Texas Fishing Forum

A question for you light liners. . .

Posted By: timwins31

A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 12:10 AM

What type of knots are you using with light lb test (less than 10lb) mono, copoly, and braid? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 12:48 AM

knot to line, knot to lures what are you tying to?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 12:53 AM

Crazy Alberto knot
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 01:05 AM

With 8 lb fluoro I use improved clinch. But with 6 lb copolymer I've been using for finesse worms I broke off during hook sets at the knot. It would break where it looped around the eye of the hook. So I tried going threw the eye of the hook an extra time then doing the improved clinch knot. I haven't broke at the knot since then. (saw that on a goliath grouper video, before tying to the leader, he wrapped the eye a second time so I thought I'd try it too since it was breaking at the eye)
Posted By: That Possum

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 01:09 AM

Improved clinch for mono or flouro.

Palomar for braid.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 01:39 AM

8 pound mono and a Trilene knot. Will pretty much stand up to anything.........

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: msg_f91
With 8 lb fluoro I use improved clinch. But with 6 lb copolymer I've been using for finesse worms I broke off during hook sets at the knot. It would break where it looped around the eye of the hook. So I tried going threw the eye of the hook an extra time then doing the improved clinch knot. I haven't broke at the knot since then. (saw that on a goliath grouper video, before tying to the leader, he wrapped the eye a second time so I thought I'd try it too since it was breaking at the eye)

That's very interesting. I too was using a clinch but with 8lb copoly. I broke off a big fish and two more on hooksets the same morning and I could tell my line was snapping at the knot. I've always tied very good knots and I'm not used to my line breaking period, especially at my knot. So I instantly suspected the clinch knot was the issue. I used to use the improved clinch and have gotten lazy and stopped. Time to go back I think.

For braid I use a Palomar too. I haven't had any issues with that knot ever, no matter what line I use. . .
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 01:50 AM

palomar. have not broke off a fish. its one of the strongest most reliable you can tie.
Posted By: Roll Tide Ranger

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 02:04 AM

I use the palomar knot for everything I tie on. I have not had any issues with it at all
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31

That's very interesting. I too was using a clinch but with 8lb copoly. I broke off a big fish and two more on hooksets the same morning and I could tell my line was snapping at the knot. I've always tied very good knots and I'm not used to my line breaking period, especially at my knot. So I instantly suspected the clinch knot was the issue. I used to use the improved clinch and have gotten lazy and stopped. Time to go back I think.

For braid I use a Palomar too. I haven't had any issues with that knot ever, no matter what line I use. . .

Also with high lb test line I don't really notice line burning when I tie knots, but with lighter line like 8 and 6 lb when I go to tighten down the knot I can see the line change color. I'm guessing it burned from the friction. So with 8 and 6 I started wetting the line before pulling tight.

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 03:29 AM

Again I noticed the same. But I noticed it after wetting the line. I actually got curious the other day and went and tied the entire knot under water in the sink. It still had the thinned, burned look to it. So I'm wondering now if a friction knot is a good idea period. That's always been the big allure of the Palomar for me, very very little line friction when tying.
Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Crazy Alberto knot
I use this knot for my 15lb super slick and 8lb flouro never had one problem.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 12:16 PM

One pro was looking for the best knot for notoriously slippery Nanofil and found that looping through the eye of the hook twice then a San Diego Jam knot worked the very best. He then demonstrated that the line broke almost every time before the knot. I like this knot for light braids.

Speaking of San Diego Jam knots, knots in general are circumstantial. If you are tying on a 6" lure with three large treble hooks dangling off of it, a Palomar likely isn't the way to go because of that last pass over and around a large and pointy lure. But, for a drop shot hook with a long leader to the drop weight, it is great whereas a uni knot or some other wrap friction knot would be tough to tie pulling that necessarily long tag end around and around to form the knot.

I use a Palomar, a uni and an Improved San Diego Jam most of the time, all super easy to tie, strong in tests, and I use each one depending on what I am tying on.

Brad
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 12:57 PM

I use the San Diego Jam for fluoro and copolymer. Palomar for braid.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop_shot_king
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Crazy Alberto knot
I use this knot for my 15lb super slick and 8lb flouro never had one problem.

+1 Strong, easy to tie line to line knot that goes through the guides well.

For line to hook I always use the doubled uni.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 02:51 PM

Alberto and uni-to-uni knots are great line junction knots and easy to tie.

But, neither is nearly as strong or as narrow as an FG.

An Alberto is one line (1) wrapped around two lines (2) then reversing the other way and wrapping another time (1) then tied off. Total? 4

A uni-to-uni is one line (1) wrapped around two lines (2) for a total of 3. But this knot will be performed twice in opposite directions and slammed together, so it is relatively longer but thinner than an Alberto. "Longer" carries its own issues.

An FG is simply two lines woven together in a criss-cross pattern, sort of snugging into each other for a value of something I think less than 2. Just looking at it, an FG appears no larger than the largest of the two lines comprising it.

I can feel an Alberto and a uni-to-uni knot passing through the rod tip when I reel in. I often can't detect the FG knot passing through at all.

For now, I'd tie the FG at home before going out . . . until I get a bit better at it. If I broke off my leader, I might use one of the other two if I were in a rush or had some space issues.

Brad
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 06:39 PM

Ok I'll bite, whats FG?
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 07:03 PM

This is what the Google told me, I had never heard of it either. FG is the name of an actual knot called the FG Knot. FG Knot is a streamlined knot for braid to leader connections.
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: A question for you light liners. . . - 07/15/15 10:10 PM

polamar on every thing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum