Texas Fishing Forum

Body getting older with fishing

Posted By: CrankBait1007

Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 01:43 PM

My sister took a picture of me changing batteries out saying i wasn't in shape anymore....getting bigger.

Didn't look the same when i had the Huck fin boat. frown

I told thats ok I'm getting bigger but so are my bass grin
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 01:49 PM

In general, the more bass fishing people do; the more they start to look like the fish they are trying to catch.

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
In general, the more bass fishing people do; the more they start to look like the fish they are trying to catch.

Haaaaa i like that thumb
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:11 PM

Everything on me hurts after a day on the water now.... my feet, my hands, everything.... It used to not be this way. Still look "in shape" but I sure feel different. If this is 40 I'm not looking forward to 70.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:11 PM

lol....good one

sad but true though lol
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:22 PM

Oh 'CARP' man, you still a youngster.... Lookin good Bro
God Bless
(tell her you are NOT old/fat!!!)

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

Everything on me hurts after a day on the water now.... my feet, my hands, everything.... It used to not be this way. Still look "in shape" but I sure feel different. If this is 40 I'm not looking forward to 70.

Bean i hear ya. i used to be able to go saturday fish 6am till dark and turn around and do it again sunday...if allowed and that was after working the week. now one day and i'm sore! Lee thanks i guess we're all in our stages. eek
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:43 PM

I can tell you without a doubt that 54 isn't any better. My friends used to call me the "Iron Man". I would fish from before sunrise to 10:00 at night, then get up and do it again the next morning. I remember one day getting up at 2:45, driving 90 minutes to fish a tournament, and catching them so well that on my way home from weigh-in I thought, "This is too good a day to stop now", so I stopped and dropped my boat in at Lake Tyler and fished until after dark.

My physical condition these days can be summed up in two words..."I HURT." The day after a tournament I usually feel so rough that I wonder how long I can keep doing it. But...by next time I forget all that and can't wait to get back out there.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:54 PM

I turned 60 this year and have always worked out just so I could keep fishing. That being said it is getting tougher every year. But I get inspired by guys like Larry Nixon, Paul Elias and the rest of the over 60 guys that fish for weeks on end. I have no idea how they do it. Fished Basschamps championship last year and was exhausted by the time the tourney started after 3 days of practicing. LOL! But I aint giving up yet!

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 02:56 PM

Hey, I'm 67 and about to hit the 68 number (God willing) and I still love fishing.
It's not easy now....but doggone it....I'm still going to go when I can ( roflmao or it's not hot enough to fry eggs on the gunnels!!)
Hang in there Crank....
You to Jackson.....it's hard...but it is fun!!!
God Bless
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 03:03 PM

Fished a tournament on Possum Kingdom this past Sunday as co angler from 6 AM until 3 PM and yesterday morning I felt like I gad been beat with a wet rope. Will turn 72 in December and will continue to fish as long as I can. It was 98 degrees that day, be better when fall arrives. fish

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 03:09 PM

God love ya, go for it pardner. Dang spider bite and having to 'stay out of the sunshine' just helped me make the decision to 'summerize' my rig - for now....
I do love it....just not a 'tournament fisherman'......LOL, my 'skill set or lack of' just won't allow it....
God Bless
Originally Posted By: pil,b
Fished a tournament on Possum Kingdom this past Sunday as co angler from 6 AM until 3 PM and yesterday morning I felt like I gad been beat with a wet rope. Will turn 72 in December and will continue to fish as long as I can. It was 98 degrees that day, be better when fall arrives. fish
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 03:35 PM

60 here and I'm finding out that my mind keeps writing checks that my body can't cash. sarcastic
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 03:39 PM

33 years of football, hockey, golf, riding quads, and fishing have ruined my right elbow. I can't fish anymore without a brace, the pain it causes later that night is unreal. I'm also starting to get fallen arches, doc says it's from standing on the front deck too much.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 03:56 PM

Crankbait, I wished I looked that good.
Arms and legs are getting skinnier, and stomach and ears are getting bigger.
I buy Advil in the large bottle now and just keep on fishing. I've had the best year I've ever had for big fish, and its a long way from over.
Hang in there seniors-
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 03:57 PM

I am also 67 and have fished all my life. I am way over weight but go to the gym 6 days a week to stay in the best shape possible doing the exercises that will get me through the fishing days. When we go to Mexico it is a long 10 days. We drive 4 days and fish 6 days. Our fishing day is from daylight to about 5 o'clock each day.

There are 3 things that get me through it that really helps and I could not do it without them.
- The exercise program as mentioned at 24 Hour Fitness 6 days a week for 2 hours each day. One hour on the circuit training with 30 seconds on ripping light weight and 30 seconds off; ripping light weight at each of the 30 stations. The second hour is spent in the sauna and pool. I do 13 old football exercises like strides and high knees; pulling through the water with my arms as I go from one end of the pool to the other. I get in a mile in about 45 minutes.
- The Irest Missager - This is a device about the size of a small cell phone that packs the power to pulsate the mussels that you hook it up to. It has two pads that stick onto the area that hurts and runs for twenty minutes. It flexes the mussel then releases it. It will hold a charge and will hook up two people for at least 6 treatments. Irest has so many different setting I haven't even used them all; but it definitely takes care of the pain and sore mussels. irestmassager.com
- Most importantly is Elete it keeps me totally hydrated with no sugar and low sodium. It has all the electrolytes you need and none that you don't. I have been using it for 15 years and have not woke up with cramps in the middle of the night sense I started putting it in my water bottles. It is cheap one 8.5 bottle will take care of 3 months of fishing and cost me $20. Any of you guy looking for something better than Gatorade then I can help you.
Posted By: AWS

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 04:13 PM

40 is good....I'm 72 this year...don't stop...don't ever stop. Make young friends ((bigfishtexas) and they will keep you alive...if you feel pain...that means you are alive and can launch that boat one more time....keep going...take a kid fishing...talk to people on the ramp...share some information...tell them about the big one...keep going....the end of the runway will come all to soon...don't give in.
Posted By: balazs

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 04:23 PM

You're double fisting batteries so you're in better shape than me! My back would implode if I picked up two batteries at once.

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: balazs
You're double fisting batteries so you're in better shape than me! My back would implode if I picked up two batteries at once.
roflmao
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 04:52 PM

mine too.....lol
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 05:12 PM

Good for you - doubling up on the batteries cool

I've been competing since my 20's and was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2010. It was a setback with surgeries and treatments along with taking a toll on me physically and mentally, still trying my best as I remain "Cancer Free".

Debra smile
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 05:44 PM

Debra, know what your talking about on taking a toll on your body, went through prostate cancer 6 years ago and radiation kills more than cancer cells in my opinion. I know my energy level went south, good luck to you in the future. fish
Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 07:49 PM

wow, I thought it was just me that felt like this after a day on the water. getting old sucks for sure.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 08:09 PM

I know fishing 3 straight 8 to 10 hour days feels different at 39 than it did at 29! hmmm
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 08:14 PM

If you're over 40 don't go fishing with Evan O'Brien - he is a machine.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 09:53 PM

It doesn't get better... LOL
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/21/15 11:34 PM

Looks to me like you're doing pretty good, Crankbait. I am 58 and can't do it like I used to. I used to jump out of bed at 4:00am after going to bed at 11:00pm. Not anymore. I have to convince myself that it is going to be a great day and to get the heck up. I can't fish all day in the Summer like I used to. If I do, I pay for it. Winter doesn't bother me at all and that's a good thing. I like to go fishing on Saturday and rest on Sunday.

I sincerely believe that you cannot give in to getting older. The minute you say you can't, you're done.
Posted By: gene30

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/22/15 12:31 AM

75 here and fish weekends this
time of year. Spring and fall I'm full speed ahead. I fish morning and evenings summer time. Can't take the heat like I used to.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/22/15 01:10 AM

Love your videos but, Your not allowed to bring up your sister without posting some pics of her. We know what you look like. roflmao

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/22/15 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Debra Hengst
Good for you - doubling up on the batteries cool

I've been competing since my 20's and was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2010. It was a setback with surgeries and treatments along with taking a toll on me physically and mentally, still trying my best as I remain "Cancer Free".

Debra smile

Not like i use to grin

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/22/15 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Neches
Love your videos but, Your not allowed to bring up your sister without posting some pics of her. We know what you look like. roflmao

Not my sister the one who keeps me fishing
Posted By: papamark

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/22/15 07:05 AM

I turned 63 this year, I was looking back when I use to get off work on Friday afternoon drive to Big Sam or Toledo Bend, sleep in the back of the truck, fish a tournament all day and then drive back to the DFW area. I also remember when I would fish 2 day tournaments and would be good to go on Mondays,

Not any more. flehan

Re: Body getting older with fishing - 07/22/15 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: papamark
I turned 63 this year, I was looking back when I use to get off work on Friday afternoon drive to Big Sam or Toledo Bend, sleep in the back of the truck, fish a tournament all day and then drive back to the DFW area. I also remember when I would fish 2 day tournaments and would be good to go on Mondays,

Not any more. flehan

I hear that......ouch!!! Sleep in the back of the truck, oh man I would have to immediately have some heavy pain killers to even begin functioning.. roflmao
We are just not that 'flexible' anymore!
God Bless
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum