Texas Fishing Forum

Frogs

Posted By: TempleFlipper

Frogs - 07/23/15 05:53 AM

What models of frogs do you all like? I know the live target ones look awesome but I do not believe in spending 20.00 on a lure.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 12:01 PM

Spro Poppin' Frog.
Posted By: AWS

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 12:25 PM

yep
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 12:33 PM

I also like Scum Frogs.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 01:57 PM

If you are paying $20 for a frog you shouldnt be fishing
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 02:14 PM

Spro Bronze Eye and Booyah Pad crasher or Pad Crasher Jr.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 02:19 PM

I like this one and a straight up spro.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 02:22 PM

Spro bronze eye and popping frog are my go to. Stay away from the lunkerhunt.
Posted By: New Start

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 03:17 PM

V&M Bayou Bullfrog. Especially on the V&M Buzz Frog setup.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 05:39 PM

Gambler

These are my favorite
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TempleFlipper
What models of frogs do you all like? I know the live target ones look awesome but I do not believe in spending 20.00 on a lure.

If you are spending $20.00 for a Koppers Live Target someone is getting over on you.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 06:04 PM

Booyah Pad Crasher and Pad Crasher Jr.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

If you are spending $20.00 for a Koppers Live Target someone is getting over on you.

Buy one get one "free"
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 07:00 PM

Anyone use the all white frogs much?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 07:04 PM

All white and all black have produced pretty good bites (if not fish) on Fork and Tawakoni for me. Still trying to perfect my hook set and getting fish skated on top of the thick stuff. The Spro Poppin' Frog is the one I have been practicing the technique with.
Posted By: TempleFlipper

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 08:46 PM

Anyone trim the legs or bend the hooks outward for better hook ups?
Posted By: stuntmandave

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 08:48 PM

Spro
Posted By: raveon

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 10:17 PM

I have but it didn't seem to help me much. I always try to set the hook to fast on blow ups. I am sure when I learn to wait for the rod to load up i will have better luck.

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 10:36 PM

No because I throw mine in a lot of heavier vertical cover. All bending the hooks does for me is make it snag more.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Frogs - 07/23/15 10:46 PM

I don't bend the hooks either. I do trim the legs one shorter than the other. That's just for walking purposes.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Frogs - 07/24/15 02:59 AM

No because I throw mine in a lot of heavier vertical cover. All bending the hooks does for me is make it snag more.

Very Rarely do I trim legs but I do bend out hooks just slightly I fish allot of heavy cover with them and it seems to help hook them especially when they inhale the frogs
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: Frogs - 07/25/15 09:06 PM

spro are the best but ive caught a lot of fish with a KVD sexy frog including an 8.7 !
Posted By: K-F

Re: Frogs - 07/26/15 02:39 AM

Trophy Scum Frog in either Chartreuse or Dark green!
Posted By: Scott's Creek Skeeter

Re: Frogs - 07/26/15 02:42 AM

Scum Frogs....
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Frogs - 07/27/15 05:05 PM

I don't even bend out the hooks...no need to if you set the hook properly.

There are only 2 reasons to trim the legs IMO....if you "walk" the frog....or if you are getting short strikes. If you are wanting to walk the frog, just shorten 1 leg about half.....if you are getting a ton of short strikes I would shorten them up to about 1-2" total....I personally have a frog for each method and will switch them up if I have to....just me though....
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Frogs - 08/11/15 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Anyone use the all white frogs much?

For daytime fishing when it's sunny, yes.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Frogs - 08/11/15 01:49 PM

I believe that during the daylight hours with the sun overhead that all frogs regardless of color look basically like a dark shadow to the bass that is underneath it. Like everyone I have my favorite colors for lures but have always wondered why some top water lures come in so many colors when they all are simply white on the side the fish see, the bottom.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Frogs - 08/11/15 03:52 PM

If you want one that will walk right out of the box the Ish Phat Free frog will do this.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Frogs - 08/11/15 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion1
If you want one that will walk right out of the box the Ish Phat Free frog will do this.

And spro and live target
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 03:11 AM

PayCheck baits Transporter

But they are being discontinued. I spent this evening buying a bunch of them wherever I could find them online.

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: basseditor

But they are being discontinued. I spent this evening buying a bunch of them wherever I could find them online.

Hi's Tackle Box had a bunch of them in stock last week.
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 03:57 AM

SPRO Frogs and crank baits were Buy 2 Get 1 Free this last weekend at Gander Mt. Don't know if they still are or not...
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 04:17 AM

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't like Spro frogs at all. I'd much rather throw a ScumFrog. They have never failed me when the frog bite is on.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 04:36 AM

Posted By: Timbass

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 06:18 AM

I like the snag proof Ish's poppin' phattie,
snag proof bobby's perfect frog and the
spro poppin' frog. These all walk great,
have good color choices and hold up to lots
and lots of abuse from catching fish and horsing
them out of the cover.
Posted By: otay michael

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera

Having fished most everything on the market, having many days where my top three ran 18 lbs or so, I've got frog fishing semi-down. Spro popper and Live Target are my go to lures. Live Target as they are so soft (great for hookup ratio) yet don't get torn up after getting three fish. Once I got 9 in an afternoon on one, and did not miss a fish- a record on frog fishing as anyone that throws them for a day or two knows, let alone for 30 hours a week, month after month like me, knows.

This pictured bait, looks like it floats, does it?

Who makes it?

Who sells them?
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: otay michael
Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera

Having fished most everything on the market, having many days where my top three ran 18 lbs or so, I've got frog fishing semi-down. Spro popper and Live Target are my go to lures. Live Target as they are so soft (great for hookup ratio) yet don't get torn up after getting three fish. Once I got 9 in an afternoon on one, and did not miss a fish- a record on frog fishing as anyone that throws them for a day or two knows, let alone for 30 hours a week, month after month like me, knows.

This pictured bait, looks like it floats, does it?

Who makes it?

Who sells them?

1. Yes sir they float.
2. We make them right here in Fort Worth Tx!
3. We will sell them (soon 1 week)

Check out our page
Let me know Thanks!!!!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 01:14 PM

Not so many now...

If anyone is interested get em now. ( I got mine ha ha)

Only a handful left.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 01:19 PM

I love fishing frogs, but have trouble with hookups. I've bent the hooks out, waited to set the hook, and everything in between, but still only set the hook on at most a third of the bites.

any and all advice is welcome.
Posted By: Brady S

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion1

I use the Ish frog too!
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
Spro bronze eye and popping frog are my go to. Stay away from the lunkerhunt.

Something even me and Bad-D can agree on. The lunkerhunt is hands down my most regrettable purchase ever tackle wise... what a disappointing hunk of junk.
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If you are paying $20 for a frog you shouldnt be fishing

I believe it comes with a free bass attached.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 06:15 PM

Paying premium for ultra high end topwaters isn't much a problem... how often do you lose a topwater bait? Paying out the wazoo for high end cranks and jerkbaits and such can be painful though... and some of the A-rig's and such are just INSANE.... guys out there chucking close to $100 worth of wire and jig heads and blades and swivels and swimbaits.... heck, just plain swibait fishermen out there casting $100+ baits

Heck, between the hooks, tungsten weights, line, and plastics, I reckon without even thinking of it a lot of my plastic rigs are worth more than a lot of my hard baits that I look at and go "man, how can I justify what I spend on this to someone else?" but who cares. It's your money and your tackle and your time on the water. Spend it all exactly how YOU please! If I'm willing to pitch $10 or so worth of tungsten weight and flipping hook and a bait into nasty thick stuff, why not spend $20 on a frog that'll last a long time? I can see it either which way. I tend to be as frugal as possible myself, but I do get wide eyed in the tackle department...
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: phototex
I also like Scum Frogs.
Posted By: gene30

Re: Frogs - 08/12/15 08:51 PM

I used to think Ribbits until I tried the Spro popper
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Frogs - 08/13/15 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: D.A.Cooper

Not so many now...

If anyone is interested get em now. ( I got mine ha ha)

Only a handful left.

Even fewer now. Ha.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Frogs - 08/14/15 05:51 PM

A friend of mine was on a job in Japan and he brought me back some frogs. They have no name, they are
just slightly smaller than a regular Spro, they are so soft you get hooked up every time and I have used
one for a couple of hours and didn't have to squeeze the water out once.
Posted By: Zach Attack!

Re: Frogs - 08/15/15 03:34 AM

I love the Damiki air frog, and the Stanley top toad, you get the action of a ribbit style frog with the ability to stop it and it drives them crazy! If I'm not throwing a spro popping frog this is what I have tied on thumb

Posted By: TDR2

Re: Frogs - 08/15/15 10:28 AM

Spro popping frog... Don't over think it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum