Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing grass

Posted By: Aggie34

Fishing grass - 07/02/15 10:32 PM

Hey guys, what's yalls best advice on fishing grass or vegetation that is in 10-20ft of water. It grows from. The bottom all the way to the surface. Ya'll still flip a trig or jig? Thanks
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Fishing grass - 07/02/15 10:35 PM

PUNCH!

ULTIMATE HAND TO HAND CONTEST WITH A FISH!

I'LL PUNCH A FISH IN THE MOUTH ANY DAY!

throw a frog an swim jig too
Posted By: tbates86

Re: Fishing grass - 07/02/15 11:41 PM

I'll drag a t-rig through it if its not horribly thick. Maybe dig the hook back in the he worm a little deeper. I think flukes get through it easier also by design, covering the hook. But 20 foot tall stuff is too much for soft plastics I think. Frogs, weedless spoons (awesome for this), swim jigs.

Edit: smaller hooks, like 2, will catch less grass also if you go that route, but gives you a small disadvantage if hog boss takes a liking to it.

Edit 2: and use heavy line. A bass in the grass isn't easy to drag out. Its like reeling through cement.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Fishing grass - 07/02/15 11:56 PM

Really depends on how thick it's growing and what the underlying structure may be. Locating the fish and how they are relating to the grass usually requires you to pick it apart top to bottom.

Re: Fishing grass - 07/03/15 12:34 AM

The grass is almost like a column of water. I've done fairly good fishing around it. They grow in clumps. Pretty tough stuff not your average hydrilla. They are feeding on the Bluegill that hang out in the columns. Just wanted to give them a different look
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fishing grass - 07/03/15 02:54 AM

This will help you get that huge fish you have been looking for. Nothing will beat it. It works everywhere, shallow mat but best on the deepest grass you can find. You got to keep going until you find that sweet spot, pitch out the marker and circle it looking for others because they will be grouped up under the hollow.
If the wind is blowing you can get in there on the upwind side; put the trolling motor up and big motor up and walk the boat across the mat by rocking the boat from side to side.
In the heat of the day they are burred up in the grass.

Rig a heavy drop shot rig:
5.0 heavy super line hook. Tied on 50# braid. Use a Palomar knot. Leave the tag end at 5 inches long. Tie a 1 oz. weight to the tag end. I just tie a knot in the end of the tag, then use a overhand slip knot to attach the weight. It doesn't take much to keep it on. When I am fishing grass and hardwoods and it gets hung on the wood I can pull it off and come out with the hook and fish. You understand that the hook is about 4 to 5 inches above the weight, so the tails of the bait will hang down and cover the weight.
Use a Gene Lawrue Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon.
It will drop in the grass and come out of the grass with no hang-ups.
Fish vertical to 20% in front of the boat. Directly over the bait is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom. The Bass hate anything sneaking in on them. Hold it there with a tight line for about 5 seconds without any movement. They don't want it bouncing up and down. This gives them time to swim through the hollow under the grass and nail the bait.
Vertical presentation and moving along the outer edge of the grass line, making pitches out in front of the boat so by the time it gets to the bottom you are directly over the bait for the hook set.
HAVE FUN!!

Re: Fishing grass - 07/03/15 03:30 AM

Nope would of never tried that!! That's thinking outside the box! I will definitely do this! Thanks a lot! That's why I get on here
Posted By: tbates86

Re: Fishing grass - 07/03/15 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Fish vertical to 20% in front of the boat. Directly over the bait is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom.

This is good stuff.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fishing grass - 07/03/15 02:51 PM

I would like to add; you almost never loose a bass on this rig. I put a over hand small know on the end of the tag line, then tie a slip knot to attach the weight. When fishing hard woods and deep grass if the weight gets hung up you can always pull the weight off the rig and come out with the fish.

Lots have asks where to get these weights. BPS sells them now. Some BPS stores still have them in the Salt Water Section, some still refer to them as Trolling Weights. I do not use the swivel that comes attached to them. Just cut it off because there is no line twist with this rig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum