Texas Fishing Forum

skeet reese rods??

Posted By: Lake_Nasworthy_Kid

skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:15 PM

i was in Walmart about 6 months ago and i walk to the fishing department to check out some rods. and ofcourse the cool looking yellow skeet reese rods caught my eye. so i picked it up and was looking at it and bent the tip to see how sensitive it was. and then SNAP!, it broke!!! so i carefully put the rod back and walked away... i was wondering if any of yall liked the skeet reese rods? or had any problems with them.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:28 PM

no, they break
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:30 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:31 PM

popcorn
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:32 PM

You break it you buy it

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:33 PM

sure wasent gonna buy somthing from walmart that breaks when barely bending it.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:36 PM

Skeet Reese rods are lacking to say the least...
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake-Nasworthy-Kid
sure wasent gonna buy somthing from walmart that breaks when barely bending it.

You broke it so you buy it

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 10:58 PM

too late now lol.
Posted By: BassinHawg

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
no, they break

Yes, they do. And very easily too!
Posted By: Neches

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:13 PM

Grabbing a rod at the tip and bending it is not how ya check a rod for anything anyway.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:18 PM

well im sure you have stumbled across some rods you though looked cool and tested them out to make sure they are good and wont break on the first cast. its like buying a car without test driving it.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:30 PM

I've been using Skeet's drop shot rod for about 5 years now with no problems.. Its put fish up to 8 lbs in the boat without breaking.. YMMV

BD
Posted By: Neches

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:35 PM

Personally I think skeet's rods are ugly, and all I had to do is pick one up and could tell they are junk. But anyway, next time you want to feel a rod, grab it at the reel seat just like you would hold it fishing. With your hand about hip high place the rod tip on the floor and push down easy to feel and see the flex of the rod. If ya want to really learn rods always do it with a rod in each hand at the same time.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:41 PM

I had one and I loved it. Yes it broke - when I caught my worm on the console of my boat.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:42 PM

well next time i wont even pick up a skeet rod lol. but yeah i will have to be more aware of how i pick em up.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:43 PM

what rods do yall prefer??
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:47 PM

I believe in "you get what you pay for". Those rods are cheap for a reason.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/20/15 11:48 PM

you got that right.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake-Nasworthy-Kid
what rods do yall prefer??

Falcon and Shimano
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 03:52 AM

They obviously aren't completely junk bc skeet reese has won a lot of money on those rods. They are good rods but there are better rods out there in the same price range.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 04:11 AM

have you tried a ducket?
Posted By: Garvin

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 05:46 PM

I doubt any of the rods on Skeet's boat are the Walmart variety although he could probably outfish most of us with a Zebco Snoopy edition.
For some anglers, only the best will do, with magic wands branded with "Steez" and "Loomis."
For guys like me, I look for the best value among more moderately priced options. One jewel I have found is Cabela's Tournament ZX series. I have 3 of them currently (1 mh/f, 1 flippin' stick, and 1 spinning) and I count them as the best rods I have in my budget arsenal. I have no problem catching fish with them. They are only $100 regularly priced, but they are frequently on sale for $69, which is the price I have paid for each of the ones I have.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 06:05 PM

Recently at Dicks Sporting goods 2 for $60. I'll try it and if I break it I'll just throw it away. Only have one MH 7'6 and it sits in the garage. Ordered two and if I use it and don't like it I'll give it away to a kid who could use them but not afford it.
Posted By: E-bright

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 06:54 PM

Bought the worm/fluke one saturday and finesse fished it all day sunday and caught fish. I have omens and the cabelas zx is my jig rod. In my opinion the sensitivity is better on the skeet reese. I just would be smart with them and not try to boat flip a 5 pounder with it.
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 07:05 PM

They are the same at walmart, at Dicks, at BPS, on his boat. It's Walmart for crying out loud. Some jack who could care less about how he handles rods or glassware. I'd test the heck out of them. If they break there 99.9% of the time it's because of handling. They are decent rods and i have not broke one, ever. I have broken a Dobyns, I guess they are junk too! I believe Dobyns went through a problem with the blanks at one time. I think, it's been awhile. In any case, the ugly yellow rods have had their share of problems but they are good decent rod for the price.

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 07:29 PM

if you want a $100-ish rod, look at the Falcon Buccoos
Posted By: reelswift

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 07:37 PM

Some folks can break a anvil
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 08:42 PM

I have 3 and have fished with them for many years with no problems. I like them very much.

Picked up two more on that 2 for $60 deal at Dicks. At $30 each, thats a DEAL!

Yeah they are not the best rods made, but for the price (even not on sale) they are nice rods.

I am not a pro and don't need $350 dollar rods, although I do have a few, they are nice, but cant say I have caught anymore fish on them then the Skeet rods.

Posted By: blondie

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 08:55 PM

I have had good luck with them. I bought several when they first came out. I have never bought one at Wal-Mart.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/21/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
if you want a $100-ish rod, look at the Falcon Buccoos

No doubt 100% better choice
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/22/15 12:57 AM

I have been using a Skeet Reese Alabama rod for about 3 years now. It works great for that purpose. I did break the 1st one I had though. I stuck it in a fast moving ceiling fan. I put a new tip on it, put a 4.9/1 reel on it and use it for BIG deep-diving crank baits.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/22/15 03:07 PM

I had a Skeet Reese "deep plus" or something like that. Put some line on it, tied a big DD on it, flung it out there, and BANG! thing snapped right above the reel seat. First and only cast with it. I bought it at Dicks and chose not to but the extended warrantee with it. Never again.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: skeet reese rods?? - 07/22/15 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER
Recently at Dicks Sporting goods 2 for $60. I'll try it and if I break it I'll just throw it away. Only have one MH 7'6 and it sits in the garage. Ordered two and if I use it and don't like it I'll give it away to a kid who could use them but not afford it.

Yep!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum