Texas Fishing Forum

gunfish help needed

Posted By: RickS

gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 02:21 AM

I love walking the dog with the lucky craft gunfish! My hook up ratio needs help.So what is the best way to land more fish? It's amazing how a fish can take a bait under and not get hooked. So how do you guys set the hook on a walk the dog or any top water bait?
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 03:03 AM

First don't set the hook upon sight of the blow up, wait till you feel em

Don't do a reel all the way down towards em do a cross their eyes style hookset, just reel down and sweep on that style bait, like a light Carolina rig hookset where you have to take up the slack then drive the hook home
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 03:08 AM

Add an O-ring on each hook.

Go watch a YouTube video called Topwater Strikes 2014. I think that's the name. It's strike after strike on a Zara Spook. You'll see how patient the guy is and how he doesn't use much raw power to set the hook.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 01:27 PM

The gunfish comes with o-rings on each hook, already.

Rick, I know it's hard but you have to wait until you feel the fish (typically after the blow-up subsides to a swirl), then reel as fast as possible until you feel the rod begin to load up. Then make a sweeping hookset like Cody stated.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 02:29 PM

The bait has treble hooks, the fish will hook themselves. Keep walking the bait, the fish will pull it down and hook themselves; when you feel the weight, sweep to the side lightly and reel into them.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide-Cody Malone
First don't set the hook upon sight of the blow up, wait till you feel em

Don't do a reel all the way down towards em do a cross their eyes style hookset, just reel down and sweep on that style bait, like a light Carolina rig hookset where you have to take up the slack then drive the hook home

+1 this man knows what hes talking about
Posted By: Bucketjaw

Re: gunfish help needed - 07/07/15 05:04 PM

A medium action crankbait rod may help also...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum