Texas Fishing Forum

Question for guys who fish brush piles

Posted By: Gman72

Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:37 AM

If your fishing a texas rig do you peg the weight?

Do you think pegging keeps it from hanging up more?
Posted By: MidloMan

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:48 AM

Yes. I peg the weight every time I fish a Texas rig.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:52 AM

Thanks middle man.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Gman72
Thanks middle man.

Darn spell check.....midloman
Posted By: formula462

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:55 AM

there,s always a middle man
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: MidloMan
Yes. I peg the weight every time I fish a Texas rig.

+1 Me too... every time.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 02:00 AM

Pegging the weight definitely helps you stay in contact with the bait. In heavy cover the weight and worm can easily separate and cause you to lose feel. If your weight is down the line on one side of a limb and the worm is on the other side it could prevent you from feeling a bite. Peg it.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 02:48 AM

I've been a Texas rig first guy for 39 years.....never pegged a sinker in my life......

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 03:33 AM

And FYI.... I wack the stink off them on piles with a T rig drop shot where the weight is 12" from the bait.....1/4 ounce skinny tungsten...
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
T rig drop shot where the weight is 12" from the bait.....1/4 ounce skinny tungsten...

T Rig I get. Drop shot 12" with a 1/4oz skinny tungsten i get. T-rig Dropshot? hmmm can you elaborate on this rig?

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 04:00 AM

Hook is an offset owner 1/0.....I T rig my zoom finess worms....
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin
T rig drop shot where the weight is 12" from the bait.....1/4 ounce skinny tungsten...

T Rig I get. Drop shot 12" with a 1/4oz skinny tungsten i get. T-rig Dropshot? hmmm can you elaborate on this rig?

I think he means the hook is "Texas Rigged" versus nose-hooked.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

I think he means the hook is "Texas Rigged" versus nose-hooked.

Got it. yeah. a weedless, snag resistant, dropshot rig.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 08:17 AM

And FYI.... I wack the stink off them on piles with a T rig drop shot where the weight is 12" from the bait.....1/4 ounce skinny tungsten...

There's no such thing as a T-rigged drop shot. You are describing a drop shot that's rigged weedless instead of nose hooked. Drop shots have nothing to do with the posters question on pegging the bullet weight on T-rigs while fishing brush piles. Your drop shot weight that's 12" from the bait is also irrelevant to pegging the bullet weight on a T-rig to prevent the weight from sliding up the line. Different techniques with different pros and cons.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 09:23 AM

Always peg it.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 01:45 PM

I don't see any issues pegging it for fishing brush piles, it makes sense in that application, but once you do so and the sinker is rendered stationary, it is really more accurately then a Florida Rig if it is pegged adjacent to the plastic, just one without a specialized screw-in sinker to hold it in place.

But, always pegged? No. With a Texas rig, after the original cast, each pop or long slow pull separates the sinker temporarily from the plastic and whatever action you then use works the worm through a column of water from the very bottom to a foot or more up. It depends on whether the slack is in place between the sinker and the plastic or if you have pulled it out.

Yes, they often refer to a version of the drop shot as Texas rigged, but they mean the hook rigged in the same manner. That hook setting is not unique to Texas rigging. What defines a Texas Rig IS the slipping of the sinker along with that hook arrangement. All others are the endless little customizations. We all make them or try them I think.

Anyway, it sure makes sense to want the sinker and the plastic on the same side of a branch fishing that way. I bet some of the old timers can do it un-pegged and never have an issue.

Brad
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 02:01 PM

Pros will tell you pegging the weight will really kill the action of a T rig. You guys who are pegging all the time are missing fish.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 03:14 PM

Epic......lighten up boy....just telling him a way I smoke them on brush piles.....and I can call it what I want...how about "Bubba shot".... I've heard that tossed around..... sarcastic

And Tim is spot on.....I recall recently one of the pros kept losing fish...stopped pegging, and stopped losing fish!

But you do what you want....
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 03:26 PM

My go to for fishing deep brush piles is a magnum shaky head 3/4 oz with 7/0 hook and 10" powerworm. It seams to be less prone to hang ups than the t-rig.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 04:05 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Looking forward to experimenting!

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 04:06 PM

Thanks Brad

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 04:14 PM

Epic......lighten up boy....just telling him a way I smoke them on brush piles.....and I can call it what I want...how about "Bubba shot".... I've heard that tossed around..... sarcastic

And Tim is spot on.....I recall recently one of the pros kept losing fish...stopped pegging, and stopped losing fish!

But you do what you want....

Hey, no worries bud. Of course you can call it what you want to....t-rig drop shot, bubba rig, betty boop rig, jack azz rig or whatever but it is what it is.

Trying to stay on point here with the OP's question. T-rigged plastics are all about setting up with the correct size and style of hook, weight, bait and line combo for the situation that's in front of you. When set up correctly, there are no reasons to be missing fish because the weight is pegged. It's really just a quick and more weedless type of leadhead setup. It's a useful and very productive option for fishing heavy cover.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 06:54 PM

https://youtu.be/wJU_3t0pxF8

Hey Epic.....Just Aaron Martins....what would he know

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 07:00 PM

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1468358-10-worm-fishing-secrets-you-may-not-know

And for the OG poster that's working hard to figure it out.....Larry Nixon is a master

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 07:28 PM

You can keep on looking up the latest terminology that your favorite pro is using on YouTube. I'm going to go get my T-rigged 10" Power Worm ready for a busy night....think I will peg it! I certainly don't have any issues missing bites.

Here's a paragraph from the Larry Nixon article that you just posted a link to;

“I’ve always believed that a pegged sinker causes me to lose more fish,” Nixon said. “With the weight so close to the worm, a big bass will get both the sinker and the hook in its mouth, which can result in many missed opportunities. Now, if I’m trying to penetrate cover and sink the worm into a small, precise area, I really don’t have a choice but to peg it. If I’m casting a worm, however, 99 percent of the time my sinker is sliding free on the line.”

The OP's question is about fishing heavy cover. It seems that Larry agrees with pegging the weight for the stated purpose. The same purpose that I will use it for. Situation dictates procedure. Not that hard to figure out.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 07:37 PM

I hope you catch a bunch....I'm about to head out in a couple hours...boat's hooked up and ready to pull out.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/27/15 08:22 PM

I've been a Texas rig first guy for 39 years.....never pegged a sinker in my life......
\
Me either. I do peg punch rigs though
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/28/15 02:13 AM

Count me in as one who has never pegged the weight on a Texas Rig going back to the very early '70s.
Posted By: Prat85

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/28/15 04:24 AM

Always peg it now days.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/28/15 01:08 PM

Good point made in the Larry Nixon quote and it sounds spot on . . . that he uses T-Rig the normal way most of the time but has those special situations where he pegs it. I think everyone would agree with that.

I just wouldn't call it a T-Rig if it were pegged.

And, if the weight is pegged, he mentions "missed opportunities" one of which cuold be more fish shaking off the hook with the leverage supplied by the pegged weight in its mouth.

A stand off of sorts: maybe drop a fish or two versus getting tangled up in the brush pile.

Pros have to make those sorts of determinations; we don't and can fish whatever way we want.

Brad
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/28/15 01:54 PM

+1
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/28/15 02:42 PM

Peg it. And, a reminder to those who put brushpiles out. Make sure that your lake does or doesn't require a permit to put them out. Some lakes do require permits.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 06/28/15 03:52 PM

Peg it wars and plastics rigging ambiguity...

I look at it this way; A rig type and a hooking variation are two different things.
A T-rig has traditionally been a soft plastic of your choice rigged with a bullet weight on the line and a straight or offset shank worm hook. Everyone knows this. Whether you expose the hook point, skin hook it or totally bury the barb doesn't change that. Everyone knows what a drop shot rig is. Hook it up weedless, nose hook it, wacky style or even wacky weedless. Carolina rig, same.
If we are calling a weedless drop shot a T-rigged drop shot then I guess we should then call a weedless Carolina rig a T-rigged Carolina-rig or a weedless split shot rig a T-rigged split shot rig and so on. I don't know why we need to muddle the terms.

My final comment on pegging is this; Pegging a T-rig all the time vs never pegging it are probably equal mistakes.

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 07/01/15 02:25 AM

Hey guys, I did a field test. It did appear to get snagged less when I pegged the weight. thanks for the tips!
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 07/01/15 01:41 PM

Peg the weight if fishing brush or flipping/pitching into cover. The leader that is often created can be prone to getting hung when you pull it through the cover. If t-rigging structure with no cover, then I don't peg and the lure often acts like a carolina rig.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Question for guys who fish brush piles - 07/01/15 02:22 PM

The only time that I'll peg it is when I am trying to punch through something on the top.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum