Texas Fishing Forum

Best cranking rod?

Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 01:58 AM

I've been looking for a new cranking rod I throw everything from really deep stuff to bds 1's I really don't have much of a budget for one so what is your favorite cranking rod?
Posted By: H B

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 02:13 AM

Dobyns 765CB
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 02:17 AM

Power tackle glass rod
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 02:39 AM

I know you have a light budget, but the Dobyns 764 CB RM or the 765 Glass are awesome CB rods for all around. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 05:11 AM

broom sticks are cheap
Posted By: Red Eye Bandit

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 05:41 AM

Power tackle glass rod thumb
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 06:39 AM

When looking for a deep cranker it don't need to be sensitive, just STRONG and rated for the lure weight you'll be attaching. A good STRONG inexpensive glass rod 7 foot or better would be the ticket. There should be plenty of these out there. Probably even the Bass Pro Crankin' Rods would even be OK.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 12:39 PM

My favorite is the Dobyns 805 RM.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27
My favorite is the Dobyns 805 RM.
x2. My favorite for DD22's and any big crank up to a 10XD. I have used it for medium sized swimbaits too. At close to 2oz anything heavier than the 10XD overloads the rod. Great rod....but there are other good choices well under that $250 price. Allstar Rods makes a 7'10" "Big Cranker". Allstar rods are excellent for their price and you can get them @ Academy.
Posted By: reed35

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 01:06 PM

Custom Angle Hot Rod Series, great rod.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 01:13 PM

found a Powell inferno spec'd for crankbaits at Cabelas. so far fine. but I am no expert.
maybe on day I will try a st croix Mojo
Posted By: C.J

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 07:27 PM

Really can't go wrong with the Power Tackle PGC 170. It's a 7' glass rod. It will handle the 10xd all day long and will not wear you out
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 07:30 PM

Love my Cumara
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 07:47 PM

Dobyns 806 and 705 are great crank bait rods depending on what size crank you are using.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 11:05 PM

Guys, if you read what he wants, HE DOES NOT WANT A DEEP CB ROD. He wants an all-around rod to handle ALL CRANKS. Most of the ones mentioned are intended for DEEP CBs. A few mentioned are all-purpose, but he wants something to throw DEEP CBs AND little bitty squarebills. Just something to think about. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains.

I might also consider a St. Croix Avid 7'0" MH rod for the all-purpose, too.
Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/19/15 11:38 PM

Thanks for the input guys I've been using a castaway long cast launcher but it broke on me so I just need a replacemt for it.
Posted By: starclan

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 12:58 AM

I like the Powell 6104 and 755 crankbait rods.
Posted By: serg1001

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 03:54 AM

I know you want an all around CB rod but there is a big difference in weight from the smallest crank bait out there to the biggest one. That being said, something not too long and not too short. I would say to stay around 7 ft 2 or 4 in. My bps cranking stick feels nice and works good with 6XDs but it is a 7 ft 10 in and I got it specifically for deep divers. Good luck on your decision.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 05:49 AM

Check out the new rods from icast 2015. It should give you an idea of what you want.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 06:24 AM

Get on Ebay and search for a Quantum "KVD TOUR? cranking rod in 7'4". It's a composite rod and there is a guy that bought all the 13' inventory and I purchased several at $60-$75 a piece last year.They are brand new in the package and are an excellent rod for the money...
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 05:38 PM

If you are on a budget look at a Duckett line of crank bait rods.

Dobyns and Power Tackle rods might be out of your price range.
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 06:46 PM

I love my Abu Veritas Crankin rod. Runs 1/2 to 1-3/8. Great action and sensitivity for a $100 rod.
Posted By: 1 Oar

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 11:36 PM

Mojo Glass 7 4 Crankster $119

Tried alot of other brands for more money.
Posted By: Lake_Nasworthy_Kid

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/20/15 11:44 PM

ducket ghost... cheap and durable
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 01:18 AM

Powell 804CB mod fast I've used it for rattle baits as small as 3/16 ounce up to 3/4 ounce, crank baits from a CB-6 (1/4 ounce) to Strike king 10x deep divers. Also, spinner baits from 3/8 to 3/4 ounce and 3/8 to 1/2 ounce buzz baits. Even tied a Spro rubber frog on with pretty fair results. Casts lures a country mile, has good backbone and is as sensitive as any CB rod I've ever owned. Very versatile, I love it.
Posted By: bell0347

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 03:36 AM

I've been using the Academy Ethos cranking rods. They are not the most sensitive or lightest out there but if your looking for cost effective you could get the 7' M composite cranker and the 7'10" Mag composite cranker for $79.99 a piece. If you catch them on sale you can save $20 per rod. I throw shallow/medium cranks on the 7' and 6xd's, DD22's etc on the 7'10" and it will flat out launch them. Pretty decent rods for the $$$.
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 03:44 AM

best cranking rod for the money... go to tackle warehouse and get the lucky craft 7MH.
Itll be good for shallow runners bc its glass and not just graphite but itll also give you enough backbone for deeper divers.

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 03:46 AM

dont get a duckett ghost they are cheaply made just like the veritas! ive broken 3 veritas rods and wont get abu's anymore. I like ducketts but not the cheap ghost model.
Posted By: Lake_Nasworthy_Kid

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 04:15 AM

i definitely agree with you on the veritas. the eyes kept coming off so i had to take em back. the ghost are alright for people who are tight on budgets. im just trying it out to see how the ducketts are. i have already broke it once but not bad for the price.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 08:56 AM

Originally Posted By: TanHner36
I love my Abu Veritas Crankin rod. Runs 1/2 to 1-3/8. Great action and sensitivity for a $100 rod.

2Nd'ed. Best cranking rod for the cash imo. Paired with orra wi ch you have one mean cheap cranking rig. No clue how anyone could break them... Be mindful of where you buy them and inspect for repairs pre purchase though. I've got about a dozen and have only had one get damaged when I was helping a passenger and left line in water om accident and the TM head sucked it in, still barely chipped the eyelet insert. Hell, they are tough enough I've seen guides supply them, thats proof enough for their durability imo even without testimony from myself or others. I can tell you that I have yet to meat a single person who owns only one as well, and most who I have let fish with mine somehow tend to show up with one themselves sooner or later as well haha

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 06:52 PM

If youre in irving I highly suggest going to Cabelas IN FW or Allen and getting the Tournament ZX series. Theyre fantastic rods! and imo exceed other rods priced higher. They have a new cranking series and they run 100 and a lot of times on sale for 75.
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 07:15 PM

ABU Veritas Winch 7'6" MH $99. I can throw 1/4 to 1 oz baits. Hasn't let me down. And if it does it's on $99
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: bFROG5
dont get a duckett ghost they are cheaply made just like the veritas! ive broken 3 veritas rods and wont get abu's anymore. I like ducketts but not the cheap ghost model.

And don't listen to him!
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 07:32 PM

there's a guy in the classifieds selling a couple Dobyns Champion cranking rods for a real good price. The 705 might be what you're looking for
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
there's a guy in the classifieds selling a couple Dobyns Champion cranking rods for a real good price. The 705 might be what you're looking for
I like the 705 so much I bought 2 of them.

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/21/15 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: GoArmy
Originally Posted By: bFROG5

And don't listen to him!

Yes you should listen bc I tried the veritas series so Im not just criticizing them bc i want to. Ive caught my pb on a veritas 9.83 Ive had 3 diff appplications. They dont last like a lot of other rods. IMO Veritas are overrated. the only thing i like about them is that they are sensitive. for an all around rod find something better and dont jump on the veritas/ghost bandwagon.
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Best cranking rod? - 07/22/15 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Red Eye Bandit
Power tackle glass rod thumb

Power Tackles glass rods the 7'3 would work the best you can throw a 6xd a mile with it. Plus all there rods are made right in house in Del Rio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum