Texas Fishing Forum

Keeping boat carpet clean

Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 07:45 PM

I clean it a few times a year, but would like to see if anyone has any ideas on how to keep it clean longer. I can't see myself going without shoes with all the hooks on the deck, and I can't ask everyone that get in my boat to remove their shoes. Sand, mud, water at boat ramps make it impossible it seems to keep them clean. I also can't see myself throwing a doormat on the deck to 'Please Wipe Feet' and then stowing that. Wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. Maybe those spa slippers? roflmao
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 08:35 PM

Fish in the rain then shop vacuum when you get home.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter
I clean it a few times a year. Sand, mud, water at boat ramps make it impossible it seems to keep it clean.
Pretty much summed it up yourself. I try to wipe off my feet after walking trough dirt, sand...to board my boat but past that I know of no majic tricks except to wash it occasionally. The only thing I really hate is if it is rains on the highway going to the lake when I don't have a cover on. Really coats everything with dirt and grime.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 09:34 PM

+1 I hate when it rain on the highway boat gets pretty nasty. for keeping the carpet I dip the bottom part of the sole the water and when I get to my 1st honey hole I put my tennis shoes on. My father use too keep a floor mat in his boat.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 10:01 PM

I too wash the bottom of my soles if the bank is muddy. I try to keep the new carpet clean and plush. Driving on wet roads is avoided if possible. It does make a nasty mess. But, if I want to fish in the rain, I don't let it stop me! It just means I have to "flood" the carpet with a water hose to get the dirt out. I vacuum every five trips or so to keep the dirt to a minimum. I'd rather do that then have to hassle with a cover. Matter of fact, I'm going to vacuum mine tonight when it cools down to 120!! On my last boat, I did the carpet job myself and kept a floor mat size piece of the leftover in my compartment. It helped a lot with that area where you first step onto the boat.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 11:13 PM

Not that I keep mine overly clean by any means but I clean it at the car wash. High pressure wash (no soap) and take it home to dry. I have garage for the boat so I put it in the garage and put fan in the boat to dry everything out.
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 11:25 PM

The best way I have found to keep mine clean is to buy Bissell carpet cleaner, and use a stiff bristle brush on a handle to scrub the carpet. Just put the carpet cleaner diluted with water into a spray bottle and apply liberally. Then use a power washer or garden hose on high to rinse it out well.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/04/15 11:57 PM

When I fish in the rain it gets cleaned. Lol.

My last boat I was super anal about keeping clean. Just not enough time in my life anymore for being super paranoid and clean with the boat.

Don't get me wrong I would run it everywhere and scratch it all to heck and back then wash and wax and at end of every season have all Knicks etc professionally fixed. 1k or so every year.

Bought one with scratches already on purpose this time.

I wash it occasionally and keep it neat but don't go overboard anymore. Shop vac or pressure washer if carpet gets real bad.
Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/05/15 12:31 AM

It is hard to do! I make myself think this way( Its a boat...Its meant to get dirty....its meant to be fished out of.... Stop focusing on the boat and focus on the fish.) You just might have to clean it more the twice a year... Oh and mix a spray bottle 1/2 water and 1/2 fabric softener and when you pressure wash the dirt out... spray it down and let it soak about 30 mins. then rinse it back out with psi washer. Ha soft carpet again. It worked for me. I didn't buy the cheap stuff either. Boat smelled like I just got it out of the dryer....LOL
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/05/15 03:50 AM

Pressure wash it without soap makes it look new again, don't use soap that is how you get the lines in your carpet and messes the carpet up
Posted By: J-2

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/05/15 07:39 AM

I use a deck brush with coarse bristles. Use the hose to wet the carpet then scrub with the brush and bucket of warm water with a little dish soap (dish soap cuts the grease/grime). Rinse and vacume against the grain to make the carpet stand up. Lastly, use a little fabric softener in a squirt bottle and it will help keep the carpet soft and from laying back down so quick. Lot of work but I only do it once a year or so.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Keeping boat carpet clean - 08/05/15 12:15 PM

I wonder if Scotch Guard would help? At least to prevent stains? Probably not. I guess, in the end, it's a fishing boat. Haha.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum