Texas Fishing Forum

Rusty hooks

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Rusty hooks - 07/09/15 09:45 PM

I discovered my tackle storage bin had about 2" of water and all the lures on the bottom now have rusty hooks. It's just surface rust so I am not concerned about the integrity of the hook, but do you think it will hinder the bite? Of course, assuming that my non-rusty hooks ever get bit.
Posted By: Mybrainisflied

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/09/15 09:58 PM

Change them all. No question. Rust creates resistance. Microscopic surface pitting is the result of rust. Even light surface oxidation. It will not allow for smooth penetration of tissue. Look at the bright side......excuse to upgrade hooks.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/09/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mybrainisflied
Change them all. No question. Rust creates resistance. Microscopic surface pitting is the result of rust. Even light surface oxidation. It will not allow for smooth penetration of tissue. Look at the bright side......excuse to upgrade hooks.

+1. Just replace them.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/09/15 10:40 PM

Yea replace them man. Hooks are too expensive anyway.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/09/15 10:46 PM

If it is just on the surface spray then with Rem Oil and wipe them off and it will come off. if they are pitting change them out
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/09/15 11:22 PM

Replace them.

If you don't, they will be on your mind every bite you get.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/10/15 03:39 AM

Replace
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/10/15 03:56 AM

I guess the votes are in. Looks like I need to go buy a bunch of treble hooks and split rings. Thanks for the input. This'll be a good sittin-on-the-tailgate-drinking-beer-Sunday-afternoon project.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/10/15 12:43 PM

Get a pair of these split ring pliers and it's easy peasy, I have the orange handle, they work great!

http://texastackle.com/pliers.htm
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Rusty hooks - 07/10/15 01:47 PM

Get one rusty hook in you lock jaw....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum