Texas Fishing Forum

How do you fish your worms?

Posted By: Chris_K

How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 03:40 PM

I've noticed on tv that a lot of pros keep their worms moving. I was watching them fish a C rig and shakey head and notice that they don't really work the bait with the rod, they were just reeling it back dragging it across the bottom. How do you fish yours? Slow or keep it moving?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 03:46 PM

Both
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 04:10 PM

No right way, wrong way or better way. Just the way that's getting bit.
Posted By: atisch12

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 04:33 PM

On a hook bolt
Posted By: raveon

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 06:22 PM

I usually throw it into a spot that looks "fishy" and let it fall to the bottom. if not bit I shake it a little. then I do a lift and let it fall pattern back to me.
Sometimes I drag it on the bottom but i do it with the rod and just reel the slack.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 09:52 PM

slow unless I get a birdsnest then it is still. catch them both ways
Posted By: timwins31

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 10:12 PM

Slow, slower, and even slower.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/01/15 11:03 PM

I fish mine weightless. My buddy noticed it the other and commented on it as I pulled in a 5 lb'er. Surprised me too!!
Posted By: Marooned

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 02:34 AM

Make a cast and let it fall to the bottom. Not uncommon to get bit on the fall. After the worm hits the bottom, I work it back in small hops off the bottom. I like to fish my worms on a shaky head jig - favorite is an Owner because it has a spring lock with a centering pin and a 4/0 hook.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 03:55 AM

I usually just hop it or drag it, and a combination of both. I have also noticed pro fisherman just slowly reel it back in, maybe I should try it.
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 05:33 AM

I'm a shaker!
Posted By: TanHner36

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 10:24 AM

I fish them multiple ways but the style I use most is a twitch twich pause
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 12:19 PM

I like to fish a Carolina rig around grass, but around brush, I stay with the texas rig.
I keep two rigged, one with a light slip sinker and one with a heavy one. Also have a weighless wacky worm rigged and usually a small shaky head. Then I carry a top water rod, chatter bait rod and a road runner rod rigged up.
If there is any room left in the boat, I get in!
I fish the worm any way that happens to work that day.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: It's a giant!
I've noticed on tv that a lot of pros keep their worms moving. I was watching them fish a C rig and shakey head and notice that they don't really work the bait with the rod, they were just reeling it back dragging it across the bottom. How do you fish yours? Slow or keep it moving?

When you see the pros on TV they are looking for actively feeding fish. They are normally fishing a very specific target even if it appears they are throwing into open water. Maybe they have located a shell bed the size of a pool table on a ledge. They are casting to it and quickly working the lure to it. Or they throw a bait at a dock and let it fall next to the cross members. Once it hits bottom they hop it a couple times and reel it back.

There is no right or wrong way to fish a plastic worm or even a RattleTrap for that matter. You let the fish tell you how to fish it.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 01:41 PM

I learned to fish using a jig, so I fish a worm the same way.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 01:57 PM

There are countless ways to "work your worm" and no general right and wrong way. Each day can be different. Time of day can be different. You have to find what they want, be conscious about it, and repeat it when you find what triggers the bite. It takes concentration and focus. Stay connected with your worm all the time. Many times the biggest fish offer the lightest bite and all you will see is your line twitch on the fall or you may only feel the slightest little tick. Set the hook on "one thousand three".

Remember this, "It ain't how deep you fish, its how you wiggle your worm!" Sorry I couldn't resist.
Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 02:22 PM

I have taught mine to crawl up the line and tease the fish into bitting. I can use a worm all day long and never have to get another one unless the first one gets tired and needs a break.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: How do you fish your worms? - 07/02/15 02:27 PM

I wiggle my worm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum