockie Martin
Originally Posted By: 96speed

They now have them as a option....

Go old school and use the bungees. Real simple and works better.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/08/15 02:19 AM

52 inch Fortrex for sure. I've been on Fork and a few other lakes where the wind can really make the water crazy and couldn't keep the TM below the surface with any thing shorter........
Posted By: ToledoGold

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/09/15 12:48 AM

The purpose of Andrew's question I believe is coming from a dealer perspective. Andrew is on the sales team at Ross Motorsports, which is picking up Bass Cat to add to their darn well stocked showroom of motorcycles, ATVs, ETC. In Lufkin, they are they closest BCB/Yamaha dealer to most of us.

So from a buyers opinion, what do you want to see on the showroom floor when you walk in? A loaded out FTD or a more price friendly Advantage. How important is it to you that you get the exact colors you want on a boat that youre willing to wait 6 weeks and special order one. What options do you prefer on each model? M

Tommy, good to see you a couple weeks ago at the meeting. Jay, hope youre loving the new boat. I got mine put into production order today. That gives me a few weeks to make my mind up on colors wink.
Posted By: TexasMo

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/09/15 01:12 AM

walking into a sales room is always hard.. i think .. from a buyers perspective.. I want to see what can be added to a Rig.. then I look at the things I can live without...

Mo

Re: Cougar ftd vs Cougar advantage - 08/09/15 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: ToledoGold
The purpose of Andrew's question I believe is coming from a dealer perspective. Andrew is on the sales team at Ross Motorsports, which is picking up Bass Cat to add to their darn well stocked showroom of motorcycles, ATVs, ETC. In Lufkin, they are they closest BCB/Yamaha dealer to most of us.

So from a buyers opinion, what do you want to see on the showroom floor when you walk in? A loaded out FTD or a more price friendly Advantage. How important is it to you that you get the exact colors you want on a boat that youre willing to wait 6 weeks and special order one. What options do you prefer on each model? M

Tommy, good to see you a couple weeks ago at the meeting. Jay, hope youre loving the new boat. I got mine put into production order today. That gives me a few weeks to make my mind up on colors wink.

Appreciate it! This cleared up my question. From my opinion alog with the majority of people the ftd will be the one that sells. If you are going to spend it, get what you want. Colors will always be the hardest part. Everyone has an opinion. Basscat does an excellent job with allowing the customer to purchase what they want. No package colors to be pushed into. Any questions or suggestions feel free to message me. I am open to everything that can be said.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum