Texas Fishing Forum

Lew's Spinning Reels

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/04/15 03:46 PM

Ordered one last night. Tournament HS. Usually purchase Shimano. Are these good as the baitcasters? Any feedback would b fish e appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/04/15 04:50 PM

I have a pair of Tournament Pro HP's that seem solid after about half a year of light use. Both models seemed nice when I tested them, just went with the HP for the faster retrieve speed.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/04/15 06:59 PM

I've had the best that Lews makes, and it is hand down NO WHERE NEAR as good as their better bait casters. They are heavy, line twisting machines. I have since aquired a Shimano Stradic Ci4 in a 2000 size through a trade with a forum member and it is light years ahead of the best Lews offerings.

Go ahead and spend a little more and get a Shimano or Daiwa.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/04/15 11:52 PM

My lews doesn't "line twist",that's a user error. 6.2:1 sgh200 which is awesome for picking up line. It only weighs 8.7oz. That's not heavy. Sure a stradic weight 6.9 but its also triple the price. Lews $129.00 reel only weighs 6.3... Both are great reels but the "best" or "highest priced" lews spinning reel is still lighter than the stradic.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 12:24 AM

You're joking...right? The Lews is a chunk of average. Lol. And it doesn't weigh less. It weighs more. The lightest Lews spinning reel is an ultra light 1000 size. Yes, the tiny ultralight is lighter than my 2500 size reel. The same size reels from Lews are heavier. Apples to apples or it's a waste of a debate.

The Lews is an inferior design. It is aerodynamically unable to take up line without inducing twist. The rotor causes turbulence that slings the line onto the spool instead of lay it on evenly. The bail wire bearing is a joke. I can go on. But, I won't. I really AM a fan of Lews. It's just sad that their fixed spool reels are so bad. They really make a GREAT bait caster.

Also, Shimano comes with all the proper shims and instructions on how to tune the rotor/spool tolerances to have PERFECT line lay. The Lews? Nope. The Shimano has a REAL braid ready spool, the Lews has a thick, poor fitting chunk of hard rubber they claim makes the spool "braid ready". Oh. And the chunk of rubber weights 2 ounces. Lol. Add that to the already heavier Lews. Haha.

Sorry. I did bash some more. But, I did mention that the bait casters are great. In fact, i think they are worth twice what they cost. The fixed spool reels? I had mine for about two weeks and traded it in at southwest service. I hated that reel, and it was the "best" from Lews. What a let down.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 12:32 AM

I handle the mentioned reels on a daily basis as well as okuma,Abu,Mitchell,penn,etc.Google the weight specs yourself.and lews 1000 isn't an ultralight reel at all. It's on the a we Fran as the 2000 with a smaller spool. They Could interchange actually.I also see what sells most and what need repair most. Like I said before,both are a great reel. Most expensive is not always the best and I'll leave that at that.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 12:35 AM

Interesting topic, I was planning on purchasing a lews spinning reel. Nice to see others feedback.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 12:42 AM

Don't have to Google it. I have them in front of me. Lol. But to say "it's user error" without knowing me or my abilities to use a fixed spool reel is kinda lame. And to toss out specs without "Googling" them correctly first is about as bad.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Just stating that I feel the reels are NOT a quality design. It just kinda blows that Lews makes such a great bait caster and when you are happy with them, you assume they would have a quality fixed spool. But, they don't. Well....I guess I should say they don't make fixed spool reels that are anywhere as good as their bait casters.

If I was in a pinch, it's nice to know I could buy the SGH at Walmart for $49. But, I'd save my receipt. Lol.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 01:23 AM

And the shimano in that size is still 7oz...line twist has nothing to do with the reel. It has to do with the line,the direction it was put on,and the quantity of the line. .3 oz more isn't enough weight to notice a difference. I'll just keep catching fish on my "cheap" and "heavy" sgh that I have no problems at all with line twist. Hell maybe I'll pick up three more since they're only $59.99.. I'll also start telling people when they come in to buy another not to buy it because of all you're mentioned flaws and poor design. for such a crappy reel I figure I wouldn't sell as many as I do or have customers return to buy more.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 03:35 AM

Yes. Line twist is DIRECTLY effected by the quality of the reel. And if .3oz isn't anything to worry about, take a 3/8 tungsten weight to the forehead! Haha. I bet you will notice it. Lol. The real benefit of the .3oz weight savings is in the balance of the overall rod/reel. And it also makes the reel MUCH more stable when taking in line. The inertia of the heavier weight rotor will sling line and it will also make working baits more of a chore. But, it doesn't matter. Line twist is all in the way it's spooled onto the reel the first time (haha) and it is totally eliminated on cheap reels with expensive line. hammer
And weight doesn't mean anything. We all know that. thumb

Man. Im done. Haha. You win.
Posted By: Zach Attack!

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 05:11 AM

popcorn2
Posted By: waderaider

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 10:39 AM

An egg beater is an egg beater. Steez I don't know what your drinking or smoking but all spinning reels operate the same. doesn't matter what brand. your personal preference is yours and yours alone. to say one spinning reel causes line twist and another brand doesn't is just plane false. the operation is the same the laying of the line on the spool is the same with slight variations in ratio and how the bale moves to lay the line on the spool but the operation is the same. line twist comes from how the line was placed on the reel and what baits your throwing. I bought a lews 300 which I purchased to throw small hard baits for trout under the lights at the coast and to throw finesse baits for bass. had over a year and it has performed flawlessly. every angler has his preference and price point. though I can purchase any reel I want I have converted to all lews baitcasters for salt and bass and purchased the 300 having been impressed with the baitcast series and have not had any regrets.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 12:09 PM

Glad it worked out for you. I wish it did for me. I also own some Lews reels and wanted to give them more money, just couldn't do it. Something about a clunky reel that laid line heavy to one end of the spool mounted to a GLX didn't seem appropriate.

Maybe it was me. I spooled the Lews with Samurai 30lb. The Shimano I traded for came spooled with 30lb Samurai. Maybe I caused all the problems. All I know is I really really like the Shimano better. And to me, it cost less than a Lews. I traded a rod I got through accommodation to a TFF forum member (yes, it was ok to do so...). So, I'm not biased due to invested money. I am only speaking on actual results from usage. If you don't want to hear it. Don't. Haha. I choose to not hear things all the time. cheers
Posted By: FireFarmer

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 01:10 PM

argue...I wish I had one or both of these reels so I could weigh in as well, I like a good argument...but I'll just sit back and watch this one! food

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 01:40 PM

I would certainly hope that reel B would perform better than reel A when reel B costs 2.5 times what reel A does. Shimano has set the standard for spinning reel quality and function and I have happily used them for years. But, to say that the Lews HS is a piece of junk is just pretentious and false. But, I suppose we should all appreciate your assessment since you're a future BASS AOY. Jerk.
Posted By: BASSIC

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 01:56 PM

Shimano all that way!
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 02:12 PM

I own a stradic and the all black lews(think its the tournament version). Line twist is inherent to spinning reels like backlashes are to baitcasters. If it were a problem there wouldn't be so many elite series guys using the lews and W&M. As stated earlier it is user error that mostly leads to both. I hardly throw the fairy wand but the two I have are just fine. You'll like the lews, take the extra $$ and get some lures or a better rod(thats whats more important with a spinning outfit anyways).
Posted By: waderaider

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 02:13 PM

no harm no foul Steez. I spooled mine with 20lb power pro with 20lb flouro leader attached with improved Albright knot. braid typically will not line twist on the spinner. mono will twist after use and dependent on type of bait thrown. line twist can be mitigated and removed by letting out the line and placing back on spool without any thing on the end. works real well out of a moving boat. to bayou Burner I believe you will be happy with the reel you have purchased whether for fresh or salt. Price point is price point each manufacture has its own design tweeks. there is name also which we all pay for for different products. shimano is good as you can get but I have retired most my calcutta's because of the weight and performance of the lews. I have tried the Diawa saltwater series baitcaster and was not impressed with its performance and diawa is a good brand.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the debated argumentive replys...lol.(Kidding) Im actually using it for light duty Salt and finnese.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 02:37 PM

Y if I don't like it, I can always send it back for a Shimano or Diawa... The oversized bail is why I wasss interested in this reel. was
Posted By: Harvardag

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 03:02 PM

I don't have any experience with Lew's spinning reels, but I strongly recommend the Pfleuger Supreme. It's 99$ and has a 6.2/1 gear ratio. It's also very light. I bought two of them for my wife and she loves them.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 03:07 PM

I have both and prefer the Shimano but not disappointed in the Lews. I feel the same about bait casters also. I prefer my Curados over the BB1&BB2 I have but I dont dislike the Lew's.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
I would certainly hope that reel B would perform better than reel A when reel B costs 2.5 times what reel A does. Shimano has set the standard for spinning reel quality and function and I have happily used them for years. But, to say that the Lews HS is a piece of junk is just pretentious and false. But, I suppose we should all appreciate your assessment since you're a future BASS AOY. Jerk.

Personal attacks. Gotta love the Internet. I bet your [censored] would still think I'm a jerk in person, but I know your [censored] wouldn't have the balls to say it where I could hear it. Lol.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude

Personal attacks. Gotta love the Internet. I bet your [censored] would still think I'm a jerk in person, but I know your [censored] wouldn't have the balls to say it where I could hear it. Lol.

Carefull Steez, your character is showing. When you respond to questions with an arrogant and insulting tone you should expect something similar in return. Resorting to violent threats is only further evidence that your position is a weak one.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 07:20 PM

I had one of the Lews Spinning Reels I got dirt cheap and it was a decent reel until I smashed the bail under my trolling motor mount frown
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 07:50 PM

Steez seems to be working through some personal issues.... We should give him some space.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: I'm The Dude
Steez seems to be working through some personal issues.... We should give him some space.

Re: Lew's Spinning Reels - 08/05/15 11:26 PM

It's the heat.

Haha.

Can't even jump in the water to cool off.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum