Texas Fishing Forum

A break from off shore

Posted By: CrankBait1007

A break from off shore - 07/12/15 08:28 PM

Trying to get more accustomed to fishing the bank. knowing that sometimes i need to leave the comfort of fishing the middle. Don't like it but i do enjoy flipping. Curious how many of you flip with a baitcaster with magnetic versus centrifugal brakes [Linked Image]
Posted By: fuzzion

Re: A break from off shore - 07/12/15 08:34 PM

clap thumb
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: A break from off shore - 07/12/15 08:48 PM

I love your boat man!!! Always dig the net toss!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: A break from off shore - 07/12/15 09:03 PM

Magnetic, but this year I've been flipping a lot with a size 4000 Shimano Sienna and 65lb braid or 25lb fluoro depending on cover type. Little bit of a learning curve learning to feather the line with your forefinger instead of thumb.

Re: A break from off shore - 07/12/15 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Magnetic, but this year I've been flipping a lot with a size 4000 Shimano Sienna and 65lb braid or 25lb fluoro depending on cover type. Little bit of a learning curve learning to feather the line with your forefinger instead of thumb.

Collin why the change to a spinning reel. i used to think i could do anything with a spinning reel someone could do with a baitcaster....now much easier with the baitcaster. but you're right you can feather the line
Posted By: CCTX

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 12:44 AM

I can't stand up in my kayak and it's right at water level, so it's difficult use the standard pitching/flipping technique (lure gets stuck in the water as you dip the rod tip). With a spinning reel/rod, it's easier for me to do sort of a side arm roll cast with the weight and lure traveling underneath the rod and then feathering. This way, the lure travels in the air almost parallel to the water and enters the water softly and accurately with the feathering.

However, if I could stand, I'd use a baitcaster/baitcasting rod--they are just better designed for heavier weights and wrenching out bass+grass.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 12:50 AM

I enjoy your videos CrankBait and really like that boat of yours. What's the chance that you might post some pics or video of your boat and how you have it rigged?

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I can't stand up in my kayak and it's right at water level, so it's difficult use the standard pitching/flipping technique (lure gets stuck in the water as you dip the rod tip). With a spinning reel/rod, it's easier for me to do sort of a side arm roll cast with the weight and lure traveling underneath the rod and then feathering. This way, the lure travels in the air almost parallel to the water and enters the water softly and accurately with the feathering.

However, if I could stand, I'd use a baitcaster/baitcasting rod--they are just better designed for heavier weights and wrenching out bass+grass.

i gotcha man makes sense!

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: GTrigg
I enjoy your videos CrankBait and really like that boat of yours. What's the chance that you might post some pics or video of your boat and how you have it rigged?
GTrigg here's a few but i will do a video
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 02:11 PM

I think the magnetic brakes help the most. Biggest thing I've learned is to make sure you have a fast enough reel for flipping. I used to use a 6:4 and then moved to a 7:1...now my flipping reels are all 7:1 or 9:1....get em out quick and make it easier on yourself!!

Nice fish!!
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 02:35 PM

Sorry, I'm going to be the butthead here. It's just a peeve of mine. Again sorry. But there is Pitching and Flipping. Crankbait your Pitching! But to answer your question since it is such a short cast it doesn't seem to make any difference to me. The adjustment I will some times make will be with the tension knob for a little faster or slower bait drop. Depending on the weight of the lure. By the way you do have an amazing boat!
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 02:58 PM

Crankbait, you are probably one of the most watched guys on video here on the forum. I always look forward to seeing them.Thanks for sharing.

Re: A break from off shore - 07/13/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: GoArmy
Sorry, I'm going to be the butthead here. It's just a peeve of mine. Again sorry. But there is Pitching and Flipping. Crankbait your Pitching! But to answer your question since it is such a short cast it doesn't seem to make any difference to me. The adjustment I will some times make will be with the tension knob for a little faster or slower bait drop. Depending on the weight of the lure. By the way you do have an amazing boat!
GoArmy you are absolutely right... i do know the difference and still say Flippin.... just sounds cool. grin i never say i was pitchin the bank. But you are right i need to stop using the wrong word. thanks for the boat complement thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum