Texas Fishing Forum

Need opinions on bass boat

Posted By: krb017

Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:07 PM

Looking to buy a used or new rig. Would like to hear input on which brand everyone likes the best. Currently run a Triton.

Thanks
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:11 PM

That's a really hard question to answer. Everyone is going to post their favorite brand, but it all depends what you want/need.

Do you want a large boat with a huge deck? Or something smaller? Are you running rough water most of the time? Is money an issue?

I personally run a Ranger Z520 and absolutely love it and will probably buy another Ranger. The fit and finish seems to be the best to me.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:15 PM

I want a 20' with big deck space that can handle rough water. I was thinking Ranger or Triton
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:16 PM

Phoenix 920
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: krb017
I want a 20' with big deck space that can handle rough water. I was thinking Ranger or Triton

Skeeter iclass would be my choice.
Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:25 PM

Don't know where your at but if your close to fork and want to ride in a FX20 skeeter let me know be happy to put her through the paces for you. Its almost like owning a giant jet ski that you can fish in! I love it. Phoenix makes a good boat too but the skeeter handles the rough stuff just a touch better IMO. Slightly better hole shot too I think.
Posted By: Cpace

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:27 PM

Me personally after owning a Triton, I don't think they are that great in rough water. May have been my boat/the driver but my Cat is 10 times better.

Its honestly a ford/chevy debate when it comes to what brand. Me, I will always own a Bass Cat.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:31 PM

I used to be very impressed with Triton when I was a young boy living in Longview, back when they came out and hit the shows they were the hot ticket for a minute, but I feel like they haven't ages very gracefully, and while used they represent a good value in many ways the new boats don't stand up dollar for dollar against the competition.

Buying new or used, as someone who cares about having a fast stable rig that is thoughtfully layed out (design>deckspace overall imo) I would be HARD pressed not to check out blazer bass boats as I've seen them on the web and in person and spoken to owners who are on their 2nd or even 3rd rig from them and are happy as heck. I also have been really impressed with the ride and fit and finish of a lot of the charger boats I see, those things are tanks. If they crash tested boats, I bet they'd come out very high! haha

Of course any of the big names will be reputable for a reason and have quality craftsmanship for the most part... Legend, Ranger, Pheonix, Basscat, etc. the list goes on from top tier to mid pack, just depends on what you truly want in a rig, which will make you happiest.

Like I said, first and foremost for me are layout, speed, stability, and ride quality. Anything beyond a certain level will be well within the realm of acceptable speed so that is *mostly* negligible. Layout is HUGE though, some items are complete deal breakers while others mean nothing to me, and each buyer is different. Ride quality means a lot for many of us with injuries etc. to cope with rough water, of course any 20'+ boat ought to negate that mostly as well, so it will come down to layout and handling for the large part, and what optional goodies they have for your desires as well. You can always change accessories though, remember to buy the boat not the trinkets noidea
Posted By: Phoenixbird721

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:33 PM

Phoenix no doubt. Pick a rough day and test the phoenix up against the other boats brands.
Posted By: John P085

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:36 PM

Ranger hands down...

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:42 PM

Thank y'all for the quick responses! I was curious about Skeeter. I have toured their facility in Kilgore and love them, but after seeing so many for sale it made me question their dependability. Billy I may take you up on that offer. Phoenix does seem to be blowing up big time too. Its crazy how many options there are.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:52 PM

Thank y'all for the quick responses! I was curious about Skeeter. I have toured their facility in Kilgore and love them, but after seeing so many for sale it made me question their dependability. Billy I may take you up on that offer. Phoenix does seem to be blowing up big time too. Its crazy how many options there are.

You are seeing so many for sale because they have sold so many here in this area. Trust me, I went through the exact same thing about 9 moths ago. Actually had already ruled out Skeeter just based on advice from others....... then I drove one. SOLD. I love my Skeeter. Rides like a dream, handles well, and fishes like the deck of an aircraft carrier; and this being Skeeter country, resale is fantastic. I have fished 3 grown men on it no problem and more than enough room. Absolutely a great boat. But test drive several brands, you may like something else. And don't forget resale value, some other brands will struggle in this category. Just MHO

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:57 PM

Frank the Tank, great response man. thank you. Which rig are you running?

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:57 PM

Here's a little hint on the number of skeeters for sale on here. This forum is predominantly used by dfw and east Texas folks more than other areas. The owners tournament is here, the factory is here and any weekend on fork will show you that there are just that many more in use around here. I fished in a Phoenix last year and got my skeeter this Feb. Nothing wrong with a Phoenix but I will be looking for another fx when the time comes.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 09:58 PM

Frank the tank got me while I was typing
Posted By: stetson

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 10:00 PM

If you want a big deck in a 20' boat I'd go with the legend v20 the most comfortable boat I've ever fished out of
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 10:01 PM

Just buy a Phoenix bro and you wont be disappointed. There's a reason that they are the fastest growing bass boat company in the world right now.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 10:08 PM

Frank the Tank, great response man. thank you. Which rig are you running?

I have a 2000 ZX202c w/ a 225 EFI. You really should take Billy up on his offer to test drive. And let me say this, Phoenix builds a crazy good boat. You should try them too. Everyone will have a different opinion. I'm a Skeeter guy, they sold me. Others are Rangers guys, they make a great boat obviously, and there are lots of guys on here that run Rangers. BassCat makes a great boat, I just hated the forward trolling motor foot pedal, and that was a big enough deal for me to not buy, but they make a great boat. Ride in Billy's Skeeter, ask Papa Mark to take you for a ride in his Phoenix. He's a good guy and makes a mean spinnerbait too. You'll figure it out by seat time, but again, don't discount re-sale value. You gotta do your research on the world wide web there, and it becomes pretty obvious who the choices are.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 10:11 PM

All top names make great boats, buy the one you like. If you toured skeeter and like them, buy a new or used skeeter. Also, on their home turf, and more for sale used is a good sign and great advantage for a buyer, not a downside in nay way. Also check out dealer support network for anything you buy, having a dealer close by is always nice for the non-mechanically inclined folk.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

You are seeing so many for sale because they have sold so many here in this area. Trust me, I went through the exact same thing about 9 moths ago. Actually had already ruled out Skeeter just based on advice from others....... then I drove one. SOLD. I love my Skeeter. Rides like a dream, handles well, and fishes like the deck of an aircraft carrier; and this being Skeeter country, resale is fantastic. I have fished 3 grown men on it no problem and more than enough room. Absolutely a great boat. But test drive several brands, you may like something else. And don't forget resale value, some other brands will struggle in this category. Just MHO

like he said, they are made in Texas and a ton of them sold here. Some people sale their skeeters and get rangers, some people sale their Rangers and get skeeters.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 10:50 PM

I'm not a big fan of Skeeters at all. My dad owned 2 and they were both poorly designed compared to the Triton I have now. Maybe the newer ones are better...?

Anyway, my vote for for Ranger or Triton. I don't like the Bass Cat look or layout. I don't know anything about Phoenix. Ranger & Triton both have huge front decks, good layouts, and excellent hulls. Neither seem to be the absolute best in rough water, but both are more than service-able. The ones that are better in rough water have small decks, bad layouts, or other problems that are less forgivable.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 11:12 PM

Look at the new BassCat Caracal. Just a couple inches short of 20 feet, but has a big front deck!
Posted By: CB2011

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 11:35 PM

I have a 2013 521 for sale with plenty warranty and under 100 hours I'll make you a deal on.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/03/15 11:49 PM

Funny how these things go over the years. A couple of years ago on here, there would be a half dozen threads crowing about Legend boats and now you hardly hear a peep. Phoenix and BassCat seem to be the more talked about brands now. Just my observation, but that is the way it seems to be. I really like Legend and Phoenix has done a great job. Of course it is hard to go wrong with Skeeter or Ranger for quality. Lots of options.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:24 AM

They all have a couple of things in common.

They are ridiculously priced.
They don't ride as good as their owners claim.

Try them out. Look them over and get what's best for you.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:36 AM

I have a 921 Phoenix and would be glad to take you for a ride in it on Fork also. I believe if you ride in a Phoenix, you will buy Phoenix. I had a 2012 Z522 that is 22'4" long and weight 1940# and run 67 with two people and loaded for fishing. The 921 is 21'6" long and weights 1950# or 10# more then the 22 foot Range but it will run 74 with two people and loaded. I have a buddy that runs the 21FX, he was in it by his self and me and a buddy ran by him on Fork a few months ago. The Phoenix will out ride and out drive the FX hands down. The Skeeter is a good boat but if you want the best boat out there go for a ride with me and I will let you drive it for you to see. I will tell you this everyone that has come out of the boats mention above after a test drive, usually say something along the line, that they wished they had bought a Phoenix. I will be glad to get with you if you want just give me a PM and we can get together. You will never look back if you do, and it has the best lay out of any boat out their. IMHO
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:37 AM

I've ridden in just about every brand out there other than this new Phoenix brand. There are only two brands I will own, Skeeter or Ranger. There are several boats I couldn't get out of quick enough but I'll keep that to myself as to not offend someone who has spent there life savings on one.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:54 AM

Thanks Billy, I should have realized that. Makes sense! Y'all are doing some good Skeeter work on me.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 01:02 AM

I bought a ranger because I fish Fork almost exclusively, Diamond Sports Marine is about 1 mile from my
RV, so customer service and support is huge.. My wife saw the commercial where they cut the hole in the bottom of the Ranger and it don't sink, that was a number one for her..Resale value is also something to consider,..Ranger holds its resale better than the rest.
Too me Ranger rides quieter, and feels stronger built. I think Ranger is what is used to compare other boats too.
jim

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 01:37 AM

Thanks Jim. I have been in a Ranger before and they really do feel well built, but that was years ago. I know they handle rough water great as well. During my Skeeter tour, they said Skeeter is US Coast Guard approved where they won't sink as well.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
I have a 921 Phoenix and would be glad to take you for a ride in it on Fork also. I believe if you ride in a Phoenix, you will buy Phoenix. I had a 2012 Z522 that is 22'4" long and weight 1940# and run 67 with two people and loaded for fishing. The 921 is 21'6" long and weights 1950# or 10# more then the 22 foot Range but it will run 74 with two people and loaded. I have a buddy that runs the 21FX, he was in it by his self and me and a buddy ran by him on Fork a few months ago. The Phoenix will out ride and out drive the FX hands down. The Skeeter is a good boat but if you want the best boat out there go for a ride with me and I will let you drive it for you to see. I will tell you this everyone that has come out of the boats mention above after a test drive, usually say something along the line, that they wished they had bought a Phoenix. I will be glad to get with you if you want just give me a PM and we can get together. You will never look back if you do, and it has the best lay out of any boat out their. IMHO

this is why you have to shop your preferences before you make the kind of investment it takes to get into these machines. here is a guy who swears by the pheonix over the fx skeeter, and i fished with a tourney partner last year in a pheonix, sat behind the wheel as much as the passengers seat, and now swear by skeeter. you got to check them all out for yourself after you've narrowed it down a little.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 02:26 AM

[quote=krb017]I want a 20' with big deck space that can handle rough water. I was thinking Ranger or Triton [/quot

Triton 20 XS or 20 TRX, can't go wrong there.
Posted By: Grant2

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 02:53 AM

If Skeeter would put a Mercury on back I would look at one. I like the Bass Cat FTD Puma nice right great layout and a very good ride.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Billy_Lawson

this is why you have to shop your preferences before you make the kind of investment it takes to get into these machines. here is a guy who swears by the pheonix over the fx skeeter, and i fished with a tourney partner last year in a pheonix, sat behind the wheel as much as the passengers seat, and now swear by skeeter. you got to check them all out for yourself after you've narrowed it down a little.

Yea and I have Skeeter guys in my boat that wished they hadn't bought a FX, If he rides in a Phoenix and Skeeter he will buy the Phoenix better lay out and ride.

Also I drive a Phoenix not a Pheonix if you get in a Phoenix you may have like it over the Pheonix LOL
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 03:43 AM

Here's a little hint on the number of skeeters for sale on here. This forum is predominantly used by dfw and east Texas folks more than other areas. The owners tournament is here, the factory is here and any weekend on fork will show you that there are just that many more in use around here. I fished in a Phoenix last year and got my skeeter this Feb. Nothing wrong with a Phoenix but I will be looking for another fx when the time comes.

This is why I want a skeeter. Plus I have fished out of a skeeter, triton, ranger, and Phoenix. There are some great deals on newly used skeeter boats. I would to fish the owners tournament. Plus with everything being local to north Texas if you had an issue it would be easy to get the problem resolved. I have not looked at what model year the SHO has known issues but have not heard anything about the newer models. As soon as it makes sense and the wife gives me the okay, I will be in the market for a skeeter.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 04:56 AM

the boat bickering is plenty fellas, lets not start the whole grammar/ spelling thing. and btw 921 phoenix, i drove the 921 phoenix for a year and after one trip in a fx i changed my mind, so it can go either way. i think my foot shorter fx20 drives better than the 921 proxp did in the slop. top speed in calm conditions i would give edge to 921, but how often do we have that in texas? i feel more stable in chop to rough water plus feel like the fx20 handles better and has ever so slightly better hole shot. both boats i have experience in had 250 sho.

we should race sometime!!! lol
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:05 AM

So a 21 foot 6 inch Phoenix "fully loaded" (40-50 gal fuel, two 200lb men, and livewells full as well as full compliment of tackle) will run 74 mph this time of year with 90+ degree water?

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:08 AM

under the right water conditions i will verify his claim, they are super fast at top end but pucker factor was always higher than i liked it over 70

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:10 AM

btw, the fx 20 went 72 fully loaded last saturday. should be a good race if we ever get to do it!!

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:14 AM

I would like to see a heavy boat like the Phoenix with water temps over 80 degrees run in the mid 70s, maybe in 45-60 degree water...

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I would like to see a heavy boat like the Phoenix with water temps over 80 degrees run in the mid 70s, maybe in 45-60 degree water...

I know my Triton 21 TRX will not run that and they are regarded as one of the fastest bass boats out there, not including the go fast boats. It will run 75 loaded in the spring, maybe 72 now, maybe.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:45 PM

Ok whenever you ready let me know. I will show you 73 - 74mph every day of the week in my 921 in the conditions you mentioned. I'm on Toledo Bend every other weekend so just let me know if you want to take that ride.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 12:46 PM

Doug I had it to 73 two weeks ago in 91 degree water. The next time I am down if you are around come drive it. Doug if we go to a 920 which is 20'6" boat it will do the 76MPH loaded with two men all day, may be faster then that the 920 is right close to the Cats. I am not sure if they will be as fast but they are close. The 920 in the winter will do 80+.

Billy if you don't want the bickering you shouldn't call people out on here. I believe a good debate is wanted and needed, but you don't have to call out other people for giving their opinion. I have people that love their Skeeter FX but do admit my 921 is a much better ride. They also understand that if you drive a Phoenix like you do a Skeeter the Phoenix will ride rough and will walk on top end. The Phoenix does not like being trim that much if you drive it like the hulls need to be driven their is no comparison. Their is not a softer ride out their then the Phoenix. The Phoenix will not pound your back like the Skeeter on the rough stuff. This is exactly the reason he should drive both and with someone that understands the Phoenix hull so he won't have to take the beating in the wind. The Skeeter is a good boat but it will not ride like the Phoenix.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 01:03 PM

Doug I had it to 73 two weeks ago in 91 degree water. The next time I am down if you are around come drive it. Doug if we go to a 920 which is 20'6" boat it will do the 76MPH loaded with two men all day, may be faster then that the 920 is right close to the Cats. I am not sure if they will be as fast but they are close. The 920 in the winter will do 80+.

Billy if you don't want the bickering you shouldn't call people out on here. I believe a good debate is wanted and needed, but you don't have to call out other people for giving their opinion. I have people that love their Skeeter FX but do admit my 921 is a much better ride. They also understand that if you drive a Phoenix like you do a Skeeter the Phoenix will ride rough and will walk on top end. The Phoenix does not like being trim that much if you drive it like the hulls need to be driven their is no comparison. Their is not a softer ride out their then the Phoenix. The Phoenix will not pound your back like the Skeeter on the rough stuff. This is exactly the reason he should drive both and with someone that understands the Phoenix hull so he won't have to take the beating in the wind. The Skeeter is a good boat but it will not ride like the Phoenix.
That is all your opinion. Everyone has a right to one. Billy didn't call you out. He specifically told the OP that opinions can go both ways - some folks see a phoenix and fx and like the phoenix and some see them both and like the fx, and the OP needs to go check them both out and decide for himself. You, on the other hand, continue stating your opinion as fact and calling out Billy. Are you the pot or kettle...?

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

That is all your opinion. Everyone has a right to one. Billy didn't call you out. He specifically told the OP that opinions can go both ways - some folks see a phoenix and fx and like the phoenix and some see them both and like the fx, and the OP needs to go check them both out and decide for himself. You, on the other hand, continue stating your opinion as fact and calling out Billy. Are you the pot or kettle...?

You are still upset over when you PM me a few weeks ago I asked you then and will restate please do not contact me. He did call me out on a thread above when he used my post to try and make his opinion.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 01:41 PM

Guys, I like the debate and appreciate the input. I understand that its all personal preference. Y'all have convinced me to test drive a skeeter and phoenix. I have been in a 01 Tr20 since 05 and its been beating me to death since day one. It's been a good boat for me, but I'm ready for something I feel safe in when there's more than a little chop.
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Cpace
Me personally after owning a Triton, I don't think they are that great in rough water. May have been my boat/the driver but my Cat is 10 times better.

Its honestly a ford/chevy debate when it comes to what brand. Me, I will always own a Bass Cat.

Bass Cat Forever...I'm amazed how well they handle water.
95 Pantera 2..200 Merc
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 02:23 PM

This one can

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 02:39 PM

I think there may be a misunderstanding here 921. The original reply to your post was simply meant as a point to the op that here is two examples of opinions going the opposite directions on boat brands. I have not knocked phoenix in anyway. Just simply stated my preference. I apologize if I came across as calling you out bud. Did not mean it that way at all. I happen to think you have an awesome boat, just the 2nd best in my humble opinion as far as ride goes. If it is because of my driving style then that's why I prefer the one I do, cause that's how I drive I guess.

BTW I really would like to line them up because they are both fast I can vouch. I think it would be fun as heck to run them side by side.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 03:24 PM

I'm just here to confirm that my 14 921, 2 8' poles, 2nd time in it, manual jackplate, 250# driver, topped off tank, loaded, 100* outside, 90* water, 250 proxs, 25p fury, hit 72, on Rayburn, before I got uncomfortable.

She has more. thumb

Carry on.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 04:48 PM

It doesn't matter what everybody says on this site. Test drive and fish a little from the front of the brands and models you're interested in, and then make your decision. I guarantee once you make your purchase, you'll be on a thread like this arguing how you have the greatest boat. Boats and speed do not catch fish or win tournaments, you as an angler do.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 04:57 PM

Love bass boat opinion threads. Unless you plan on owning this boat for 10 years, I would highly encourage you to check out resale value. Boats aren't an investment, they are a depreciating asset. Sure, each boat has its pro's and con's, but most operate within a certain level of performance. You will not be terribly disappointed with any of the larger named brands in relation to performance. As usual, be prepared to deal with a million different opinions. Keep in my, most people don't have their boats set up the same. Some will hate the way a boat rides, but they might need a jack plate adjustment or a different prop. Some have their boats set up to peak ability and know how to drive them. Some people are blinded by brand loyalty. Blah Blah Blah. Do some home work and see how much the price of a specific brand drops after 2-3 years. Clearly, be aware that engines also play a major factor in resale value. Good luck!
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TdRoss
Love bass boat opinion threads. Unless you plan on owning this boat for 10 years, I would highly encourage you to check out resale value. Boats aren't an investment, they are a depreciating asset. Sure, each boat has its pro's and con's, but most operate within a certain level of performance. You will not be terribly disappointed with any of the larger named brands in relation to performance. As usual, be prepared to deal with a million different opinions. Keep in my, most people don't have their boats set up the same. Some will hate the way a boat rides, but they might need a jack plate adjustment or a different prop. Some have their boats set up to peak ability and know how to drive them. Some people are blinded by brand loyalty. Blah Blah Blah. Do some home work and see how much the price of a specific brand drops after 2-3 years. Clearly, be aware that engines also play a major factor in resale value. Good luck!

Quoted for truth.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: TdRoss

Buying a toy based on anything but how much you will enjoy that toy is stupid. This is Texas Fishing Forum, not Texas Investment Bankers Forum. I would just as much care how much the second owner of a boat will like the color I pick out as what it'll be worth when I am done with it... who gives a darn? You buy what you are comfortable spending and get what you want the most in that budget. It isn't a depreciating asset. It's an entertainment expense. Maybe that'll help skew your perspective for a nice little paradigm shift.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 05:48 PM

Heavy A$$ 20i may not hit 72 right now with 90* water but it will hit 69/70 and want get you uncomfortable, what's 2 mph if you butt is biting the seat!

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 06:06 PM

I know when the water gets above 80 I tend to lose 6-8 MPH. I do switch to a smaller 26P prop in the summer and that accounts for some loss.

My boat will run 81-83 in the cooler water and 79-80 loaded with full live wells.

My hull weighs 1725 lbs and I have 2 power poles, 4 heavy batteries and a very heavy load. I can hit 75-76 in perfect conditions loaded down this time of year. I'm sure I could cut 150-200 lbs of tackle easily and pick up a coupe more MPHs.

That's impressive in a larger and heavier boat.
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 06:58 PM

hung

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 07:23 PM

76.4 on GPS loaded with two people in my 721, with plenty left to go. That was in 90 degree water on rayburn with a slight chop. My driving skills aren't that good yet. These birds fly!

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 07:31 PM

jesus.... ARE YALL RACING OR FISHING?

I thought the question was about bass boats... for fishing.... how do they fish? How shallow do they draft? How well do they hold position in strong winds, how wet are they parked in big waves or riding across them? How much gear do they hold? Do they have any with built in toilets yet?

Sound like some broken records in here... by all means, yall fight to the death over which brand you spent a fortune on is better (the differences are probably largely negligible) but at least discuss some other aspects of the boats... 70+ is 70+, and I've ridden in plenty of fast bass rigs, and with very few drivers who regularly went beyond that mark regardless of capability of the rig. Who cares what it does on paper or twice a year when you prove a point to someone? fish
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

You are seeing so many for sale because they have sold so many here in this area.

This is true, skeeter is regionally strong because they're locally built here. Your really just going to have to go test drive a few different brands to get it right, coming out of a triton I would think ranger might be good fit for you but you won't know until you test one, legend and phoenix seems to be a hot brands right now like triton was in the 90's, but will they keep their looks after they age?, triton didn't. IMO I would narrow it down to Ranger, Basscat, and Skeeter, they are the three longest lived bassboat companies and likely not going the way of the dinasaur like some many brands have the last 20 years, if you look at the average life length of a bass boat company startd after 1980 its not pretty.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 08:25 PM

Only thing comparable in a triton and phoenix is maybe speed. Phoenix has a very sturdy removable console, both being totally enclosed. No hanging wires everywhere. It take 15 seconds to change the side console, also more storage than imaginable. Very co angler friendly as well with rod locker on the side and strap on top. Multiple places throughout the boat to hold tools and pliers for simple easy access. The draft of the phoenix is excellent as I fish the neches around setx with alot of shallow water. As far as rough water, I truly believe there is no equal. My wife went with me to rayburn a month ago, that afternoon we had 3-4ft waves. She never once told me to slow down or held on. That's the truth about my phoenix.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/04/15 09:21 PM

Looking to buy a used or new rig. Would like to hear input on which brand everyone likes the best. Currently run a Triton.

Thanks

KRB,
The two boats you mention here in the OP are two of the top boat manufactures that I consider being in the top five. Rangers are and really are on the top and have been for many years when you talk about Quality, stability and finish. Not the fastest boat on the water, with that being said they have set the standard on the three things I just mentioned. Tritons are right there with them along with the Skeeters of the world and Basscats. Legends basically the old hawk boats are making a move with their new v20, excellent boats, but you really need to look at the history of the resale value of these and how hard they are to get out of them. I know that this next opinion will not be very favorable with the phoenix guys, but don't think they should even be in the conversation with the top five or six boat manufactures, and yes I have been in them and have fished out them enough to make a call on them. Just don't see it. IMHO

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 12:53 AM

Im surprised there hasn't been more people talking about Triton. I guess I'm behind in the bass boat world. I will say that I feel this is a great way to hear the ins and outs of each boat before I step inside one. Y'all are providing some good info.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 01:18 AM

Guys, I like the debate and appreciate the input. I understand that its all personal preference. Y'all have convinced me to test drive a skeeter and phoenix. I have been in a 01 Tr20 since 05 and its been beating me to death since day one. It's been a good boat for me, but I'm ready for something I feel safe in when there's more than a little chop.

I had a 98 that about beat me to death, trust me, the 2005 and newer are completely different boats, they ride extremely well, and run like a bat out of hell.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 02:01 AM

Cajun or a Legend. Your choice really. Everything else is garbage.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 03:05 AM

Ok. I can agree on Legend.... But Cajun.....come on man.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 01:31 PM

My dads first boat, a 1980 Cajun, is sitting in our yard...cant let it go. Used it up until 2013. That boat gave me and my family many memories.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 01:49 PM

If you have been running that Triton for a while I'd suggest looking at something that is very similar in layout. I've owned 4 rigs in my lifetime and all 4 where configured with the rod box on the port side of the front deck. I like having my rigs that way so I can access my rods in a hurry with out having to step off of the deck to get to them. This is one of the reasons I like the Skeeter line. That's just one thing but to me it is a big factor......My two cents

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1

Thanks

KRB,
The two boats you mention here in the OP are two of the top boat manufactures that I consider being in the top five. Rangers are and really are on the top and have been for many years when you talk about Quality, stability and finish. Not the fastest boat on the water, with that being said they have set the standard on the three things I just mentioned. Tritons are right there with them along with the Skeeters of the world and Basscats. Legends basically the old hawk boats are making a move with their new v20, excellent boats, but you really need to look at the history of the resale value of these and how hard they are to get out of them. I know that this next opinion will not be very favorable with the phoenix guys, but don't think they should even be in the conversation with the top five or six boat manufactures, and yes I have been in them and have fished out them enough to make a call on them. Just don't see it. IMHO

I find this very comical. I switched from a bass cat jaguar to the Phoenix 921. The Jag was a really good boat. The Phoenix is a great boat. Better than the cat in so many ways that I wont begin to list them. My dad is in a four year old 20' ranger and has decided to go Phoenix next year after spending a number of hours in mine. I do prefer his Ranger though over the Bass Cat Jaguar that I owned.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
If you have been running that Triton for a while I'd suggest looking at something that is very similar in layout. I've owned 4 rigs in my lifetime and all 4 where configured with the rod box on the port side of the front deck. I like having my rigs that way so I can access my rods in a hurry with out having to step off of the deck to get to them. This is one of the reasons I like the Skeeter line. That's just one thing but to me it is a big factor......My two cents

I have never had to step off the deck to get rods out of a rod box. Doesn't matter which side it is on.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

You are still upset over when you PM me a few weeks ago I asked you then and will restate please do not contact me. He did call me out on a thread above when he used my post to try and make his opinion.
I forgot about that; it must have gotten to you enough for you to remember it though. You stated your opinion as fact on my thread about Dobyns just like you're stating your opinion as fact on this thread. You appear wrong on both counts IMHO, but I can agree to disagree. You seem to be unwilling to concede that people can have different opinions and both believe them to be the truth.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 05:21 PM

To the OP - there are a lot of great boats out there new and used. Do not get in a hurry to buy a boat. If you get into a hurry, you will get bit. Shop around, drive and fish out of as many as you can. What one person likes about one boat might be different to another person. Shop around and buy what you like. That will be the best boat for you. Good luck - Rodney
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 06:06 PM

All men like bragging about their decks and how their girl rides, some handle the rough stuff, some don't, some provide a wide ride, some don't! Its really just comes down to personal preference, and what you think of her ride.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 07:05 PM

If it flies, floats or ____s it will eventually need fixing...
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 07:12 PM

I have a friend that always used to say..... If it flies, floats or ____s..... RENT IT!

Way cheaper that way.

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/05/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

I have a friend that always used to say..... If it flies, floats or ____s..... RENT IT!

Way cheaper that way.

thumb
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/06/15 02:26 AM

I'm so glad there is so many options for us to choose from! We are truely blessed that each manufacturer "pushes" the other for improvement. Everyone likes something different. Lots of good boats on the market these days. Only you can choose what fits your needs. Good luck! And whatever you choose, have a blast! They are all money-pits. Well worth it though!!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/06/15 02:43 AM

My next boat will be a Skeeter again!!
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/06/15 02:46 AM

[quote=BasscatRonnie]My next boat will be a Skeeter again!! [/quote

You will have to change your name to skeeter ronnie!
Posted By: BBBAngler

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/06/15 03:09 AM

Legend 211
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/06/15 01:56 PM

You should really look at and ride in a Legend V-20.
Not the fastest by any means but great ride and fishing platform with the best deck layout IMHO.
Contact Billy at Sartins marine or PM me when your in East Texas and I'll be more that happy to demo one.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/06/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer
I'm so glad there is so many options for us to choose from! We are truely blessed that each manufacturer "pushes" the other for improvement. Everyone likes something different. Lots of good boats on the market these days. Only you can choose what fits your needs. Good luck! And whatever you choose, have a blast! They are all money-pits. Well worth it though!!

Well said and isn't that the truth. It seems like there really isn't a totally bad choice out there right now..

I will restate what alot of others have said. Buy the boat that makes you happy. Ride in as many as possible and do your research. Me personally...I run a Nitro. Second one and no major complaints on either. It's not as fancy as a Ranger but it fits all my needs and it's what we could afford. The fish don't care what kind of boat it is so buy what you like.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/07/15 11:12 PM

I have owned a Triton ,Bass Cat. Champion, Skeeter. Im now a Ranger guy and always will be. Everything about them from service to ride,looks just quality. I have no idea how fast it goes. Its fast. There all fast.
Posted By: Fletch

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/08/15 01:36 AM

If you can afford it, new Ranger. I've had many friends that own the other and ALL of those friends have been impressed with my old Ranger and the customer service I have received. I have owned 2 Rangers and can never afford a new one but man have my Rangers been solid and dependable and the Ranger Ride is noticeably different than the others. My friends have newer boats than mine and are always commenting on the ride when they are in mine. Good luck choosing.
Posted By: Txhoghunter

Re: Need opinions on bass boat - 08/08/15 07:26 PM

I have been in a lot of bass boats...a few months ago I started looking for my own and ended up buying a Skeeter. Couldnt be happier. Plenty fast and tons of room....Take some of these guys up on a ride, see what suits you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum