Texas Fishing Forum

? Baitcast vs Spinning Ques - Arm Strength/Tiring

Posted By: DCmac

? Baitcast vs Spinning Ques - Arm Strength/Tiring - 07/10/15 05:35 PM

Is using a baitcast rig inherently more tiring than a spinning rig?

Was in the back yard pretending to practice trying to learn how to use a baitcast rig. (After +2 months of occaional practice I feel like I'm just barely beginning to get a hang of it.) After about a half hour I was done, felt that the old arm wasn't going to take any more. It was still a little sore this morn. When I'm fishing with spinning rigs I can go all day long. There's no significant difference between the rigs as far as I can tell, same length rods, same mono line, altho I suspect the baitcast reel is a little bit lighter than the spinning reels I fish with.
?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: ? Baitcast vs Spinning Ques - Arm Strength/Tiring - 07/10/15 05:52 PM

DCmac,

Everything should actually be and feel lighter on spinning tackle than casting rods and reels, but closer nowadays. If they feel the same to you, your spinning tackle is either too heavy, or your casting rod and reel is too light.

And, the balance point on the spinning reel should be right at the hand holding the rod, and if you have used spinning gear a lot as it appears you have, that likely gives it an advantage over the casting gear.

Even when you get out on the water, the spinning reel retrieve is "rod based" where the line is pulled in with the rod then reeled up with little or no reel resistance; with a baitcaster, the reel acts, at times, as a winch.

Throwing crankbaits all day long has to require much more effort than a lightly casted drop shot or a weightless worm.

Brad
Posted By: cove_crawler

Re: ? Baitcast vs Spinning Ques - Arm Strength/Tiring - 07/10/15 07:41 PM

I haven't noticed any extra fatigue with baitcasting vs spinning on casting, but my hands start to hurt quicker using spinning because I have a habit of holding the rod where my fingers sit on either side of the reel mount.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum