Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Athens

Posted By: GOODSON

Lake Athens - 07/24/15 08:19 PM

Going to hit Athens tomorrow morning for the first time. Any general information would be appreciated! I'll post a report when I get back in.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Lake Athens - 07/24/15 08:43 PM

Fished 7-12-15 and caught 17 in a tourney there. Find you some drop offs with grass nearby. I used the new Fat Baby Rattlesnake in Watermelon/Chartruse. Also used a plum colored drop shot wrom. My favorite lake.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Lake Athens - 07/24/15 09:14 PM

They have been schooling pretty well for us lately. 25-35 fish mornings. Been using a spook puppy and weighted Slug-O's. If that's not working it's basically what David said. For us we have had to run a few spots before we find them though. Keep a close eye on your fish finder around points. Been using a motor oil worm t-rigged. But we have mostly just chased the schoolers.

I have heard there is a good shallow bite for flipping from mid morning and throughout the afternoon but I haven't had a bite doing this.
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: Lake Athens - 07/24/15 09:43 PM

I'm going to head that way too tomorrow, you will find "the best little secret in Texas" isn't a secret anymore. Lots of boats out there.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Lake Athens - 07/24/15 09:54 PM

Got this one last Sunday morning on a sexy dawg...

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 12:23 AM

That's a good one. Thanks for the info. Drummond if you see me out there say hello. I'll be in a black/silver/red skeeter and be fishing by myself.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Drummond1
I'm going to head that way too tomorrow, you will find "the best little secret in Texas" isn't a secret anymore. Lots of boats out there.

You got that right. 50+ boats each Saturday morning on NON-tourney days. Plus tomorrow there's a tourney that should have ~30 boats to add to the madness. On a boats to ramp ratio, it's the most crowded fishing lake in texas.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 01:15 AM

There are no more fish in Lake Athens
Dam broke ..... fish kill ...... fished out ....... someone kept all the slot fish
sharks ...... water is real muddy ........ all the grass died ........ underwater volcano ......... what else can I say !!!!!!
They are checking for Athens residence only this weekend,,,,,,,, that ought to do it

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 02:10 AM

Really, it's not fishing as well as it was in June. It slows once we hit high 90's until fall. Then it picks back up.
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 02:13 AM

What tournament is there tomorrow??

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 02:39 AM

sorry, my mistake, I thought Cowboy Church was there tomorrow. It's not. That was last month.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
sorry, my mistake, I thought Cowboy Church was there tomorrow. It's not. That was last month, sorry, my mistake.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not... Lol

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 05:51 AM

It's not, they fished it in June. I am not ware of any tournaments, but the fishing sucks, I would go elsewhere.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 01:10 PM

On a real note.....Athens paper says the folks that opened the Marina Bait & Grill will be closing it. Can't make enough money....... no wonder closing at 5:30pm when the sign says 7pm. Not being there for tournament weekends earlier to get in on the traffic. Athens Municipal Water District says these guys run over 100 Marinas and they can't make this one work.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
There are no more fish in Lake Athens
Dam broke ..... fish kill ...... fished out ....... someone kept all the slot fish
sharks ...... water is real muddy ........ all the grass died ........ underwater volcano ......... what else can I say !!!!!!
They are checking for Athens residence only this weekend,,,,,,,, that ought to do it

You forgot earthquakes, and tsunami's
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 01:34 PM

On a real note.....Athens paper says the folks that opened the Marina Bait & Grill will be closing it. Can't make enough money....... no wonder closing at 5:30pm when the sign says 7pm. Not being there for tournament weekends earlier to get in on the traffic. Athens Municipal Water District says these guys run over 100 Marinas and they can't make this one work.

That sucks. Thought they had a pretty good setup going
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: It's a giant!

That sucks. Thought they had a pretty good setup going

It was a good set up. We have ate in there a good bit lately. There just isn't enough business for it I guess. We have seen two other fisherman in all the times we have been in it that have bought food.

The restaruant really needs to open back up. They got some fisherman and alot of people who just drove out there to eat. No one was driving out there just to eat at the lakeside grill. Nice people that worked in there though.

I heard the restarant was supposed to open up again in August. I'm sure Nutman would know more about it than I would though. Maybe he could confirm.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 05:26 PM

AMWA is looking for someone to run the entire operation. They do not want to separate everything or anything. The bait shop -- grill -- RV park -- big restaurant & they want fuel available,,,, it will all go as a package. If they would let me charge a ramp fee I would be on it in a second.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 07:14 PM

Fished from 7:30 to 1 since I keep hitting the snooze! Ended up with 9. 6 were caught in 7-10 ft of water in the grass on whacky worm and fluke. The other 3 were schoolers. All but a couple of schoolers were solid slots. I like the lake and can't wait to give it another go. Going to give fork ago tomorrow.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 10:27 PM

Oh Yea just come on down to fork right now! It's on fire! LOL, go some where else unless you are just scouting!

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 10:59 PM

Haha! Fork can get tough! But I live here on Fork and regularly get my butt handed to me. So I made a change of plans and I'm taking the wife hybrid fishing on Twok.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 11:29 PM

We had 3 overs today. Caught over 40.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/25/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Tyler.Woods
We had 3 overs today. Caught over 40.

OK....that's great !!!
now, what lake was that ?

Re: Lake Athens - 07/26/15 12:36 AM

Athens...

Re: Lake Athens - 07/26/15 01:02 AM

bang
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Lake Athens - 07/26/15 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
bang

roflmao

Re: Lake Athens - 07/27/15 01:30 AM

They're schooling all over lake instead of like last year when they grouped alot better and were easier to find and catch. They have gotten quite weary.
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Lake Athens - 07/27/15 02:03 AM

Dad and I fished until 3 today. Best 5 went 20lbs. My pops caught a big one. It was just over 26in long, but barely any gut. We messed with schoolers, but you had to be patient and be at the right place at the right time. The ones we caught crawl under to pounds so we didn't mess with that too much. But they were schooling all over the lake

Re: Lake Athens - 07/27/15 02:19 AM

What time is the morning bite shutting down? When is the evening bite starting? After a few mid day trips with little luck, I guess I'm going to start waking up early and burning out when it gets hot.

Re: Lake Athens - 07/27/15 02:34 PM

Our big bites came from 5:30 am to 7:30 am then from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm

Re: Lake Athens - 07/29/15 01:15 AM

Getting out EARLY tomorrow to hit Athens. Is there a topwater bite early? Got a spook puppy, buzz bait and a pop-r rigged up. Will they do any good?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Athens - 07/29/15 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: It's a giant!
Getting out EARLY tomorrow to hit Athens. Is there a topwater bite early? Got a spook puppy, buzz bait and a pop-r rigged up. Will they do any good?
You are good. They liked the buzzbait the last couple hours of light along the shoreline grass edges a couple weeks ago.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum