Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling motor opinions

Posted By: Skeeter291

Trolling motor opinions - 07/02/15 09:47 PM

Having to get a new TM and have it narrowed down to minn Kota but can't decide between the Fortrex 112 or the Terrova 112. Anyone have any input between the two. Pros or cons that you experienced
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Trolling motor opinions - 07/02/15 11:10 PM

My terrova motor went bad. Would not turn side to side. I sent it in to minn kota. They said it has been used in saltwater. I never have been in saltwater with my boat. I fish east Texas. The had problems with there saltwater terrova'a with the seal going bad. They said my seal was bad. Once I get it fixed I will sell it. If the seals go bad every 2 years and cost me $700 I will go back to motorguide. My friend has a fortrex and loves it. Has lift assist on it.. They said they will not fix it but they fixed the saltwater one's even though they were out of warranty.
Posted By: bobrfishes

Re: Trolling motor opinions - 07/02/15 11:11 PM

I've had both and now have an Ulterra. The extra bucks are worth it.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Trolling motor opinions - 07/03/15 02:02 AM

Really comes down to a preference. Some people love the features on Ulterras while others hate losing the touch of the cable control. I have the Terrova and love it. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to the Ulterra. It does take some getting used to but I can control mine better than I ever have been able to a cable control plus I can do it from anywhere in the boat. It really let me stop fighting with boat control and concentrate on fishing. I have a small boat so it can get pushed around in open water when it is rough. I never fished deep water because it was just a PIA to stay where I wanted and retie lures, etc. Now, as long as I'm not taking water over the bow, I'll fish anywhere on the lake and not think twice about it and enjoy doing it.

I've already decided that I'll never own another boat without an Ulterra
Posted By: Roll Tide Ranger

Re: Trolling motor opinions - 07/03/15 02:19 AM

I have the motor guide Xi5 and though I can't speak to longevity because I have only fished it once but after one trip I sure do like it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum