Texas Fishing Forum

Garmin loses Lawsuit

Posted By: Okhissa2

Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 12:50 AM

Found this pretty interesting. http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2015/07/johnson-outdoors-wins-ruling-patent-lawsuit/
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 12:56 AM

oops...I just bought a new Garmin,..Side-Vu is excellent.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 12:58 AM

strange, I saw article where they won.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2015/07/garmin-wins-ruling-navico-patent-lawsuit/

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 12:59 AM

Ok, guess two parts to lawsuit.

Garmin won for down scan, but lost for side scan.
Posted By: buton

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 01:09 AM

That's why lowrance call it structure scan? And it is external?
Posted By: Okhissa2

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 01:14 AM

From what I read Lowrance is paying Humminbird a small percentage after there Lawsuit a few years back... Not sure if that's true, Anyone know for sure.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Ok, guess two parts to lawsuit.

Garmin won for down scan, but lost for side scan.

Two completely different suits. Garmin won in the suit Navico (Lowrance) brought, but lost in a suit that Johnson Outdoors (Humminbird) brought.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 11:51 AM

After buying the garmins and running them in place of the birds I can tell you that Humminbird is nowhere near "the gold standard" in graphs...... Sometimes you play second fiddle and Humminbird is in that spot now.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/21/15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: R6crew
After buying the garmins and running them in place of the birds I can tell you that Humminbird is nowhere near "the gold standard" in graphs...... Sometimes you play second fiddle and Humminbird is in that spot now.
HB has been 2nd fiddle to Lowrance for years now. I haven't tried the Garmin units though. They get great reviews, so I'd like to check them out. I might when my bow unit finally bites the dust.
Posted By: East Texas Diver

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/22/15 09:21 PM

I have a Humminbird and a Garmin........I prefer the Garmin
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/22/15 09:39 PM

Had a bird 998c, now running 2 garmin 70s with sidevu/downvu. I'll take the garmins any day!
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/22/15 10:23 PM

I see the sore loser files the lawsuit, Garmin's must be nice.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/22/15 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MagFluker
Garmin pulled a nice knockoff with the money they saved by not doing their own R&D. Bird owns the patents and has to defend them. Simple case of technology rip-off.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: John175 ®
Garmin pulled a nice knockoff with the money they saved by not doing their own R&D. Bird owns the patents and has to defend them. Simple case of technology rip-off.

Yep. Patents are there for a reason. Initially they were to encourage R&D by ensuring a company could recoup that plus sell and profit. This isn't China where they clone everything.

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Yep. Patents are there for a reason. Initially they were to encourage R&D by ensuring a company could recoup that plus sell and profit. This isn't China where they clone everything.

funny, but where were you guys when we talk about Z-man and chatterbaits. laugh
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 02:47 PM

Patents inhibit innovation, start up companies, and progression. True free markets protect complete cloning as you say, but were not meant to exclude competition from the market place. Our patent system ensures prices remain high and protects industry oligarchies. The best example is z-man chatterbaits.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 04:56 PM

So what does all of this mean?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Jackson

None of us will know unless the settlement is disclosed to the public.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Jackson

Nothing. As Johnson Outdoors[Humminbird] stated the ruling is under review by the ITC. In any case it will be in appeals courts for years and then an out of court settlement will be reached.
Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 09:58 PM

Pretty much garmin will be paying a percentage to HB just like lowrence already is but its a shame garmin beat HB with there own idea I would be a sore loser as well.

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop_shot_king
Pretty much garmin will be paying a percentage to HB just like lowrence already is but its a shame garmin beat HB with there own idea I would be a sore loser as well.
You wouldn't be in business very long giving away your patents.

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/23/15 11:02 PM

Blade baits suck patent or no patent. If someone has a patent and does not defend it they don't really have a patent. There will always be someone who knocks off your product and undercuts your price. The fishing industry is loaded with them.
Posted By: whybass

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/24/15 03:38 AM

in all honesty the navy had all this technology years ago so where did hb get theirs
Posted By: T-Gauntt

Re: Garmin loses Lawsuit - 07/24/15 04:35 PM

^^^ touché ^^^
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum