Texas Fishing Forum

Getting Swamped

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 12:40 PM

I just bought my boat a while back and noticed that when coming off plane right as the boat stops the back of my boat gets swamped pretty bad and I am taking on a lot of water. My previous boat did not do this so I am wondering if its just the boat or something I'm doing?
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™
I just bought my boat a while back and noticed that when coming off plane right as the boat stops the back of my boat gets swamped pretty bad and I am taking on a lot of water. My previous boat did not do this so I am wondering if its just the boat or something I'm doing?

every boat is different. tap the throttle just before the wake comes over the stern.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 01:17 PM

Quit driving backwards, roflmao
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 01:32 PM

Basscat dad is right in my opinion, I just look back and just lightly press the throttle about the time the wake is coming. That keeps you right in front of it.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 01:46 PM

You'l get to where you don't have to look back anymore. You'll know your boat enough to accelerate through the backwash without even thinking about it.

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 01:57 PM

Thanks gentleman.

Hop, I thought you were supposed to drive them backwards.

grin
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 02:34 PM

I was with him and by swamped he means it come in a huge wave all the way to the back of the seats and takes a bit to finaly deep down through the floor/door that goes to the gas tank/oil/battery area. I know any boats including mine will come over the transom and maybe up to the carpet on the deck, but 3/4+ of his deck is 1/4" deep till is seeps down.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 03:55 PM

Boat/motor/jackplate?

Trimming down before coming off plane can help reduce the wake a good bit.
Posted By: reinke

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 04:01 PM

Trimming down was my thought. I went from a boat that you did not have to trim down at all to one you had to all the way down.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 04:03 PM

Skeeter ?

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: DJB
Skeeter ?

Obvious question?
Posted By: papamark

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 04:20 PM

Thanks gentleman.

Hop, I thought you were supposed to drive them backwards.

grin

you called me Gentleman and Hop all in the same response , that's twice you have cursed at me today, roflmao
Posted By: mudd

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 04:56 PM

Don't have the issue with my Ranger. I usually cut it off and jump up on front deck before comes fully off plane also. That's just me though

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: R6crew
Skeeter ?

Obvious question?

Yes, TZX190
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 05:26 PM

All bassboats from years gone by would do this , lots of the newer ones are much better at preventing backwash.

Like stated above just learn to throttle up a little as the boat sets down. There are a few things you can do that will help lessen this though.

One of which is to install a hydrofoil, and not the cheap cheesy plastic ones. Get a good quality aluminum one. They are much smaller and better looking, and work better too.

This will also help holeshot, slow planning speed and slow speed porpoise.

The second is to get one of those cheap big kids balls at Walmart and stuff it in your jackplate.

This will also help with holeshot and draft shallower a little too.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: mudd
Don't have the issue with my Ranger. I usually cut it off and jump up on front deck before comes fully off plane also. That's just me though

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 06:16 PM

Just give it a little throttle before it sits down at the lowest point of coming off pad
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/02/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: R6crew
Skeeter ?

Obvious question?

Yes, TZX190

Characteristic of the boat. Not my favorite thing about my skeeter either
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/03/15 01:32 AM

Well Raise my Rent!! A Skeeter you say? shocked
My 20I DOES NOT Swamp coming off plane at 70. Backwash( maybe a very small tad IF any)
Isn't the Skeeter engineered to lift the back,to prevent Backwash?
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/03/15 04:03 PM

Just tell your partner to lose some weight!

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/03/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: El Skeeter
Well Raise my Rent!! A Skeeter you say? shocked
My 20I DOES NOT Swamp coming off plane at 70. Backwash( maybe a very small tad IF any)
Isn't the Skeeter engineered to lift the back,to prevent Backwash?

Supposed too......
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/03/15 05:14 PM

May 1990 Bayliner Cobra 1903 doesn't do this.

Obviously you have an awful boat, but I'm a nice guy, I will swap you. I'll just tell my passengers that is the patented liquid cooled carpet roflmao
Posted By: River to sea

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/03/15 06:21 PM

My ZX225 will wash over , but only when my partner that weighs 275#s is with me . A little throttle at the right time , fixes it .
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 12:44 AM

My ZX225 done it every single time. No biggee. Just give it a little gas right as nose starts to come down.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 07:12 AM

Mine does it when I back up quite often. bolt
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 12:22 PM

You will get used to it coach. Just bump the throttle when you are almost off plane and it's all good.

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Panhandle
You will get used to it coach. Just bump the throttle when you are almost off plane and it's all good.

You need to come on to east texas for a few days and let's do some fishing.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 03:42 PM

trim down slowly and back off the throttle slowly. That should solve the troblem.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 06:28 PM

Trim down, accelerate, jump up and run to the front, tell your partner to lose weight! Hum..... Lots of work seems to me, plus you make your partner mad for calling him fat! Just make sure your bilge pump is working!

However trimming down and accelerating a little dose help! You'll get, just takes time.
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: Getting Swamped - 08/04/15 07:30 PM

I have a ZX225 and it will do it a little, but not as much as you mention. My dads old procraft would do it bad, and I maybe got in the habit of a little throttle just before shutting it down. I have had this for 11 years now and unless I shut it down off of wide open I don't really notice much wash.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum