Texas Fishing Forum

Fished Falcon Monday, June 29

Posted By: jdk1985

Fished Falcon Monday, June 29 - 07/02/15 06:51 PM

So, I finally got down to fish Falcon, which I have wanted to do for a very long time. My brother and I made a south TX fishing road trip, and Falcon was the first stop. I booked one of Billy Tompkins's specials that he posted on TFF. Billy was not able to be at Falcon at the time I needed to book the trip, and he arranged for another guide to take us out. The other guide never got in touch with us, so Billy arranged for a third guide to take us out last minute. I could not be happier with the individual Billy asked to take us out, Mark P. If you know Falcon, and tournament winners at Falcon from a few years back, you probably know who I am talking about.

The lake was rough on Monday, and that made fishing all the more difficult. Nevertheless, Mark worked his butt off to find us some fish, and we rounded out the day with 20-ish bass. Nothing was too big, but it was nice to catch some. Mark caught the biggest of the day at around 4#. Also caught a catfish, and Mark even let us do some bow fishing where I managed to shoot a decent sized carp.

The fish wanted nothing to do with big baits. 5" senkos with red flakes and garlic were the key for success. I managed to catch the catfish on a gold bad shad chatter bait, and I missed a big fish on the chatter bait soon thereafter. We missed a few on SK red eye shad. We only threw deep cranks at one spot, and they did not produce anything. The Mexico side produced better for us than the TX side.

We stayed at Billy Tompkins lodge. It was nice, very clean, and right on the lake... highly recommended. We fished at the house the evening before Mark took us out, and we fished topwater at the house the morning of our trip. I caught one small bass on a buzz bait. Quail and dove were everywhere.

Falcon is a really interesting lake, and I've been infatuated with it for awhile. This first trip down there confirmed my suspicion that I'll be back down there time and time again in the future.

This MONSTER was the first fish of the trip, caught on a buzz bait at Billy Tompkins lodge... right after I had to wade in to retrieve a popper.

This is the smaller of my brothers two bigger fish, caught with Mark P.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Fished Falcon Monday, June 29 - 07/02/15 06:53 PM

Notice the Falcon rod... how appropriate.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum