Texas Fishing Forum

Top water

Posted By: larry rasure

Top water - 07/25/15 02:45 PM

I have tried most stick type top waters. River2Sea rover,strike king sexy dawg, and etc. I still catch larger fish on the old Heddon Zarr Spook. I have caught fish on the others,but my best luck has come on the old Zara Spook.
Posted By: Skip

Re: Top water - 07/25/15 03:00 PM

The Zara Spook has stood the test of time and consistently out preforms all others. IMHO.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Top water - 07/27/15 03:51 PM

This is my custom spook patterned after the Zell Roland 3 hook spook. It has won many tournaments. Many colors have done very well for me; but this one has produced all the big stringer of Bass. My best day was on Ivie with 8 bass between 8 and 9 lbs., in one of the hourly radio tournaments. It took a bass over 9 lbs. each hour so I didn't draw a check.

Posted By: Dognot

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip
The Zara Spook has stood the test of time and consistently out preforms all others. IMHO.

thumb
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 09:59 PM

Twenty years ago or longer there was a old man running Rayburn Tackle and he had some spooks customed painted and the only way to get them was to ask him about them. He would go to the back and get them out, they were not out on the shelves. I believe I still have some I will try and find them and put a pic of them on here.

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 10:17 PM

Thanks Ranger1. I would love to see them. Are they the wooden version?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
This is my custom spook patterned after the Zell Roland 3 hook spook. It has won many tournaments. Many colors have done very well for me; but this one has produced all the big stringer of Bass. My best day was on Ivie with 8 bass between 8 and 9 lbs., in one of the hourly radio tournaments. It took a bass over 9 lbs. each hour so I didn't draw a check.

I can concur..... this thing catches em.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 10:26 PM

My topwater bite has be horrible this year. Just can't get a consistent bite at all.

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 10:48 PM

It is all about the location with the high water this year. If you go to 3 spots each morning for 7 straight days, that is 21 locations. You will be lucky if ONE of those spots is holding quality fish. That is how hard I have had to work to find big fish my whole life.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 11:11 PM

One of my favorite moments in fishing is getting to my fishing spot just as the sun is coming up and casting out a Spook. The lure settles in the calm water and I just know that at least one bass is already eyeing my bait as the rings spread out and disappear. One or two pops and the Spook glides from side to side and then another pause. Then working the bait back if a bass hasn't already attacked the Spook and imagining how there will be a big blowup at any moment.

I like my Spooks!

Re: Top water - 08/05/15 11:59 PM

Sharing Spook Techniques

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9017115/Sharing_Spook_Techniques
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Top water - 08/06/15 12:27 AM

09skeeter21 and I had close to a 40lb stringer on Hubbard creek throwing a original spook three years ago fun fishing. Unreal day! I've hardly thrown one since.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Top water - 08/06/15 02:12 AM

There's not any "walk the dog type" topwaters that are better than an original spook, IMO. I'll always have a spook and Showerblows shorty tied on. The original spook is every bit as good. It's hard to put the SB down though. They catch em too. I like the spook better than the Vixens too. The gun fish is a good one too.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Top water - 08/06/15 02:53 AM

I kinda like the yellow magics over the spooks...they seem to walk better

Re: Top water - 08/06/15 02:59 AM

All my big fish have come while making the Spook do the 180 degree turns and then letting it sit.
I have not been able to tweak any of the other top waters to make them do that and I have tried them all.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum