Texas Fishing Forum

Ridged industries trolling motor light.

Posted By: RangerJT

Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 03:14 PM

Thinking about getting one but seen on some other forums that they are not legal to run with it on. Anybody have any input in this? What about all the other lights that the saltwater guys run on there boats(the colored ones underwater and on the rub rail) just curious what you guys think.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 04:45 PM

I purchased one when they first came out and it is truly a great product. They are very bright and can be used for loading or unloading your boat, running the boat lanes they will light up the buoy markers, or just finding your way a round the lake in the wee hours. Still run all running lights in addition with the LED light and have not heard anything about it not being legal.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 08:24 PM

have you looked at the GoLight GoBee Stanchion Mount Remote Spotlight. We've been using one and love it, especially if you have a passenger that can run the remote. Let's you scan from side to side and adjust up and down as you are running. Didn't have to do any wiring, just plugged it right in to existing front light. Very bright light also.
Posted By: Len B 1

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 10:07 PM

I have one of those GoBee's keeps blowing my breakers in boat. Anybody want to buy it?
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 10:08 PM

I put the rigid on my rig and it is the real deal. wink
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 10:32 PM

Just please do not use them during a tournament in the morning, these things are aggravating. Cool idea but you have to know when to use it, idling thru tournament boats does not require a bright headlight that blinds all other anglers.... That is unless you plan on winning by disabling half of the fields eyesight.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/24/15 11:18 PM

loco
Posted By: wlgorman

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/25/15 01:07 AM

Can you get one thats not at an angle, my tm is parallel to my gunnels on my 16' sea ark.
Posted By: skeeter17584

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/25/15 08:25 AM

The light can be adjusted in the bracket
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/25/15 11:52 AM

Wish they would make one for a Motorguide.
Posted By: Rhino Ranger

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/25/15 09:11 PM

I have asked two different game wardens about the trolling motor lights. Both said you can only use them to load and unload at ramp, don not use when running down lake. They blind other boaters and you cannot see your green and red running lights(had a friend get stopped on LA for running with them on).
Green and red LED's must be mounted above rub rail and be visible from a 90 degree angle. They are legal.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/26/15 12:42 AM

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard and both of those wardens should find another career. There is the letter of the law and then there is the spirit of the law. So a large boat coming toward you with a bright light is harder to see than two tiny 5 candlepower green and red lights ? Give me a break those guys need to exercise some common sense.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/26/15 02:30 AM

I have meet one coming straight at me and they will blind you .
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/26/15 02:49 AM

Hope y'all arnt on the lakes in January at 3:30am. You will see a light show. I have a 12" bar on my
Duck boat and plain on adding another with just spotlight beams along with a couple cubes. You can see me across the lake running. Game wardens have never said anything to me or my friends that all hunt. However meeting head on I'll turn it off once I get so close. One air boat down here runs twin 50" light bars on his grass rake along with cubes on his cage for setting decoys.
Posted By: Broken Braid Guide Service

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/26/15 03:29 AM

That's like saying it's illegal to use a spot light in a boat..SMH
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/26/15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Hope y'all arnt on the lakes in January at 3:30am. You will see a light show. I have a 12" bar on my
Duck boat and plain on adding another with just spotlight beams along with a couple cubes. You can see me across the lake running. Game wardens have never said anything to me or my friends that all hunt. However meeting head on I'll turn it off once I get so close. One air boat down here runs twin 50" light bars on his grass rake along with cubes on his cage for setting decoys.

wink
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/27/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard and both of those wardens should find another career. There is the letter of the law and then there is the spirit of the law. So a large boat coming toward you with a bright light is harder to see than two tiny 5 candlepower green and red lights ? Give me a break those guys need to exercise some common sense.

What is the "spirit of the law". That's dumb. It's either against the law or not.

If a boat light is blinding another boat and you can't see then it can be deemed dangerous. Also all those led's some boats run with are illegal since you can only have red /green and white while running.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/27/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: J Adami

That would blind me if we were approaching head on in a boat lane. Hopefully the operator of the boat is smart enough to turn it off in that situation. I use a Qbeam to run at night. But only sparingly and NEVER when there is an oncoming boat. And I can't see your port/starboard nav lights which is illegal, if you are underway.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/27/15 03:24 PM

That should be a real fish attractor with the motor down in the water.. or scare them into the next county..
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/27/15 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
What is the "spirit of the law". That's dumb. It's either against the law or not.

It is the discretion that police officers use to enforce the intent of the law since some things have a grey area and are not necessarily black and white. It has a lot to do with the community standards in an area. For instance not pulling you over and writing a ticket for driving 56 in a 55 mph zone or not crossing an intersection in the right side of the crosswalk. It is applied everyday. If you ever looked at a penal code or traffic code, you'd be hard pressed to not have violated some law during the course of a day by the letter of the law.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Ridged industries trolling motor light. - 07/28/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: J Adami

don't get me wrong, Rigid makes great LED's for boats. I just like GObee and the ability to use the remote to move the light when needed, like when another boat is on-coming or if the boat is turned and I need to keep the light on the buoy (fork boat lanes).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum