Texas Fishing Forum

What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight?

Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 07:26 PM

Hi! I have been fishing alot and I am sick of hearing about worms. I have tried White, texas toast, and purple worms, I have never caught a bass with an artificial worm. I went and bought these tan ZOOM worms yesterday and some 1/8 weights because I sit there and watched a guy catching fish left and right with this same set up. Is there a scientific explanation using real world facts about fishing with plastics that I am missing? I heard you use different colors in different color water. still I have been several different places and all the water color is pretty much the same. So I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share their experience fishing Lake Arlington or Joe Pool. Any Luck? As a tip from me I have luck with live minnows and a bobber but really only catch smaller fish. I have seen several bass in the water that were in the 5-10 lb range. I have caught only 1 big bass 6 pounds while retrieving a catfish bait.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 07:33 PM

For me, Watermelon red or greenpumpkin seem to work well on the bodies of water I have fished. A good Zoom plastic to use are baby brush hogs, with a 3/0 hook. These seem to work everywhere I have fished
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 07:41 PM

well sounds like you are referring to a Texas rig set up. Weight size really matters for 1 of 2 reasons...depth or casting distance. You want the lightest weight you can have typically. The heavier the weight, the faster it will sink. If you are fishing deep, heavier weights up to about 3/4oz....but 1/8-1/2 should do just fine.

Colors matter most because they are supposed to help your baits either "blend in" or "stick out"....most often you want them to resemble bait...whether it's a crawfish, bluegill, shad or worm...either it's really Natural looking or completely sticks out to give a different look.

As far as a worm goes, Zoom makes a ribbon tailed worm and their brush hogs are top notch. Start with those two models. Get them in Watermelon Candy or Red. (the candy is a purple flake and red is red flake obviously).....use this color for just about any clarity of water except stained or murky water. Then you want to use a combination of black/blue or black/purple with those same worms or creature baits.

Look up youtube for "texas rig techniques"...and you will see several ways to fish it.....

good luck!
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 07:51 PM

Natural blue, a color not available in many other plastics from zoom, and as well not commonly replicated, is my #1 favorite/catching-est worm color.. I love natural blue trick worms. They are LETHAL on a drop shot, no need for puny finesse baits, they will catch them big, small, and in numbers. Also weightless, bass will flat out destroy them. Such a fantastic color in clear and stained water
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 08:14 PM

Bill Dance say's always have some blue on your bait.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey
Bill Dance say's always have some blue on your bait.

Cant argue with the man! He gets a 5+lb fish one every cast!

Seriously, I hear a lot about color too, we all do. I say 90% of the time we are too worried about color, fish what you feel confident in.

Sounds like you have no confidence in any of them. Keep at it till you get a few fish then your gonna see that plastics are one of if not THEE best way to catch bass day in and out.

Not that it matters, but my favorite color is California 420.

I think it has blue in it! Ha ha

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 08:26 PM

Thanks for the advice! I am using a spinning reel with 10 LB flourocarbon line. is this ok ? is there a reason to use braided line or something lighter? I wont buy it again it gets twisted easily.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 08:47 PM

That "florida carbon" is great stuff for baitcasters and leaders (depending on composition of flouro selected) but for spinning rods I always recommend using braid main line with a fluoro leader, it is just 1000x easier to manage on spinning gear, stuff is tangleproof.

Properly set up and utilized you can manage mono/copolymer lines 'well enough' but twist will always exist and unlike with braid, it will cause issues from time to time on spinning gear regardless. Otherwise, watch videos on casting technique to help with line twist issues. Start form square one with properly spooling the line the correct direction/orientation. Soaking the spools overnight can also help. Then always be certain to manually close the bail or you will introduce line twist there. Lastly, never reel against drag being pulled out or you will add tons of twist in as well, just properly set drag, and let drag and rod work against the fish and reel between runs.

Otherwise, put on braid, and never worry about anything and handle the spinning gear as poorly as you want with no negative recourse ever woot
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 08:59 PM

I have confidence in just about any Zoom trick worm color. Just don't bring it in too quick.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 09:10 PM

Green pumpkin green is the color that gave me the most confidence in zoom brand worms, however when it comes to a ribbon tail two stand out to me. Culprit, and Rage Tail worms. You can put both on a LIGHT weight T-rig and swim them steady and get bites. And color (as stated) helps blend in, stand out. Sometimes the bass want to see their meal. Sometimes they want it as natural as can be.
Posted By: John P085

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 09:41 PM

Mark what kind of rig is that in your signature? An old Letourneau?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 10:54 PM

Redbug ol monster and 3/8 weight
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 11:08 PM

Black and Blue is pretty much fail proof for the most part. I would start there. As most everyone else has said, outside of that for a stained lake, I like Watermelon or a Junebug color.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 11:43 PM

After dark and in stained water I fish blue, the rest of the time I fish watermelon, June bug, motor oil, pumpkin seed etc..... My worm of choice this time of year is a 10" Lake Fork worm in Fork secret..... And I have a ton of confidence in it.
Posted By: stetson

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/03/15 11:46 PM

Watermelon red and blue fleck hard to beat
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 12:06 AM

If it's cloudy, I like green pumpkin or black. If it's sunny, I like green pumpkin with some flake in it like green pumpkin candy or green pumpkin blue. Green pumpkin red is good too. I like to keep it very simple. Flake is nearly pointless without sunshine, that's why I stick with natural solid colors when it's cloudy.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 12:47 AM

If you cant catch fish on worms, you are likely either going too fast, or you are not setting the hook when they bite.
Both of these can be corrected.
1 worm bites are either on the fall, or while the worm is sitting still. When the worm moves, whether it be a foot or an inch, the bass notice the movement and come to take a look. They will often stare at the bait for a second or 2. If you dont stop the bait, they will more often than not just turn around. In most situations, the longer the pause the better.
2 if you are not setting the hook, you need a better rod to feel the fish, or need practice feeling fish. Rod selection is important. Witha spinning rod, I would set up a shakey head or drop shot. Other wise I would llearn the baitcast. Accurate casts are a must for worm fishing. Throw it right in the middle of a bush or any other cover.
I absolutely love fishing soft plastics and would venture to say color means very little. Buy a pack of senko in any watermelon color, use no weight, fish it so slow it starts to bore you. If you feel a few taps, set the hook with force. If you feel sudden dead weight, set the hook and hold on.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 01:39 AM

Sounds like you are fishing Joe Pool and Lake Arlington--two lakes that can be very difficult--require lots of time on the water to figure them out. These two lakes do not have the clearest water, especially after the flooding earlier this year. I'd go with worms that displace more water (bigger and maybe a tail that flaps) and darker colors
In the zoom family, instead of a finesse worm, I'd go with a zoom UV speed worm in junebug, black sapphire, or blackberry.

I'm a big fan of worms that are two or three different colors, either with a distinctive swirl or a darker color on top and lighter color on bottom.

For whatever reason, Zoom does a nice job with these color schemes on their flukes and brush hogs; but not their worms (except for the new Z3 swamp crawlers--which are a facsimile of a much better worm made by a different company)
Zoom worms will catch fish just fine, but I don't have confidence in them.

On the tacklewarehouse.com site the Big Bite Baits Sugar Cane paddle tail worms are on sale for $2.49 for a ten pack. I'd pick up a pack of the green pumpkin/blue swirl in 5 inch and a pack in 7 inch. Rig them on a light T rig, split shot, shaky head, or crig and fish them slow.

All the best, you will find a plastic worm you like and how you like to fish it; just takes some trial and error.

Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 03:19 AM

watermelon red (clear water)
green pumpkin (light stain to stained)
junebug (stained to heavy stain)
blue fleck (heavy stain to muddy)

I generally like to use these worm colors for a particular color of water. However, usage for worm color to water clarity is not set in stone. Most of these work in various water color types.
Posted By: TempleFlipper

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 06:11 AM

Black brown and green only 3 colors you should ever need. More important to focus on presentation retrieve and pattern the fish are on.
Posted By: LukeAnderson

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 07:48 AM

Watermelon red brotha and green pumpkin orange. (If you can find it) baby brush hogs.

My pops grew up fishin Joe pool. He said they love red soft plastics.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/04/15 11:42 AM

I have had guides at Fork tell me Berkley Blue Fleck Power Worms day in and day out have caught more fish than any other worm. I like and use Zoom products but hard to beat Blue Fleck Power Worms you might want to give them a try.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/05/15 02:37 AM

Get you some watermelon/red and green pumpkin brush hogs. That's a great bait to start with and they catch fish good luck
Posted By: the catcher

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 08/05/15 02:50 AM

Berkeley 7" Power Worm in Black Blue Fleck or motor oil colors. I use a 3/16 oz. tungsten weight. I use a 3/0 Owner Offset Shank Wide Gap Worm Hook with them.

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/19/15 06:33 AM

The rig in my sig was moving when I took the pic I guess it's a jack up rig of some sort. I am figuring out these worm things

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/19/15 06:34 AM

Posted By: Brad R

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/19/15 12:11 PM

Some of you recall a little memory trick from HS biology: Roy G. Biv, a made up name that serves as an acrostic to remember the color spectrum of natural light order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

Starting with red, it has the longest (slowest) wave length . . . all the way in steps down to violet with the shortest. Think rainbows.

The red starts disappearing in water at shallow depths beginning at less than 2 feet. It just becomes gray. Down there at the blue end of the spectrum, those colors hold true deeper.

God only knows how a fish eye works, what it sees. I recall seeing a video of what the world looks like through a cat's eye. Nothing much human about that.

Takeaway: Red, oranges and yellows would be very inconspicuous and just "shades of gray." Greens rather neutral, the blues and darker would hold color the longest (deepest) and thus show the most contrast.

Water, since it is denser than air, takes the longest waves (red) and slows it down so that it loses color the fastest. Scuba divers know this: colors are great to about 40 feet, then it is like color TV going to a black and white.

Just a guess on my part, I haven't research it, but since water continues to "slow down" colors at greater depths, that the colors each revert, through steps, in reverse order as their wavelengths are slowed. So, violet at a certain depth, becomes indigo, then a little deeper becomes blue, then all the way up to red then disappears into shades of grey after a certain depth.

Black and dark colors work well at night, seems almost illogical, because a dark shadow gives the most contrast in dark night water where there is little or no light to reflect.

Summary: clear water lets light penetrate deeper so all colors "hold" deeper; murky waters eliminate light and colors disappear quicker, dark colors are spotted by fish easier.

Brad
Posted By: june-bug

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/19/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Redbug ol monster and 3/8 weight

I was gonna say the same thing
Posted By: DedShort

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/19/15 08:24 PM

in zoom i like green pumpkin magic, watermelon magic, watermelon gold, and watermelon candy.

Otherwise, its hard to beat a blue fleck power worm.
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/19/15 09:51 PM

Look at Senko's, it has no legs or any moving parts
at all, but it catches fish..!

Is it the color or what?

Go figure!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/20/15 01:04 AM

Just grab a variety of light and dark colored Zoom baits and just go fish. They all catch fish.

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/20/15 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Some of you recall a little memory trick from HS biology: Roy G. Biv, a made up name that serves as an acrostic to remember the color spectrum of natural light order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

Starting with red, it has the longest (slowest) wave length . . . all the way in steps down to violet with the shortest. Think rainbows.

The red starts disappearing in water at shallow depths beginning at less than 2 feet. It just becomes gray. Down there at the blue end of the spectrum, those colors hold true deeper.

God only knows how a fish eye works, what it sees. I recall seeing a video of what the world looks like through a cat's eye. Nothing much human about that.

Takeaway: Red, oranges and yellows would be very inconspicuous and just "shades of gray." Greens rather neutral, the blues and darker would hold color the longest (deepest) and thus show the most contrast.

Water, since it is denser than air, takes the longest waves (red) and slows it down so that it loses color the fastest. Scuba divers know this: colors are great to about 40 feet, then it is like color TV going to a black and white.

Just a guess on my part, I haven't research it, but since water continues to "slow down" colors at greater depths, that the colors each revert, through steps, in reverse order as their wavelengths are slowed. So, violet at a certain depth, becomes indigo, then a little deeper becomes blue, then all the way up to red then disappears into shades of grey after a certain depth.

Black and dark colors work well at night, seems almost illogical, because a dark shadow gives the most contrast in dark night water where there is little or no light to reflect.

Summary: clear water lets light penetrate deeper so all colors "hold" deeper; murky waters eliminate light and colors disappear quicker, dark colors are spotted by fish easier.

Brad

Maybe in theory.....

The fish don't know this. Red and purples work well in shalow and deep water both.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/20/15 01:28 AM

What colors bass see is not completely known, but it's different than us or other mammals, at least to some extent.
Visibility over 1 foot- watermelon red magic.
Visibility less than 1 foot- junebug red
That's what I do in zoom stuff anyway.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/20/15 01:31 AM

Camo Trick Worm

I've always had good luck with this color.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/20/15 02:37 AM

Lots of colors produce well. After some time and success you will find your favorites. I certainly have mine. Having said that, It's really one of the least important choices that you will make about fishing soft plastics. Choosing the appropriate size and action is usually more of a factor than color. The most important thing by far is to master the art of worm fishing. Bringing that piece of plastic to life and developing a sense of feel that will just about tell you when a fish is looking at it takes time.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 10/20/15 04:10 PM

Green Pumpkin Magic

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 11/16/15 05:06 AM

Crawdad color
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 11/16/15 10:09 PM

red
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 11/16/15 11:03 PM

I try to keep it simple (but I have quite a few different colors just in case). I use "watermelon seed" about 80% of the time... usually a 6 inch lizard), and "june bug" for overcast days. I also keep these colors in Zoom's Ol' Monster 10 inch worm.

I use these on both Texas rig and Carolina rig.

Good luck!
Posted By: 361V

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 11/16/15 11:56 PM

Mardi Gras!

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 11/17/15 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Brad R

Brad

Well fish can see red in deep water just fine.

Re: What color ZOOM worm is good? Also what size weight? - 11/17/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
Lots of colors produce well. After some time and success you will find your favorites. I certainly have mine. Having said that, It's really one of the least important choices that you will make about fishing soft plastics. Choosing the appropriate size and action is usually more of a factor than color. The most important thing by far is to master the art of worm fishing. Bringing that piece of plastic to life and developing a sense of feel that will just about tell you when a fish is looking at it takes time.

I will have to disagree about color not being important, sure you can catch fish on many colors but some work better than others when it is either sunny or overcast. Some will work in both conditions. You can fish a worm and go without a bite and switch colors but still use the same technique and start catching fish. You have to experiment.

Watermelon red, watermelon gold, watermelon candy
Green Pumpkin
Junebug
Redbug
Blue fleck
Plumb
Red shad
Chartruce pepper

Finesse worm
Trick worm
Baby brush hog
10 inch ole monster